PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu future

alonips
June 18th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I have been working with ubuntu for about 2 months, i love it it's awesome 5 stars visualizations, but the problem starts with programs i know that there is wine playonlinux cedega. And actualy i don like windows but if we would be able te have a program like wine but with a more easy way to install games and software made for windows i think 80% of windows users would change to linux.I like to play , but i also work with maya motionbuilder zbrush and other renders like renderman and i know there are ways to install this softwares but they are not straight forward.So i am only post this has a relief and to see if there are more people thinking like me and to know if someone knows a better way to have windows programs to run well integrated in linux for example daemontools.Virtual machines are not very good because we need to give ram to be used and graphic memorie to the programs if they use the hardware like they were a normal program runing would be wonderfoul otherwise i don see great future.
Regards:guitar:

LaRoza
June 18th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Windows programs run best in Windows. For intense programs (or important ones) it is best to use Windows to run them.

Running Windows software in Linux is just a bonus :-)

acelin
June 18th, 2008, 11:43 PM
wat - this is an English forum.

SunnyRabbiera
June 18th, 2008, 11:46 PM
well wine shows signs that its on par with at least windows 98 in compatibility, and the developers do a great job on it.

|{urse
June 18th, 2008, 11:50 PM
i just got all the HL2/Orange Box games and Call Of Duty 4 installed. I don't see what the big deal is. There are linux/wine/cedega how-to's for almost every windows game i've come across. Except crysis lol.

67GTA
June 18th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Try playonlinux. It is a little more visual than just wine by itself.
http://www.playonlinux.com/en/download.html (http://www.playonlinux.com/en/presentation.html)

|{urse
June 19th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I have been working with ubuntu for about 2 months, i love it it's awesome 5 stars visualizations, but the problem starts with programs i know that there is wine playonlinux cedega.

Said he tried it already. Whenever you want to install a windoes based game just google "gamename ubuntu" and look for a wiki or a howto they may tell you to use wine, they may say cedega or playonlinux. I never rely on a single program to accomplish what a few can totally do.

67GTA
June 19th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I was just scanning the paragraph. Missed that. Just ignore me.

saulgoode
June 19th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Maya and Renderman are both offered in Linux versions. You should let Autodesk know that you'd like to see a Linux version for MotionBuilder; and whatever company makes Zbrush likewise.