PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Shortcuts!

xtreme-
June 18th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Hi all!
I just discovered that GNOME includes a lot of useful shortcuts, and I though maybe some of you didn't think about this (like me).

By googling a bit, I found some useful ones on http://vntutor.blogspot.com/2007/10/10-essential-gnome-shortcuts.html and http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tip/2289.html

Especially Ctrl-Alt-L to lock screen is nice, and Crtl-Left/Right to switch desktop. Also, I discovered that holding down Shift while pressing enter to open a directory in Nautilus opens it in a new window.

Do any of you have any favourites to share?:razz:

robert.cooper
June 18th, 2008, 08:36 PM
alt g = gpodder
alt p = pidgin
alt i = idle
alt f5 = unmaximize
alt v = vert max
alt h = horiz max
alt scroll = window transparency
ctrl alt d = DESKTOP
[top left : ]
globe = webbrowser FF
letter = mail client TB
P = mediaplayer QL
[]
ctrl alt n = gksu /
alt n = /XFS/RobertStuff
ctrl alt s = gksu /usr/bin/synaptic
alt w = env WINEPREFIX="/home/r/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\WordWeb\wweb32.exe"
alt s = gnome-system-monitor
alt r = gksudo -S wifi-radar
alt z = rm -rf ~/.local/shares/Trash Empties
ctrl alt h = home folder

i like shortcuts to open most common apps.. hate using mouse.
make your own keybindings to do a cmd:

gconf-editor
expand apps>metacity>
select global_keybindings, double click on the run_command number starting at 1 and working your way up. the value should be the keys you want to press to launch the custom command (which we'll enter in keybinding_commands). for control+alt+s (for my synaptic keybinding) i put in
<control><alt>s
the actual custom command goes in a window below global_keybindings:
expand apps>metacity
select keybinding_command, and double click on the command_<#> to correspond with the values in global_keybindings.
changes take effect immediately, no need to restart gdm or anything like that. try a simple cmd first to make sure your keybind entry is valid, or that's what i do first when debugging.

when i was ripping a ton of cds very often, i found it helpful, if not a little ironic, to make my "windows" key eject.. this was most humorous because i had just switched from vista and was thrilled-with-ubuntu/rueful-at-Micro<hardtolike>soft