PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Mint: Win or Fail?

Lord Xeb
June 19th, 2008, 08:21 PM
What do you guys think? I LOVE it. It is so much easier to use that Ubuntu and I am using the latest version with little to no problems (actually none :D). It is a little different and has somethings that do not come with Ubuntu but that is easy to get around <_< >_> :guitar:

eragon100
June 19th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Win, but I don't care enough to install it. ubuntu is simple enough :)

bufsabre666
June 19th, 2008, 08:26 PM
win, its the number one linux i recomend to beginners, and i like it alot, but i just prefer ubuntu or opensuse

gameryoshi600
June 19th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I prefer (X)(K)(ed)ubuntus but mint is win for newbies.

billgoldberg
June 19th, 2008, 10:24 PM
http://jessenoller.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/vader-fail.jpg

aysiu
June 19th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I'd recommend it to new users expecting proprietary codecs out of the box, but I prefer vanilla Ubuntu.

Koori23
June 19th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I find it disturbing that leet speak is an option on a forum wide poll. That aside though, I like Mint. I don't use it, but I like it.

Exsecrabilus
June 19th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Ubuntu Mint: Win or Fail?
Your usage of the word "fail" fails so miserably.

hotweiss
June 19th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Mint is the best, using it now...

FFighter
June 20th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Mint rules. Great work the are doing there.

And I would replace the "for newbies" expression with "straightforward distribution". You could also say that it works better out-of-the-box than Ubuntu.

jrusso2
June 20th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Mint is by far best for new users and that's what I recommend. There are also some neat tools and the theme is a lot nicer then Ubuntu.

But Ubuntu is ok by me as I don't have a problem adding the codecs and flash and so forth.

But I think Ubuntu has missed the boat in providing an easy to use Linux for newbies, and they also stole the thunder from Linspire and Xandros with a more modern and just as easy to use distro.

Tom--d
June 20th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Mint rules. Great work the are doing there.

And I would replace the "for newbies" expression with "straightforward distribution". You could also say that it works better out-of-the-box than Ubuntu.

+1

I would recommend it to anyone who is new to Linux.

ibutho
June 20th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I prefer Mint over Ubuntu (and I am not a newbie). I like the additions they have made to Ubuntu, the theme, menu etc.

original_jamingrit
June 20th, 2008, 01:24 AM
I recommend Linux Mint to newbies, but not until after I've made at least one attempt to explain the main differences between it and Ubuntu.

I just don't think it reflects well on the Linux community at large if most people just jump into Linux Mint.

Lord Xeb
June 20th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Hmmm... Never tried it.... I will install virtualbox and check it out :D

Also, I like Mint since it is quick and easy. Ubuntu can be a pain at times but it is fun. I miss it but I am sticking with Mint for now since I do not feel like reinstalling it and finding all the packages all over again.

jrusso2
June 20th, 2008, 01:34 AM
I recommend Linux Mint to newbies, but not until after I've made at least one attempt to explain the main differences between it and Ubuntu.

I just don't think it reflects well on the Linux community at large if most people just jump into Linux Mint.

Why do you feel that it does not reflect well on the Linux community if people use Linux Mint?

I think whatever makes it easier for new users is good, long as they don't sign any agreements with Microsoft saying Linux violates patents.

D-EJ915
June 20th, 2008, 04:49 AM
I like Mint better because the theme isn't a visual abomination like Ubuntu's and the panel setup is superior.

ma_nkooo
June 20th, 2008, 05:00 AM
ubuntu is enough for me, don't want to install another one.

Jackelope
June 20th, 2008, 05:25 AM
I'm using Mint right now. Linux Mint 'just works' as they say and I'm very happy with it. The little things here and there just make it easier...and the menu alone makes it the best distro out there (IMHO). Once they get the version upgrade figured out it'll be serious competition for ubuntu (not that Ubuntu doesn't have plenty of awesomeness as well).

SomeGuyDude
June 20th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Mint has never worked right for me. It's always been like wearing a pair of pants that looks great but the material rides just a wee bit in all the wrong places.

Ubuntu's a pair of jeans that fit perfectly in the store but looked funny, but now that I've taken some time I've customized 'em pretty much perfectly.

gn2
June 20th, 2008, 08:38 AM
What Mint does it does well.

But it doesn't do any 64-bit version, or a current KDE or Xfce version.

Exsecrabilus
June 20th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Mint has never worked right for me. It's always been like wearing a pair of pants that looks great but the material rides just a wee bit in all the wrong places.

Ubuntu's a pair of jeans that fit perfectly in the store but looked funny, but now that I've taken some time I've customized 'em pretty much perfectly.
Yep. My wireless card just flies away when I boot in the Live CD.