PDA

View Full Version : Need Help on to set up a Prue CLI system

Ioky
June 18th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I get a pretty old laptop, The Toshiba Portege M100. It is my first and only laptop. I bought the laptop as Used a while ago. But it is amazingly sweet. It is a 12 inch screen laptop with 1.2GHz P M CPU, 1GB ram, 80GB HDD, with a battery that can goes up to 5-6 hours. It is very light, only 3lb. It is fairly cheap too, I get it under $300

As it is, instead instill a lightweight distro with GUI, I am thinking to make it a computer that purely using CLI software. For the following reason: I personally don't really need a GUI if CLI software can do everything I normally do. (which they can.), Learn more about using Linux/UNIX system (without GUI), and simply the system is old, I don't want to put something heavy into it.

After hours of reading, I pretty much found all the software except for a few: Software that allow me to do some Latex, a good CLI calculator, and FTP software. Of course, if you have some that you think there is something cool that I should include, Please let me know. And by the way, What distro would you recommend for this project? and why. It will be cool if there is a list that list out all the CLI software available and what they do.

I will post my experience when I can done. Thanks.

K.Mandla
June 18th, 2008, 07:51 AM
I get a pretty old laptop, The Toshiba Portege M100. It is my first and only laptop. I bought the laptop as Used a while ago. But it is amazingly sweet. It is a 12 inch screen laptop with 1.2GHz P M CPU, 1GB ram, 80GB HDD, with a battery that can goes up to 5-6 hours. It is very light, only 3lb. It is fairly cheap too, I get it under $300
That's not old. You can do a lot more with that than you give it credit for.

All the same, you might want to look at LaRoza's blog. Last time I checked, he was running a MacBook GUI-less, but that might have changed.

http://laroza77.blogspot.com/

There are quite a few people who prefer life without the visual frippery.

NikoC
June 18th, 2008, 07:57 AM
+1 K.Mandla

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 on a 3 y old Sony Vaio (1 Gb Ram, 60 Gb HD, Pentium-M, nvidia go 6 series) with full desktop effects! You might be amazed what these 'old' lappies can do! :guitar:

mini_g
June 18th, 2008, 09:18 AM
+1 K.Mandla

I recently got a 1.8Ghz Sempron M (ATi XPress 1100, 1.5GB RAM) that I'm gaming on & running a fairly decent BIONC score too. Am also running Blackbox on an maxed out Thinkpad X20 (Lack of RAM is only stopping me from using a "better" DE).

Good luck.

shadylookin
June 18th, 2008, 10:01 AM

As it is, instead instill a lightweight distro with GUI, I am thinking to make it a computer that purely using CLI software. For the following reason: I personally don't really need a GUI if CLI software can do everything I normally do. (which they can.), Learn more about using Linux/UNIX system (without GUI), and simply the system is old, I don't want to put something heavy into it.

After hours of reading, I pretty much found all the software except for a few: Software that allow me to do some Latex, a good CLI calculator, and FTP software. Of course, if you have some that you think there is something cool that I should include, Please let me know. And by the way, What distro would you recommend for this project? and why. It will be cool if there is a list that list out all the CLI software available and what they do.

I will post my experience when I can done. Thanks.

:confused:That system can run Ubuntu just fine you could probably even use compiz. the python interpreter doubles as a calculator and to use ftp all you have to do is type in ftp at the command line

stream303
June 18th, 2008, 10:29 AM
And by the way, What distro would you recommend for this project? and why.

You might really enjoy a diy-install of ubuntu from the cli up:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LowMemorySystems

Even though the target audience is for low-memory systems, it works spectacularly with normal amounts of ram.

You can take it as far as you want to go and make all the decisions along the way.

Even though I love the command line, when building a specialized install, I afford myself the luxury of the most minimal X, and a very light-weight window manager. That way, I can still use a terminal most of the time, but do so with nice fonts etc, rather than rely on the somewhat ugly vga graphics on bare screens.

I also like to view/edit my own photos, so this way I can still stick to my cli roots by using imagemagick from the cli. Something to think about anyway - no shame running X and a handful of xterms.