PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Possible Mem Leak In Desktop Environment

Carlbc18
June 18th, 2008, 09:35 PM
About once a day i'll be working along in my ubuntu environment and suddenly all new windows i open, popup, but turn grey and become "unresponsive". I can issue kill -9 against those PIDS, but that doesn't resolve the problem. The only cure i've been able to find is a "reboot". It seems like a memory leak, but i'm not sure. Anyone run into a similar situation or have suggestions?

Oxnyx
June 19th, 2008, 02:18 AM
I have had a somewhat similar experience 3X's now. In my case, any open, or newly opened windows become "static", meaning they are unmovable by means of using the mouse to drag the active window anywhere other than its current location. Additionally the "minimize, "maximize" and "close" icons that are usually located in the upper right hand area of any window are not present in the window. I have been able to use my mouse to select File-->Quit in most instances, and then re-booting seems to resolve the problem.

I'm using a Nvidia 8600GT card with restricted drivers enabled and "Extra" visual effects along with the "Avant Window Navigator", all of which seem to be functioning without any problems. I don't have the expertise to even determine if these are correlated or simply a coincidence.

On a side note; I would like to install and use the "Compiz Fusion" application. Can anyone direct me to specific installation instructions (or the appropriate discussion group)? I'm an MS Windows transplant and I am still trying to educate myself as much as possible.

Thanks All.

janberk
August 12th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I'm not sure, but I guess Firefox and/or Epiphany browser uses too much memory after a point. For example, you've opened 20 tabs and memory usage increased accordingly. When you start closing those tabs, the memory usage doesn't decrease, but stays the same. Restarting the browser is a solution of course, or cleaning the cache helps sometimes.