PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation issue

spc13b
June 18th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I have a problem installing. Everything is fine up to the point where it is getting the time from the time server and then it freezes up and won't do anything. That is on the Ubuntu desktop installation. I tried the server installation and everything was fine up to 83% of the installation where it was configuring the server. I left it there overnight and this morning it was still froze there. Would you consider this a hardware issue?

Pumalite
June 18th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Post your specs and what iso are you using to install?

spc13b
June 18th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I am brand new to Linux. If you are talking specs as in hardware I have a intel 1.76Ghz Processor, 20GB HDD and 256 MB RDRAM 800. The image I downloaded was Ubuntu 8.04 desktop and server.

avtolle
June 18th, 2008, 04:19 PM
At 256 mb Ram, you really should try the "alternate install" iso. According to the official documentation, to use the Desktop CD you need to have 384 mb Ram to handle the graphical installer. Note: according to the same official documentation, Ubuntu with the Gnome DE will run on 256 mb Ram, and this has been confusing to many. To get the "alternate install" cd (text based, but after installation you will have the same packages as to the DE and other apps as on the Live CD), go to the d/l page, scroll down, and check the "alternate install" box. Good luck.

spc13b
June 18th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Thanks. I will give that a shot.