PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Partial upgrade to Hardy... HELP!

lost09
June 18th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Due to a shoddy internet connection, upgrading from Ubuntu 7.10 to 8.04 was aborted partway through. I started this process by going through Update Manager, which said that "8.04 is available" (or something along those lines). However, I suspect because of the degree to which the update was completed, Update Manager now says "your system is up to date", despite the fact that I am still stuck with 7.10 (which I checked via "cat /etc/lsb-release").

I desperately need to upgrade... soon. Any help would be infinitely appreciated.

Pumalite
June 18th, 2008, 02:48 AM
You might want to try this:
sudo sed -i 's/gutsy/hardy/' /etc/apt/sources.list

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Make sure your Gutsy is totally updated before you attempt the upgrade.

circusmonkey
June 18th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Forget it , do a clean fresh install , I have had the update fail twice and completely wreck 7.10 .Be prepared to manually connect yourself to the Internet also.

CM

Pumalite
June 18th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Clean install is always better, but upgrades work if well done.

lost09
June 18th, 2008, 03:25 PM
For a clean install of Hardy, I need the live CD, correct? Anyone know where to find one?

lost09
June 19th, 2008, 03:57 AM
Everything I've read seems to say that Gutsy must be completely up to date for the upgrade to work; though Update Manager claims that I'm up to date, I keep getting "GPG error: http://packages.medibuntu.org gutsy Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 2EBC26B60C5A2783" every time I run "sudo apt-get update". However, I've moved on to "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade", which seems to be working.

I don't know where to get a Hardy CD, so I may have to upgrade via internet if possible.

lost09
June 19th, 2008, 04:02 PM
This seems to have worked:

sudo sed -i 's/gutsy/hardy/' /etc/apt/sources.list

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Through some miracle I managed to keep a connection overnight, and am now running (I think) Hardy. Thanks!