PDA

View Full Version : My linux teacher said people who use it are *required* to "help" the project

Rob-e
June 18th, 2008, 03:48 AM
My linux teacher said people who use linux are *required* to "help" the project

i emailed him asking about it and he said it said that in the EULA

where could he have gotten this idea?

the distro we're using for class is fedora, and heres a eula from them
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/ppc/os/eula.txt

hrmmmm

LaRoza
June 18th, 2008, 04:04 AM
No, there are no such requirements.

Rhubarb
June 18th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Sounds to me that your teacher is confusing the GNU GPL licence with simply using GPLed software.

I can't remember exactly off hand, but it states that if you enhance / modify / change GPLed code, you must make available that code so others may take your improvements and work on it / use it / redistribute it themselves if they wish.

If you simply use Fedora / Ubuntu / any Linux Distro I can't see why you'd be "required to help the project". - For one not everyone can help, and "to help the project" is very vague.
What is classified as being help?
The GNU GPL does not state any of this (unless he means what I said about the GNU GPL above - which is quite different to a generic "help the project".

%hMa@?b<C
June 18th, 2008, 04:07 AM
sure, its _nice_ to help, but not needed as stated by the GPL

Rob-e
June 18th, 2008, 04:16 AM
thanks guys, i just wanted to confirm it to be 100%

and by help i mean program for it, or help others use it, or almost anything i guess

aysiu
June 18th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Oh, I guess I misread the thread title. I thought this was going to be about your teacher requiring you to help a Linux project in order to pass the course.

castrojo
June 18th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Oh, I guess I misread the thread title. I thought this was going to be about your teacher require you to help a Linux project in order to pass the course.

... because that would be awesome!

cardinals_fan
June 18th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Is marijuana legal in your state/country for "medical purposes"?

abuakel
June 18th, 2008, 05:45 AM
My linux teacher said people who use linux are *required* to "help" the project

i emailed him asking about it and he said it said that in the EULA

where could he have gotten this idea?

the distro we're using for class is fedora, and heres a eula from them
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/ppc/os/eula.txt

hrmmmm

Your school has Linux?!
Holy crap.. I'll do anything to get my school to switch from Windows XP to Ubuntu.... or even Fedora.. in fact, anything Linux :)
What school is it?

imronak
June 18th, 2008, 05:51 AM
my school has Redhat, my old school had Fedora.

Dont know why these institutions dont use ubuntu 8-|

Rob-e
June 18th, 2008, 05:55 AM
its ITT Tech, you probobly have one near you, and we get hard drives, which is in a sort of enclosure that slides into any computer in the labs, and we use that for linux, and some server OS's and stuff

the linux class is more server admin stuff than anything so calm down

Rob-e
June 18th, 2008, 05:57 AM
my school has Redhat, my old school had Fedora.

Dont know why these institutions dont use ubuntu 8-|

in our other class we do use ubuntu, i saw some people using it and i booted my laptop up with it (of course i made sure the volume was up so they could hear the ubuntu login jingle :D )

dasunst3r
June 18th, 2008, 05:58 AM
You're not required to help, but you certainly can help, even if it means reporting bugs or making a small monetary donation. :)

doorknob60
June 18th, 2008, 05:59 AM
My school uses OS X. Not the best choice, but certainly better than Windows :) What makes me happy is the computers have NeoOffice (Aqua OOo port), VLC, and Firefox installed, so I practically feel at home :D EDIT: And of course I can change the user password from the terminal without needing the admin password (like you normally need to change passwords)...good times :D The school I'm going to next year though...I think they have XP :'(

K.Mandla
June 18th, 2008, 07:56 AM
You're not required to help, but you certainly can help, even if it means reporting bugs or making a small monetary donation. :)
And that is the 100-percent correct answer. ;)

MickS
June 18th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Being a user is helping I'd have thought, the larger the user base the more likely it is to have drivers etc ported to Linux.

Mick