PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Raid + Crypto + LVM Install Howto ?

gopher2x
June 18th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I have 2 SATA 300 gb HD's and want to install Ubuntu.
I was thinking 2 raid devices.
1 for /boot as raid 1 format ext3
1 for the rest of / as RAID 0 as cryto space formatted for LVM space...
Will this be possible?
What partation do i mark as bootable?
can the system handle all this crap at boot?
Is there a HOW TO somewhere? I could not find one....
Thanks...

Rocket2DMn
June 18th, 2008, 08:58 AM
You mean like https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EncryptedFilesystemLVMHowto
It says using the alternate install cd generally can give you what you need, but there is information there for your reference, too.
help.ubuntu.com has a lot of useful pages, I suggest using google for narrowing your search: "site:help.ubuntu.com <query>"
If you make your query something like "lvm" or "encrypted" or "RAID"

gopher2x
June 18th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Thats a nice howto but no RAID...
Will keep searching though... thanks..

Rocket2DMn
June 18th, 2008, 09:14 AM
There is also https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FakeRaidHowto (among other pages)
The alternate CD which you will need for the other stuff is also used for RAID installations.
I think if you get the RAID/LVM part setup first, doing the Encrypted part will be much easier rather than trying to do it all at once.
Good luck.

gopher2x
June 18th, 2008, 09:24 AM
If i do the encryption first I would only have to type in the passphrase 1 time. If i encrypt each mounted filesytem wouldent i have to enter a passphrase for each?

Alternate CD downloaded and burning now...

Rocket2DMn
June 18th, 2008, 09:35 AM
If you are using RAID0, then it acts as one file system. You have an unencrypted /boot partition which should recognize the RAID (since it has to mount the filesystem), and you said everything else would be encrypted under / - that is only one encrypted partition of ~600GB.
I've never done this myself, so I can't say for sure.
Basically what should happen is you can setup the partitions BEFORE you actually start the install process. Once you have the RAID0 setup, you can do your install and have the file system encrypted. The fact that it is RAID should not be important for this.

I'll check up on you in the morning, I'm going to bed right now, so good luck!

gopher2x
June 18th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I think i want to use /boot as raid1 and the rest as raid0...
Thanks for the support... Its done burning so im gonna pop it in now and post the results... thanks...