PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] css issues with <div>

moore.bryan
June 19th, 2008, 01:09 PM
okay, the "interweb" has been completely unhelpful on this, so i thought i'd pose my questios/issue to the only place i ever seem to get useful feedback! ;-)

if my css is as follows

#left{float:left;margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;width:50%;}
#right{float:right;margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;width:50%;border-left:2px solid black;}

shouldn't i have two-columned text with a divider line between the two? alas, it's nothing like that.

_DD_
June 19th, 2008, 01:24 PM
You don't need to set the margins and also (depending on the browser) the border might push the float over; if both are set to 50% width then they fill up 100% of the container they are in - floated divs start to stack in columns when there isn't enough width, so in some box models where the border adds size to the div rather than taking up space within the div, there won't be enough room.

Try simply...

#left{float:left;width:50%;}
#right{float:right;width:50%;border-left:2px solid black;}

If that doesn't work then try...

#left{float:left;width:49%;}
#right{float:left;width:49%;border-left:2px solid black;}

Part of the idea of floating is that you can float things in the same direction and then they stack against each other and once they've filled up the width, begin going into columns. You don't always have to float things left *and* right.

SupaSonic
June 19th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Aaaa, design with divs. What a PITA.

moore.bryan
June 19th, 2008, 01:35 PM
@ _DD_:
the first suggestion was actually all i had on my page, with no luck. your second suggestion worked magnificently; such an easy solution, i'm banging my head against the wall. one issue still remains, though... a strange line has appeared in the remaining space on the page (i've attached a snap).

you hit the nail right on the head SupaSonic.

_DD_
June 19th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Erm, sorry, I don't really know what it could be. Is it a horizontal rule (<hr />) which has slipped itself in somewhere? Could I see the rest of the HTML/CSS?

I wouldn't say so. Much better than those horrible table things people used in the 90s :D.

Paqman
June 19th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I wouldn't say so. Much better than those horrible table things people used in the 90s :D.

^^This.

It's much more elegant to position things on the screen relative to each other, instead of some arbitrary framework.

moore.bryan
June 19th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Erm, sorry, I don't really know what it could be. Is it a horizontal rule (<hr />) which has slipped itself in somewhere?
genius! i completely forgot i even had an hr on the page... success!!! once again, ubuntuforums and its wonderful users save the day...

Could I see the rest of the HTML/CSS?
attached.

oh, but all the wonderful control!!!
:shrug:

SupaSonic
June 19th, 2008, 02:09 PM

But tables have a crucial advantage: I know how they work )

_DD_
June 19th, 2008, 02:54 PM
attached.

No need now if its sorted :)

As well as being generally a much better and flexible way of doing designs, CSS also has the advantage that it keeps the design and the content separate.

It would take aaaages to type out all the advantages this has, but I'm sure you can think of most of them.

moore.bryan
June 19th, 2008, 03:17 PM
i've been going back-and-forth with css vs. tables, read what feels like every single blog, post, thread, and webpage on the topic, and still don't think i have a firm stance. for some things, css hasn't yet come up-to-speed with the html code and/or the browsers are a little behind. regardless, i try to be as "standard" as possible with the output looking the way i want it to look.

thanks for all your help!

Paqman
June 19th, 2008, 07:41 PM
And speaking of web standards, you might want to try pointing your brand-new Firefox 3 at Acid 2 (http://www.webstandards.org/files/acid2/test.html) and see what happens.

So that just leaves IE dragging behind. What a surprise.

moore.bryan
June 19th, 2008, 10:06 PM
one of the first i hit... now only if acid3 tests go well!