PDA

View Full Version : [other] New Update, firefox 3 (final?), new kernel

billgoldberg
June 17th, 2008, 10:36 PM
A week are so ago we got a new kernel, generic 2.6.24-18, which caused some problems, now yet another new one.

I also noticed a new firefox 3 update, is it RC2 or the final one?

What's up with all the updates (88mb)?

ajgreeny
June 17th, 2008, 11:03 PM
There are always lots of updates for a new version of ubuntu; don't forget this one also had a beta version of firefox at the start, so was certain to get the new one as soon as it was available.

billgoldberg
June 17th, 2008, 11:06 PM
There are always lots of updates for a new version of ubuntu; don't forget this one also had a beta version of firefox at the start, so was certain to get the new one as soon as it was available.

I knew that firefox would, along with some other packages, get lots of updates.

But I'm more concerned about the kernel updates, Ubuntu is already behind the newest kernel versions anyhow. We are now getting older kernel updates that tend to break stuff.

coolbrook
June 17th, 2008, 11:27 PM
'Check for updates...' is grayed out in my Help menu

wootah
June 17th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Firefox is officially released as of today.

coolbrook
June 17th, 2008, 11:56 PM
I ran the apt-get update and the new version popped up to be downloaded and installed. Hopefully this counts toward their record seeking total. This thing is faster than the betas and RC's. I'm even more impressed.

ruffEdgz
June 18th, 2008, 12:18 AM
I just checked the repositories and found they are still housing firefox 3.0 rc1. The one that is being promoted right now is the final release, not an RC version.

The final release can be found here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/?p=downloadday

I don't know how long it will be around but that link worked just now (it's 7:00pm in Eastern Time). The download is only a .tar.gz file but the way I got it to work was:

Precondition: I deleted the Firefox that was currently installed on my ubuntu before doing this.

1. make a new directory in my /home/username called 'application'
2. untar the firefox download into that 'application' directory
3. Right click on Applications your Menu selection and click on 'Edit Menu'
4. Go to the Internet section and press the 'New Item' and create a new item touching the /home/username/application/firefox/firefox
5. Press OK and that new item will be in the Internet section

billgoldberg
June 18th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I just checked the repositories and found they are still housing firefox 3.0 rc1. The one that is being promoted right now is the final release, not an RC version.

The final release can be found here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/?p=downloadday

I don't know how long it will be around but that link worked just now (it's 7:00pm in Eastern Time). The download is only a .tar.gz file but the way I got it to work was:

Precondition: I deleted the Firefox that was currently installed on my ubuntu before doing this.

1. make a new directory in my /home/username called 'application'
2. untar the firefox download into that 'application' directory
3. Right click on Applications your Menu selection and click on 'Edit Menu'
4. Go to the Internet section and press the 'New Item' and create a new item touching the /home/username/application/firefox/firefox
5. Press OK and that new item will be in the Internet section

Firefox RC1 was offered as an update a week ago, the one offered today is either RC2 or the final one.

Should it be the final one, it won't be counted for the record attempt, seeing as it is downloaded from the ubuntu servers.

Superkoop
June 18th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Firefox RC1 was offered as an update a week ago, the one offered today is either RC2 or the final one.

Should it be the final one, it won't be counted for the record attempt, seeing as it is downloaded from the ubuntu servers.

This is the final in the update. If you want to help with the record breaking, just download it from Mozilla also.

I'm still waiting to see how other people go with the latest Kernel update, and see how it works on other's machines.

ruffEdgz
June 18th, 2008, 12:47 AM

I don't know which version of Ubuntu you have but when I upgraded to Hardy, Firefox RC1 came with it. You checked your Help >> About Firefox and it still say RC1?

Downloading the final release of firefox 3 here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/?p=downloadday

That will help you get the newest final version and you will help with the downloading record :D

billgoldberg
June 18th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I don't know which version of Ubuntu you have but when I upgraded to Hardy, Firefox RC1 came with it. You checked your Help >> About Firefox and it still say RC1?

Downloading the final release of firefox 3 here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/?p=downloadday

That will help you get the newest final version and you will help with the downloading record :D

I said RC1 came as an update a week ago, but it could be 3 weeks or so.

In either case, hardy came with firefox 3 beta 5.

I appreciate your comment but I know how to install firefox from their website.

I was more concerned about the Ubuntu dev's decision to release yet another kernel update.

kaibob
June 18th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Firefox RC1 was offered as an update a week ago, the one offered today is either RC2 or the final one....

I read that the Linux version of Firefox 3 final is the same thing as Firefox RC2. This was on a disccusion board, so it's by no means a reliable source.

I got Firefox final by way of the update manager a few hours ago, and the about screen shows:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008061015 Firefox/3.0

Joeb454
June 18th, 2008, 01:00 AM
I'm guessing it will be Firefox 3 RC2. I'd expect the final version to appear in around a week or so, though I could be totally wrong :p

Edit:

My about box says
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008061017 Firefox/3.0 Emphasis mine :)

ruffEdgz
June 18th, 2008, 01:11 AM
I said RC1 came as an update a week ago, but it could be 3 weeks or so.

In either case, hardy came with firefox 3 beta 5.

I appreciate your comment but I know how to install firefox from their website.

I was more concerned about the Ubuntu dev's decision to release yet another kernel update.

You're right, I'm sorry for that :(

After looking around a bit, I can say it isn't the final so it's most likely RC2 if you got updates a few weeks ago. The funny thing is that every time I search the repositories, I keep finding only RC1.

Sorry again...

billgoldberg
June 18th, 2008, 01:18 AM
You're right, I'm sorry for that :(

After looking around a bit, I can say it isn't the final so it's most likely RC2 if you got updates a few weeks ago. The funny thing is that every time I search the repositories, I keep finding only RC1.

Sorry again...

Don't feel sorry.

I wasn't my intention to make you feel that way.

I'm just a bit confused about the recent updates.

I'm still not 100% sure it's RC2 or the final in todays updates.

Kronie
June 18th, 2008, 01:29 AM
say wut?
http://ipicture.ru/uploads/080618/H0Vt56Sgdx.jpg

crjackson
June 18th, 2008, 01:33 AM
say wut?
http://ipicture.ru/uploads/080618/H0Vt56Sgdx.jpg

What's the deal with the 3.1 packages you have listed. I'm at work right now, so I can't check it myself.

cariboo
June 18th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Saw this on Ubuntu Planet:

http://www.asoftsite.org/s9y/archives/141-firefox-3-final-copied-to-hardy-updates.html

Jim

kansasnoob
June 18th, 2008, 01:50 AM
What version of FF3 you have depends greatly on whether you chose to receive Hardy Proposed updates or not. You can check in either Software Sources or at Synaptic.

Clear back in Gutsy (where I started) I figured out that a nOOb like me was better off with the default choice of Important Security Updates and Recommended Updates. I've had ZERO breakage since then!

I just like things to work right, and they do, so I'm happy.

I'd also add that I checked my Win XP partition twice today and the FF servers were overloaded. Yep, today was the day for Win to get their first taste of FF3.

Just be patient.