PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Deleted /tmp using rm -R /tmp now GDM keeps on crashin

nair.arun
June 19th, 2008, 01:20 PM
](*,) #-o I accidentally deleted the /tmp directory using sudo rm -R /tmp everything was fine till the time I didn't restart. Now after restart I'm not able to login through the GDM and tty 1-6 is just blank with cursor blinking. :( I'm due for a submission of my work and I want to complete it and recover from this problem.

Please Help Me.

joselin
June 19th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Use a live cd, mount your root partition and then create the directory tmp on your mounted root partition.

nair.arun
June 19th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Use a live cd, mount your root partition and then create the directory tmp on your mounted root partition.

Just tried it doesn't works GDM keep on crashing stating "The greeter application appears to be crashing. Attempting to use a different one"

krlhc8
June 19th, 2008, 01:56 PM
/tmp isn't really that important of a folder since random downloaded stuff is stored there, that's all. Are you sure you didn't delete anything else?

Anyways, reboot your machine, hit Escape to get to the GRUB menu, select the recovery-mode option, which should boot you up to a terminal. Just recreate the directory with the command below, and you should be good to go:

sudo mkdir /tmp

In your root directory, you should see the following directories:

bin, boot, dev, etc, home, initrd, lib, lost+found, media, mnt, opt, proc, root, sbin, srv, sys, tmp, usr, var

nair.arun
June 19th, 2008, 02:05 PM
/tmp isn't really that important of a folder since random downloaded stuff is stored there, that's all. Are you sure you didn't delete anything else?

Anyways, reboot your machine, hit F1 to get to the GRUB menu, select the recovery-mode option, which should boot you up to a terminal. Just recreate the directory with the command below, and you should be good to go:

sudo mkdir /tmp

In your root directory, you should see the following directories:

bin, boot, dev, etc, home, initrd, lib, lost+found, media, mnt, opt, proc, root, sbin, srv, sys, tmp, usr, var

Tried it made the /tmp directory but still doesn't works it just keeps on giving me the error of GDM greeter application crashing attempting to use another one and also my tty 0-6 are blank with the cursor blinking in normal mode but i can access the recovery mode but still doesn't works. I even tried http://liltux.wordpress.com/2007/09/05/how-to-fix-the-error-the-greeter-application-appears-to-be-crashing-in-ubuntu/ this post to fix the gdm greeter but its already there.

krlhc8
June 19th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Whenever I had that problem, I would hit ctrl+alt backspace whenever the GDM error message popped up. Did you load any new kernel recently? Maybe that's what is causing your problem. Try loading an earlier kernel in the GRUB menu. Like 2.6.24-17 or -16 or whatever works.

bijeeshvs
June 19th, 2008, 02:14 PM
hello arun what does gdm says when it get crashed????????????????

nair.arun
June 19th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Whenever I had that problem, I would hit ctrl+alt backspace whenever the GDM error message popped up. Did you load any new kernel recently? Maybe that's what is causing your problem. Try loading an earlier kernel in the GRUB menu. Like 2.6.24-17 or -16 or whatever works.

No new kernel has been updated and the older one than this also gives the same error

krlhc8
June 19th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Did you try pressing ctrl+alt backspace whenever the error popped up?

krlhc8
June 19th, 2008, 02:30 PM
As a temporary fix, what I did whenever I came across this problem was to edit gdm.conf in the terminal:

sudo pico /etc/gdm/gdm.conf

Edit the line:

Greeter=/usr/lib/gdm/gdmgreeter
to say:

Greeter=/usr/lib/gdm/gdmlogin

It should let you use your computer, but you'll have an ugly login screen.

nair.arun
June 19th, 2008, 02:36 PM
hello arun what does gdm says when it get crashed????????????????

It doesn't says anything but just gives a dialog box stating “The greeter application appears to be crashing trying to use a new one...” something like that and then it says that it has crashed 6 times in the last 90 seconds and will wait for 2 minutes before starting again

nair.arun
June 19th, 2008, 03:17 PM
As a temporary fix, what I did whenever I came across this problem was to edit gdm.conf in the terminal:

sudo pico /etc/gdm/gdm.conf

Edit the line:

Greeter=/usr/lib/gdm/gdmgreeter
to say:

Greeter=/usr/lib/gdm/gdmlogin

It should let you use your computer, but you'll have an ugly login screen.

Tried it but doesn't works I edited it from the live cd and then rebooted to get back in but got the same message

nair.arun
June 20th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Tried it but doesn't works I edited it from the live cd and then rebooted to get back in but got the same message

Any help with this it would be greatly appreciated I'm nearing my project deadline

decoherence
June 20th, 2008, 01:24 PM
The /tmp directory should be world writable and sticky.

chmod 1777 /tmp