PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help Me Please?!

justjohn924
June 18th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Ok so i'm attempting to download and use a theme from gnome-look.org
when i read the instructions they say to................
1. Open a terminal

2. cd to the directory the script is in.

3. type "chmod +x INSTALL" without quotes

4. type "sh INSTALL" without quotes

5. Follow instructions once it is finished.

but i don't know how to "cd to the directory the script is in"

Someone PLEASE help me!

JWL610
June 18th, 2008, 05:14 PM
What is the name on folder ?

if you unpack it to
/home/you name/gnoom-lock"if this is name on the folder"
than you use chmod and than sh install.

understand ?

justjohn924
June 18th, 2008, 06:50 PM
it's a vista theme.
here's the link
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Complete+Vista+Aero+theme+(automated)?content=7231 8

not sure what to do with it never had a .sh file before

Victormd
June 18th, 2008, 06:53 PM
cd is change directory so if your folder is on your desktop, from the terminal window type:

cd ~/Desktop/FOLDERNAME

You can use the TAB key to autocomplete the folder name. Also, it is case sensitive so desktop is different from Desktop.
The ~/ indicates that it is located in you home folder (similar to going to places>home folder)

justjohn924
June 18th, 2008, 07:16 PM
this errore

justjohn924
June 18th, 2008, 07:19 PM
sorry i mean this one

tannerandjohn@tannerandjohn-desktop:~/Desktop/vista-aero-theme-automated.v2.2$ chmod +x INSTALL
tannerandjohn@tannerandjohn-desktop:~/Desktop/vista-aero-theme-automated.v2.2$ sh INSTALL
: not found

Make sure this script is being run by root or sudo

: not found: ot or sudo? [y/n] --->
y
: bad variable name
: not found:
INSTALL: 156: Syntax error: end of file unexpected (expecting "fi")
tannerandjohn@tannerandjohn-desktop:~/Desktop/vista-aero-theme-automated.v2.2$

Victormd
June 18th, 2008, 07:38 PM
well, you'll have to

cd ~/Desktop/vista-aero-theme-automated.v2.2
then

sudo chmod +x INSTALL
here it will ask for a password. as you type, nothing will show on the screen, but it's working... hehe
then

sudo sh install
Note: anytime you need root privilege, use the sudo command.

justjohn924
June 18th, 2008, 07:52 PM
did that stupid thing keeps giving me the same error

whatevs guess it's just not meant to be

Victormd
June 18th, 2008, 07:53 PM
after you go to the directory where you downloaded the theme, if you type

ls
do you see the file "install"?
again, keep in mind that everything in linux is case sensitive so INSTALL is different from install.

justjohn924
June 18th, 2008, 07:55 PM
yes i see the file

Victormd
June 18th, 2008, 07:58 PM
is it all CAPS?

justjohn924
June 18th, 2008, 08:01 PM
and it's "INSTALL" btw

Victormd
June 18th, 2008, 08:04 PM
If you can wait until later tonight, I can check it for you. Right now I'm at my office but when I get home I can try to install and let you know. Based on what you told me, there's no reason why it shouldn't be installing.

Victormd
June 18th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I was just looking at the error message again and it looks like there might be something wrong with the script. it asks you a y/n question and when you answer yit returned a bad variable name... that looks like a script error but I would have to look at the script to be sure.

: not found: ot or sudo? [y/n] --->
y
: bad variable name
: not found:
INSTALL: 156: Syntax error: end of file unexpected (expecting "fi")

justjohn924
June 18th, 2008, 08:15 PM
i'm pretty sure it is script error but i'm not sure how to fix that

Victormd
June 18th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Ok, so I've modified the script a little bit but will have to leave now. To run it, you'll need to use:

chmod +x INSTALL

gksu sh INSTALL
Simply replace the original with this one and give it a go. Here it worked up to the last step but I don't have time to fix it right now, but you should get the basic vista look.

It will give you some errors towards the end. If you'd like, you can open the INSTALL file and look at the script, I think it's only 1 or 2 steps that are messed up, but you can follow the terminal output and the script to manually finish the install, or wait a bit more so that I can have a closer look at it... :)

Victormd
June 19th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Assuming you have emerald, go to SYSTEM>PREFERENCES>EMERALD THEME MANAGER and click on the IMPORT icon, browse to the folder you extracted the theme and go to vista>emerald-theme. There you'll see 2 files:
1. aero_blue.emerald
2. subvista.emerald
Select one, repeat the import process and select the other. Now you'll have to window decorations to choose from.

For the remainder of the theme, better e-mail the author of the script. I don't want to get in trouble by messing with his script. Plus, the author asks to be notified if the script doesn't work... and it doesn't... :)

Edit: I removed the attached script from the previous post, sorry.

Nero147
June 20th, 2008, 04:01 AM
have you try going into the directory and then put in.
sudo ./INSTALL or
sudo .\INSTALL

Felix-the-Cat
April 20th, 2010, 01:27 AM
I would suggest that you take another look at this automated script that you are having trouble with. There were some major changes made this year that make installing much much easier and there were a lot of bugs fixed. You can still get to it from gnome-look but it is not being hosted on Google code here http://code.google.com/p/gnome-vista-aero-theme-automated/

roynoblin
April 20th, 2010, 02:02 AM
right click the install file and check properties. this is a way to verify the path and how it is named