PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] [SOLVED] need help setting up dsl w/ login

64dragon
June 19th, 2008, 06:55 AM
i'm pretty new to linux and not sure how to set up my dsl that requires a login of username and password to get online. in windows i have a broadband pppoe icon in the network connections that resembles kppp in kubuntu and when i open the pppoe in XP i just need to have the username and password of the account, no phone # to dial. my computer is not directly connected to the modem, i'm connected to a router then the modem. i found the kppp program thats buried in kubuntu hardy and when i create a modem it is asking for a location, i dont know what to select from the drop down. and if i dont create a modem then i cant put in my username and password

SpaceTeddy
June 19th, 2008, 11:45 AM
out of curiosity... why do you dial in with your computer when you have a router in between you and your modem ? shouldn't the router do the dialing and serve the internet connection to you via the normal network ?

besides that, try running

sudo pppoeconf
in a console and follow the instructions. That usually works for me (as i don't use graphical tools if i can help it)

hope it helps :)

64dragon
June 19th, 2008, 03:15 PM
i have no idea why i have to "dial in" for a while i didnt but now its the only way i can get on.

64dragon
June 19th, 2008, 03:29 PM
the sudo pppoeconf worked, thanks