PDA

View Full Version : Im taking my toys home...phooey on you.

KingBahamut
October 28th, 2005, 06:28 PM
South Korea's Fair Trade Commission (FTC) has been investigating Microsoft since 2001 for violations of South Korea's antitrust rules. According to a Reuters article, part of a recent Microsoft regulatory filing states 'it might be necessary to withdraw Windows from the Korean market or delay offering new versions in Korea.' Basically, Microsoft is threatening to take their marbles and go home if they don't get the ruling they want.

External Link
http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsArticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyID=2005-10-28T085106Z_01_MOR831841_RTRUKOC_0_US-MICROSOFT-KOREA.xml

You know, it has to be just like MS to say something like this. Rather than trying to appease to its userbase, its releasing what it as a company feels is the ideal product. While I decry any attempt for a governing body to say "Make it the way we want it, or leave." , I do also decry a company that doesnt listen to what its users want. Microsoft as a company to me has done this for years, releasing what it believed to be what the user wanted rather than basing its development on user opinion.

matthew
October 28th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Going with your analogy, when I was a kid and a neighbor pulled this sort of manipulative trip on me I would generally shrug my shoulders and say, "That's too bad, but if you feel you need to leave you can. Maybe I'll see you later."

I hope South Korea calls the bluff.

Stormy Eyes
October 28th, 2005, 06:35 PM
You know, it has to be just like MS to say something like this. Rather than trying to appease to its userbase, its releasing what it as a company feels is the ideal product.

When did South Korea's FTC become Microsoft's userbase? They're just bureaucrats trying to bully a successful business, and Microsoft has every right to make like Atlas and shrug.

Brunellus
October 28th, 2005, 07:13 PM
1) Some Korean chaebol (conglomerates) will have a few things to answer for.

2) If Microsoft leaves Korea, I can look forward to a more of excellent Linux-compatible devices from their rapidly-improving consumer electronics industries.

Good news all around!

WildTangent
October 28th, 2005, 08:47 PM
I see this as good news for linux evolution. The consumer electronics business is huge in Korea, what with all the MP3 players, and smart phones manufactured by companies there. I think this would ultimately further linux compatibility with these devices.

-Wild

Brunellus
October 28th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Going with your analogy, when I was a kid and a neighbor pulled this sort of manipulative trip on me I would generally shrug my shoulders and say, "That's too bad, but if you feel you need to leave you can. Maybe I'll see you later."

I hope South Korea calls the bluff.
when I was a kid and something like this went on....we'd have a fight.

KiwiNZ
October 28th, 2005, 09:15 PM
I hope the South Korean Fair Trade Commission holds its ground. It will be interesting to see if MS severs its nose to spite it's face.
Its good to see the Commission representing its customers like this.

Malphas
October 28th, 2005, 09:53 PM
http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/tech/200509/kt2005091220393512350.htm

Qrk
October 28th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Great news!

If only they could do that in every market.

Adrenal
October 28th, 2005, 11:34 PM
If I recall, they tried it in Europe, then, upon realising no one cared, changed their stance to the even more childish 'Yeh, well we don't want to go'

Dr. Nick
October 29th, 2005, 12:10 AM
One of the articles I read basically said they wanted media player and messenger service removed.

While they could do that, most people would just end up reinstalling it anyway, it would just be a bigger hassle for consumers.

While I dont like alot of the practices of Microsoft I hope incidents like these will affect webmasters and have them create a more open system of media distribution. For example the websites that require Windows, Windows Media Player and IE6 to access their video, The biggest one Ive seen is msn video itself. I think if WiMP didnt come bundled then other programs may have a chance to compete and when their is competetion everyone benefits

TimelessRogue
October 29th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Cudos to Korea! More should stand up for what they actually want and expect in products offered to them. Why should the consumer (who is paying for a service or product) not have what they want and what suits their needs. There's no need to settle for less if what you want is more ... especially when "more" is available. Sure sounds like an open door for open source ...

Stormy Eyes
October 29th, 2005, 02:21 AM
If I recall, they tried it in Europe, then, upon realising no one cared, changed their stance to the even more childish 'Yeh, well we don't want to go'

That's because Bill Gates is a spineless little creep. If he had had any backbone, he would immediately have shut down Microsoft as soon as Sun and Netscape when crying to the the DOJ.