View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sudden heavy disk usage (Hardy)

June 18th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Suddenly the time it takes from login to usability has slowed down, then at weird times (for no apparent reason) disk activity jumps (I can see the led for the hard drive flashing). I'll be on firefox and everything slows down because of heavy disk activity. This has JUST started today. The only major thing I've done recently is followed a guide for pulse audio, after which I reverted all changes and uninstalled all packages (as I did not see it doing anything useful). http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=776739

June 18th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Why don't you post a screenshot of everything you've got running about? Just run the following command in a fullscreen terminal:

and post a screenshot.

June 18th, 2008, 01:47 PM
This might seem like a stupid question but, any unusual activity when you run 'top' in your terminal?

I'm just thinking that maybe some kind of daemon is running that you don't know about in the background that is spiking your disk usage or whatnot.

That's always the first place I check when I feel like my hardware showing some hostility.

June 18th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Output of pstree:

abhiroop@vanimo:~$ pstree
│ ├─ruby
│ └─6*[{amarokapp}]
│ └─x-session-manag─┬─gnome-do───3*[{gnome-do}]
│ ├─gnome-panel───{gnome-panel}
│ ├─gnome-settings-───{gnome-settings-}
│ ├─metacity
│ ├─nautilus───{nautilus}
│ ├─nm-applet
│ ├─seahorse-agent
│ ├─tomboy───2*[{tomboy}]
│ ├─update-notifier
│ └─{x-session-manag}
│ ├─gnome-pty-helpe
│ └─{gnome-terminal}
│ ├─hald-addon-cpuf
│ ├─hald-addon-inpu
│ └─hald-addon-stor
│ └─klauncher
│ └─mysqld───9*[{mysqld}]

I can check top, I usually use gnome system monitor. The thing is I always have this stuff running. I mean FX, Amarok, etc...

June 18th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Your circumstances appear different, but Firefox 3 can cause a lot of hard drive activity when fetching updates to the site-forgery and malware lists contained in the file, urlclassifier3.sqlite. To see if this is the case, you can temporarily disable this feature by unchecking the following Firefox security preferences:

* Tell me if the site I'm visiting is a suspected attack site

* Tell me if the site I'm visiting is a suspected forgery

June 18th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Ok thanks and any ideas why the login has become so slow?

June 18th, 2008, 03:08 PM
My PC has the same problem from today.

% df -H
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use%
/dev/sda6 5.2G 5.0G 64M 99% /
varrun 996M 107k 996M 1% /var/run
varlock 996M 0 996M 0% /var/lock
udev 996M 70k 996M 1% /dev
devshm 996M 46k 996M 1% /dev/shm
lrm 996M 40M 957M 4% /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/volatile
overflow 1.1M 37k 1.1M 4% /tmp
gvfs-fuse-daemon 5.2G 5.0G 64M 99% /home/yuu/.gvfs

What is "gvfs-fuse-daemon"?

June 18th, 2008, 03:22 PM
there were a LOT of updates for ubuntu yesterday, could it be one of those? I'm not sure what gvfs is but I think its a file system of some sort, wouldn't really worry about it though.