PDA

View Full Version : [xfce] can't log into xfce but can to gnome

fishwebby
June 18th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Hello,

I'm having a problem with the Xubuntu desktop - I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 using Gnome, and all is working nicely. I thought I'd try out Xubuntu, so I did this:

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

rebooted, selected xfce as my session and all nice. I think I prefer xfce as it seems cleaner. However, the problem started when I got curious about compiz. I installed it and all my window borders disappeared. I've since uninstalled it and I've got my window borders back, and I can still go into Gnome ok, but if I try and select xfce as the session it just goes to a blue screen after the login page and doesn't do anything.

So I think that compiz has left some configuration that doesn't work somewhere, so what I want to do is completely remove compiz/xfce/xubuntu including all configuration (whilst keeping gnome) then reinstall it all as I know it works. How can I do that?

Thanks
Dave

P.S. Much as I'd like to see what compiz looks like, I'm happy to do without it if it kills my setup like that!

mali2297
June 18th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Delete the directories ~/.config/xfce4, ~/.config/xfce4-session and ~/.cache. It should clear most of your xfce settings.

fishwebby
June 19th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Hello

That seems to have sorted it - I reinstalled xubuntu-desktop and now I can log in using xfce - thank you very much! :-)

Alas now I seem to be experiencing this bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/221657), but as it's confirmed as a bug I guess I'll just have to wait until it gets fixed...

Cheers
Dave