PDA

View Full Version : Girlfriend is in the States....want her to buy me a Laptop.

Mattaus
June 19th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Right. Myself and my Girlfreind both live in Australia.

Currently she is on a 3month long camp in Conneticuit (or however its spelt) and after that will be cruising around the US for a month.

Upon investigation I have discovered that hardware is oh so much cheaper over there ($2000 for a Mac Book Pro as opposed to $2700 here) and would like her to buy me a Lenovo X61 laptop ($1100 over there, $1700 here). I have considered warranty issues but unless someone here can point a real big problem then im going to try and go ahead with it anyway. (I'll let customs believe that she took the laptop over there with her so they dont try and charge me import tax)

My question is thus 2 fold - is this a really bad idea (lol) and 2, where can you buy Lenovo laptops retail in the states!? I had a look before and struggled to find them and the ones I did either didnt stock the X61 or had them at a stupidly inflated price.

The reason I need retail is because she wont be staying put long enough to have anything mailed to her.

Anyway, any advice, suggestions or ridecule would be great appreciated/accepted.

Cheers.

NovaAesa
June 19th, 2008, 07:05 AM
The only problem that I can see is a moral one - dodging the import tax.

bobpaul
June 19th, 2008, 07:10 AM
The only problem that I can see is a moral one - dodging the import tax.

Nah, she'll have to claim it when she hits customs and pay it as part of the end of the year taxes. Unless things are different in Australia than here.

Of course, if you have her ditch the box, I suppose she could stuff it in her suitcase. Then it'll just look like a laptop on the X-Ray. Sealed box is pretty obvious, though.

NovaAesa
June 19th, 2008, 07:18 AM
I have no idea how it works over here. Never been over seas.

p_quarles
June 19th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I have no idea how it works over here. Never been over seas.
Well, it's like this: tax evasion is a crime here. (I'm guessing that's true of other countries as well).

@OP: This is, I suppose, between you and your conscience, but this forum does not condone unlawful activities.