PDA

View Full Version : Do you type file extentions yourself?e.g ".png",".py"

days_of_ruin
June 18th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Like when your saving a file.
I always do!

aysiu
June 18th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Always. Most programs include extensions for you, but some don't. Also, some programs (or maybe I'm just scarred from using Windows) save to all caps for the extension. I want everything lowercase, so I type it myself.

cookieofdoom
June 18th, 2008, 11:05 PM
My files rarely have to interact with Windows, so I don't bother naming them. GIMP, OpenOffice, and other programs like to put them in for me. If it's not previewable (not an image/video -- .blend files come to mind) I'll put the extension on since I won't be able to know what it is just by looking at it (no thumbnail).

Seriously, though, what is with all the shouting?

LaRoza
June 18th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Always. Most programs include extensions for you, but some don't. Also, some programs (or maybe I'm just scarred from using Windows) save to all caps for the extension. I want everything lowercase, so I type it myself.

I don't do it when I use programs like GIMP and OpenOffice and Abiword, but I do type them for almost every other reason if I want an extension. Most of the time I don't use extensions, except for programs.

arist0tle
June 18th, 2008, 11:20 PM
If it's a format a regularly need to manipulate ( say I want to grab all jpg's out of a directory in script ) then i do. not very often though

samjh
June 18th, 2008, 11:45 PM
If the application doesn't append the extension automatically, then yes.

spupy
June 19th, 2008, 12:12 AM
In GIMP i use the drop down box to select them.
But all my text files don't have any extensions. Rox filer categorizes a file depending on its content, not on its filename extension. I also don't name my bash scripts.