PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to ask a question

chili555
June 19th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Although I have over 2000 posts here, this is my very first thread. I, and several others, love to help all of you get your network going so you can enjoy your Ubuntu Linux experience. There are, however, ways to ask a question that almost guarantee you are going to get a prompt answer from a friend who has your network card and knows how to get it going. Here is how I suggest you ask:

Please help me enable my Intel 3945ABG wireless

I have been having trouble connecting with my 3945ABG. Here is my sudo lshw -C network:
*-network UNCLAIMED
description: Wireless interface
product: PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
version: 02
serial: 00:19:d2:c2:1b:8d
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list logical ethernet physical wireless
wireless=IEEE 802.11gHere is my iwconfig:
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.I have tried activating my card in System -> Administration -> Network, but there is no wireless option. I also clicked the Network Manager icon, but no networks are shown. My network uses WPA-Personal encryption.

I will appreciate any help.In other words, give us your chipset and wired or wireless right in the title, give us sufficient detail to begin to diagnose and help you fix your problem and finally, tell us what you have tried and failed so far.

I love to answer posts like this!

I hate to answer posts like this:
So. Ok, my network doesnt werk, what can I do? tia

superprash2003
June 20th, 2008, 02:28 AM
nice post mate!!

milia
June 20th, 2008, 02:47 AM
The more general is the title of one's thread the less the possibility
for someone to read it :).

I agree with you chilli555.

And to mention, if you don't promote your problem correctly, then none
will care to click..

There should be somewhere a sticky about how to "ask questions" in this board but I think I've missed it.

Hmm or maybe I have the following link in mind:

"How To Ask Questions The Smart Way" (http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html)

It's really usefull. :KS