PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Recommend a good Flat-bed scanner?

Richard George
June 19th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Hello

I want to get a flat-bed scanner that's compatible with Ubuntu 7.10, to scan documents and pages out of books. I've got USB ports spare.

Does anyone know a good manufacturer to go with, or does Ubuntu work with more or less anything nowadays? I'm able to use the command line and follow config. instructions but I don't want to buy some hardware that is totally incompatible.

could people with Ubuntu post which scanners they're using / point me at a linux-focused buyers guide for scanners? bit of a novice in that respect. thanks

tubbygweilo
June 19th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Richard,
SANE (http://www.sane-project.org/) is a place many people look when considering scanners for use with Linux so it might be good place for you to browse for a few moments. I am sure other forum members will post with specific of equipment that works with Ubuntu.

wa3fkg
June 11th, 2009, 11:31 PM
I am considering an HP model Scanjet G3110 for my Dell laptop running 9.04 with a USB interface. Has anyone tried this model? Have any recommendations other than this model that you know works with Ubuntu? I bought a generic no name unit based on price from New Egg and of course it works with my wife's Windows machine by just plugging it in. None of my Ubuntu systems will see it though. I still don't want to spend several hundred dollars on a scanner but I do need one for use here at home. Thanks for any incites that you can offer.