PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] HP dv6701

thejem
June 19th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Yesterday I did a fresh install of Hardy and used ndiswrapper with R174291.exe to make my 4315 wireless card work. I was connected to my wpa protected wireless fine and surfing the web. In the afternoon I let Hardy download and install 17? updates and after rebooting my wireless cards light wont even come on and no wireless found. I hate to do another install anybody have an idea what happened?

Ayuthia
June 19th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Yesterday I did a fresh install of Hardy and used ndiswrapper with R174291.exe to make my 4315 wireless card work. I was connected to my wpa protected wireless fine and surfing the web. In the afternoon I let Hardy download and install 17? updates and after rebooting my wireless cards light wont even come on and no wireless found. I hate to do another install anybody have an idea what happened?

Did you compile ndiswrapper? If so, there might have been a kernel update that requires you to recompile ndiswrapper. If you are not sure if you compiled ndiswrapper or not, open a Terminal and please post the results of:

ndiswrapper -l
Or if the results have a version of 1.53, then you will need recompile ndiswrapper.

EDIT: I just saw that you have a 4315 card. If there was a kernel update and you have linux-restricted-modules installed, a new driver was introduced called wl. Check lshw -C network and see if ndiswrapper or wl is showing up for your wireless driver. If it is wl and you are happy with ndiswrapper, try the following:
[code]echo blacklist wl|sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

thejem
June 19th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Did you compile ndiswrapper? If so, there might have been a kernel update that requires you to recompile ndiswrapper. If you are not sure if you compiled ndiswrapper or not, open a Terminal and please post the results of:

ndiswrapper -l
Or if the results have a version of 1.53, then you will need recompile ndiswrapper.

EDIT: I just saw that you have a 4315 card. If there was a kernel update and you have linux-restricted-modules installed, a new driver was introduced called wl. Check lshw -C network and see if ndiswrapper or wl is showing up for your wireless driver. If it is wl and you are happy with ndiswrapper, try the following:
[code]echo blacklist wl|sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
bob@laptop:~$ ndiswrapper -l
bcmwl5 : driver installed
device (14E4:4315) present (alternate driver: wl)
bob@laptop:~$
After having this problem I did remove ndiswrapper and downloaded lhe latest version and compiled it

cdtech
June 19th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Be sure you have the ndiswrapper module listed in your /etc/modules list so that it gets loaded during boot.

You could type sudo modprobe ndiswrapper to install the module to see if it works without rebooting.

Hope this helps......

P.S.
Never mind, beat me to it......

cdtech
June 19th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I had to blacklist these:

# everything to do with wireless
blacklist b44
blacklist ipv6
blacklist b43
blacklist b43legacy
blacklist ssb

And then reload the ndiswrapper without rebooting:

sudo modprobe -r b44
sudo modprobe -r b43
sudo modprobe -r b43legacy
sudo modprobe -r ssb
sudo modprobe -r ndiswrapper
sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

If that works then you should be ok on your next reboot with the blacklist.

thejem
June 19th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I did notic tho that my cards logical name used to be wlan0 and now it is eth1, but that may have been before the frsh install.

thejem
June 19th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Ok did all the blacklisting and still no wireless connection

Ayuthia
June 19th, 2008, 04:42 PM
bob@laptop:~$ ndiswrapper -l
bcmwl5 : driver installed
device (14E4:4315) present (alternate driver: wl)
bob@laptop:~$
After having this problem I did remove ndiswrapper and downloaded lhe latest version and compiled it
Try the following:

sudo modprobe -r b43 b44 ssb ndiswrapper wl
sudo depmod -ae
If that works, then you need to blacklist the wl driver.

cdtech
June 19th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Do you have your ndiswrapper file in the /etc/modprobe.d/ ?

cat:
alias wlan0 ndiswrapper

And what do you get with iwconfig and ifconfig.

thejem
June 19th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Hey success!!!! I need to blacklist wl....
Thank you thank you thank you!

cdtech
June 19th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Try the following:

sudo modprobe -r b43 b44 ssb ndiswrapper wl
sudo depmod -ae
If that works, then you need to blacklist the wl driver.

Thanks Ayuthia, I forgot about the wl module.