PDA

View Full Version : Why don't you put your pic as your avatar?

geo909
June 17th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Ok, internet and forums sometime seem to be to impersonal for me.
Anyway I think that it's nice to know the other guy's face when you have a communication even if it is about tech stuff. What do you think?

kk0sse54
June 17th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Sorry mate I never like posting my picture any where on the internet even if it's one of the best linux forums ;)

will1911a1
I'm a bigger fan of remaining anonymous. :)

LaRoza
Anyway I think that it's nice to know the other guy's face when you have a communication even if it is about tech stuff

Because people may make lewd comments on non-guy's face images?

That could be one reason.

Exsecrabilus
June 17th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Freedom => Open source => Linux => Ubuntu => Ubuntu Forums => Avatars

Freedom to imagine what other people look like. I like that.

KiwiNZ
June 17th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I would but mine would scare patrons away :)

Phenax
June 17th, 2008, 09:57 PM
My last camera had a battery explode in it and it has ceased to work since. I still have quite an old picture that is low quality that I'll throw up there in a few minutes, I suppose.

Murrquan
June 17th, 2008, 10:01 PM
I'm with the Arch Linux guy with the unpronounceable name. Anonymity is good. Say hi to my Final Fantasy XI character!

lisati
June 17th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Sorry mate I never like posting my picture any where on the internet even if it's one of the best linux forums ;)

I don't even like having my photo taken!

I'm a bigger fan of remaining anonymous. :)

I like the idea of anonymity too - it's less embarrassing when I make a mistake (as I have been known to do from time to time)

Because people may make lewd comments on non-guy's face images?

That could be one reason.
I think I recognize your avatar - excuse me while I ask the transporter crew to beam me up.

+1

Sunflower1970
June 17th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I prefer to remain anonymous.

Saya
June 17th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I don't fit in 90 x 90px.

kool_kat_os
June 17th, 2008, 10:08 PM
uhh...

forestpixie
June 17th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I did before this one

tinny
June 17th, 2008, 10:14 PM
What do you mean, I have...

DrMega
June 17th, 2008, 10:15 PM
You don't want to see my ugly mugshot on there:(

Besides, I reckon people would tell pork pies by using a photo of someone other than themselves. And whether or not they did that, discussions would suddenly become less objective as people would just side with people that they fancied.

FFighter
June 17th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I have no problem on showing my pic!

I don't really understand the "I prefer to remain anonymous" reason. Is FBI behind your back?

Anyway, I would understand reasons such as:
* I don't have a photo I like

LaRoza
June 17th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I don't really understand the "I prefer to remain anonymous" reason. Is FBI behind your back?

I don't understand the need to see pictures of people.

RiceMonster
June 17th, 2008, 10:22 PM
People don't need to know what I look like. Plus, I don't like showing/giving personal information on the internet.

Delever
June 17th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Anyway I think that it's nice to know the other guy's face when you have a communication even if it is about tech stuff. What do you think?

It would make me less cool.

Fedz
June 17th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I think a persons avatar says a lot about their personality, if you want a pic of yourself then all very well and good if not it makes no difference, this isn't a dating forum so I ain't too bothered ;-)

I have plenty on facebook however ;-)

lisati
June 17th, 2008, 10:33 PM
I have no problem on showing my pic!

Anyway, I would understand reasons such as:
* I don't have a photo I like
I can relate to FFighter's wish to some extent.

Yes - there is a Fabulously Beautiful Individual at my place who supports my interests but who doesn't easily relate to computer stuff; as well as this she might get the wrong idea if I advertised my ugly mug.
Anyway, the best photo I have is two years old, before I had the Ubuntu sticker for my laptop......

init1
June 17th, 2008, 10:37 PM
People don't need to know what I look like. Plus, I don't like showing/giving personal information on the internet.
Likewise.

hanzomon4
June 17th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Hey, I'm game I'll show a face pic. Lord knows I have plenty of information and pictures on facebook.

Mazza558
June 17th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I use my real picture, just because I wanted to break the mentality of most forums. People seem more friendly towards me ever since I used a real picture. They can see who I am, and for some people, that makes them more comfortable.

Chr0mis
June 17th, 2008, 10:45 PM
I like my anonymity to the extent where I don't want people to see my face online, unless I have the unstoppable urge to let personal pictures wander around. I want people to judge me for my online appearance, for my nickname, avatar, spelling, posts, insights, etc. Not my looks.

hanzomon4
June 17th, 2008, 10:50 PM
There, now you see me.... Surprised? Revolted? In Love? :lolflag:

Wobedraggled
June 17th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I did

billgoldberg
June 17th, 2008, 10:54 PM

I like remaining anonymous on the internet.

Even if I consider myself a pretty handsome fellow.

:lolflag:

red_Marvin
June 17th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Mwhat do you meeawn? This is mew. I type mwhen myy back sscratccherr is awway.

hellion0
June 17th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I'm really a road sign. Trust me on this. :P

grossaffe
June 17th, 2008, 10:58 PM
people make judgements on just about everything from your appearance to your age and may take your posts less seriously based on those judgements. I have no problem letting people know my age, but i usually hold back on a picture until i've established myself.

wootah
June 17th, 2008, 10:59 PM
There, now you see me.... Surprised? Revolted? In Love? :lolflag:
(heart) :lolflag: jk jk

kerry_s
June 17th, 2008, 11:00 PM
i'm a big fat guy with a really big head, you don't need to see that, just assume i'm a young stud with a full time super model job.

wootah
June 17th, 2008, 11:26 PM
i'm a big fat guy with a really big head, you don't need to see that, just assume i'm a young stud with a full time super model job.

Dad?

kerry_s
June 17th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Dad?

yes?

Fingel
June 17th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Because its the internet. We prefer not to associate our real lives with this place. Besides, real pics all look the same. Unique avatars are much more fun to look at.

Polygon
June 17th, 2008, 11:45 PM
i think its more interstering to see people as various things, gnomes, characters from movies and such rather then just normal faces ;)

gameryoshi600
June 17th, 2008, 11:47 PM
i Prefer To Remain Anonymous.

+1

DrOlaf
June 17th, 2008, 11:51 PM

I thought that WAS your picture.

-grubby
June 17th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Well, the most recent (bad) pic of me is from November or so last year, and I really like this beach avatar.

NovaAesa
June 18th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Anonimity is overated. Nothing wrong with showing who we really are.

gaspard.leon
June 18th, 2008, 06:15 AM
well I just did, I couldn't be bothered to edit the profile and find a pic and upload it before...

AmishFury
June 18th, 2008, 06:17 AM
my avatar is in fact me

Midwest-Linux
June 18th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Linux Mint looks so much better!

zxscooby
June 18th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Im to ugly , dont want to break the forums.

coolbrook
June 18th, 2008, 06:22 AM
I'm kinda like Vanity Smurf. Seeing my own reflection is all that matters.

zxscooby
June 18th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Im also showing pride in my profession as an anthrophomorphic robot

SomeGuyDude
June 18th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I do. So maybe I don't count on this one.

mini_g
June 18th, 2008, 06:47 AM

I think a persons avatar says a lot about their personality, if you want a pic of yourself then all very well and good if not it makes no difference, this isn't a dating forum so I ain't too bothered ;-)

Unique avatars are much more fun to look at.

+1

I've been looking into making an avatar, but the last one I made (and fancied) got corrupted before I uploaded it... ](*,)

I obviously have few qualms putting my information on the 'net, but mugshots are going too far for my personal likings.

atomkarinca
June 18th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Because I'm scary (http://asset2.sosyomat.com/uyelik/sosyo_avatar_image/6/3/54236/106678_xl.jpg).

lswest
June 18th, 2008, 06:54 AM
I use this avatar because people often mistake my name for Iswest ;) So I thought I'd clear up misunderstandings with the avatar where the name is clearly shown as "Lswest" ;) And yeah, I also prefer being anonymous on the 'net where people could easily find your picture, but I do usually use a picture of myself on my chat programs, so people, if they add me, do know what I look like. Also, I have a hard time thinking any of my pictures are good :P

pastormick
June 18th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction... ;)

easybake
June 18th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I just think its kinda weird posting a pic of yourself as your avatar. Except if you're a 3 eyed fish.

Linuxratty
June 18th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I prefer to remain anonymous.

Me too...

http://www.xenu.net/news/2008-anonymous.jpg

And avatars are much more interesting than people's faces anyway.

Linux Mint looks so much better!

Point well made.
:)

gn2
June 18th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Just changed mine. But is it me?

Second thoughts, nah don't think I'll bother.
Back to comfortable old anonymity

geo909
June 18th, 2008, 07:42 PM
When it comes to anonymity and personal info there are things more important than uploading your pic in a forum . Like google and facebook (I'm not a conspiracy freak btw); what is worst, If you have your pic by your 'Joe576' nickname or have some company keep tracking your internet activities?

I mean, isn't it a bit awkward, trying to keep our anonymity this way?

zmjjmz
June 18th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I'm a drawing on a piece of paper. Understood?

bufsabre666
June 18th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I'm a drawing on a piece of paper. Understood?

yes and im a penguin with a personal affinity for arsenal

doorman
June 18th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I don't think it matters whether you have your picture as the avatar or not, as long as you express yourself through it...

And, yeah, that is my picture :D

doorman
June 18th, 2008, 07:56 PM
what is worst, If you have your pic by your 'Joe576' nickname or have some company keep tracking your internet activities?

Good point!

Fenris_rising
June 18th, 2008, 07:58 PM
mine reflects my inner Wolf :)

lswest
June 18th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Yeah, okay, my main reason for not having my picture up isn't anonymity, it's the fact that this avatar might help prevent people mis-reading my username ;) That, and I just think it's cool :P (Made it in GIMP a while back)

geo909
June 18th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Just to say that I don't think that everyone should have their pic or something, just want to see why they don't, that's all.

Acglaphotis
June 18th, 2008, 08:20 PM
because Its The Internet. We Prefer Not To Associate Our Real Lives With This Place. Besides, Real Pics All Look The Same. Unique Avatars Are Much More Fun To Look At.

+1

gn2
June 18th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Just to say that I don't think that everyone should have their pic or something, just want to see why they don't, that's all.

That's real easy for me to explain, I just don't like seeing pictures of myself so wouldn't want to see my grinning mug on every post I write.

Would much rather look at a nice shiny Acer Aspire One. :)

cmay
June 18th, 2008, 09:44 PM
my answer to that question would be i have no pictures of anything else than my dog. and none of them are digitalized.
i dont even have a driverslicense or any thing like that whit pictures of myselve.

paul101
June 18th, 2008, 09:47 PM
both me and g/f agree that i'd scare away new ubuntu users,so its ither current avatar or pic of g/f :popcorn::lolflag:

NJC
June 18th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Because I'm scary (http://asset2.sosyomat.com/uyelik/sosyo_avatar_image/6/3/54236/106678_xl.jpg).

Bubba64
June 18th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I am a bucked toothed troglodyte, the Madagascar hissing cockroach is a much prettier picture. :-P

super breadfish
June 18th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Anonymity and self expression. The internet means what people look like no longer has to be a barrier to communication.

LaRoza
June 18th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I do.

original_jamingrit
June 18th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I do.

LaRoza
June 18th, 2008, 10:58 PM
I do.

I do.

I now pronouce you husband and wife.

arbulus
June 18th, 2008, 10:59 PM
The internet is no place to put all of your personal information, which includes pics of yourself. It's a dangerous place out there and you never know what someone else might do with it. That is why I never associate my name with this handle. I am arbulus on the web and that's it. I don't have any pics of myself on the web and I don't plan on it. it's just not safe.

Furthermore, everywhere we go these days, we are forced to identify ourselves. Our society as a whole seems to be forcing us into a lifestyle of being unable to remain anonymous. I don't like that. There is no reason for me to always identify myself. But on the web, it's just a matter of common sense and security.

But while I do hide behind my handle and avatar on the net, I (unlike a large number of people) am completely myself on the web. If you know me on the web, I'm the same person if you know me in person. I don't pretend to be anything I'm not or talk myself up. So while you may not be able to see what I look like or find out any personally identifying info about me, you can get to know who I really am.

-grubby
June 18th, 2008, 11:01 PM
I now pronouce you husband and wife.

you can't be the priest (or whatever) and both the wife (I think) can you?

LaRoza
June 18th, 2008, 11:02 PM
you can't be the priest (or whatever) and both the wife (I think) can you?

It would have been better for someone else to post that, but I couldn't go ask someone to do it.

And no, one cannot perform the ceremony on oneself, at least, not in such a wedding.

arbulus
June 18th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Anonymity and self expression. The internet means what people look like no longer has to be a barrier to communication.

This is also a great reason. The internet is the great equalizer. Race, religion, origin, etc, no longer have any meaning on the net. We're all just humans communicating.

schauerlich
June 18th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I am your overlord. So really, my avatar is quite fitting.

etnlIcarus
June 19th, 2008, 04:51 AM
I post a lot of embarrassing/personal sh*t on the net so I try to dissociate myself from both my name and my face. That's not to say no one online knows my real name or knows what I look like, I'm just careful about where I put that information so I don't end up having a family member or employer google my name and find etnlIcarus or have a picture to prove that I am etnlIcarus.

LaRoza
June 19th, 2008, 04:53 AM
I post a lot of embarrassing/personal sh*t on the net so I try to dissociate myself from both my name and my face. That's not to say no one online knows my real name or knows what I look like, I'm just careful about where I put that information so I don't end up having a family member or employer google my name and find etnlIcarus or have a picture to prove that I am etnlIcarus.

See you in work tomorrow. We have to talk.

etnlIcarus
June 19th, 2008, 04:56 AM
See you in work tomorrow. We have to talk.

For a minute there, I was worried.

Then I remembered I'm unemployed. :p

LaRoza
June 19th, 2008, 05:01 AM
For a minute there, I was worried.

Then I remembered I'm unemployed. :p

That confirms it.

Remember me? We met in the cafe down the street..next to the kangaroo.

(I imagine Australia as having kangaroos all over the place)

etnlIcarus
June 19th, 2008, 05:16 AM
OMG, that was you?!!
We hooked up. You said I was awesome in bed!

LaRoza
June 19th, 2008, 05:17 AM
OMG, that was you?!!
We hooked up. You said I was awesome in bed!

Er, it must have been the kangaroo, I had to catch the bus.

the yawner
June 19th, 2008, 07:19 AM
And back to regular programming...

I like how avatars can be interpreted in multiple ways. Like the Borg's apparent humor?

karellen
June 19th, 2008, 07:39 AM
that would be an idea, but I think my current avatar (Chap the Mad) it's much more funny :D

fatality_uk
June 19th, 2008, 09:16 AM
The problem is I am just TOO handsome. I don't want UF being clogged up by people just gawking at my av all day and saying "wow he's handsome" and then posting a link to their friends and friends of friends and so on.

*Note to self. Apply a little more sarcasm during posting.

EdThaSlayer
June 19th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I'm too cute for y'all to see. :lolflag:

etnlIcarus
June 19th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Yeah, saying, "I'm too sexy for ur Intarnets", is only going to result in more people pestering you to post a pic. I'm talking to you, Ed and fataility.

-gabe-noob-
June 19th, 2008, 11:58 AM
It would have been better for someone else to post that, but I couldn't go ask someone to do it.

And no, one cannot perform the ceremony on oneself, at least, not in such a wedding.

OMG... wait does this mean LaRoza's a girl... or did we already figure that out in that other thread

all things aside, Penguins with spears>me the supermodel dude :P

ALL PEOPLE WITH PENGUINS SHOUT OUT!

Dr Small
June 19th, 2008, 01:25 PM
But... my avatar is my picture :p

roaldz
June 19th, 2008, 02:26 PM
But... my avatar is my picture :p

Mine too:) en left of me is my girlfriend:) Yes, Nerds do have girlfriends:)

gn2
June 19th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Mine too:) en left of me is my girlfriend:) Yes, Nerds do have girlfriends:)

Play your cards right and she could be your wife.

Nerds have wives too. I have one. One's enough! #-o

etnlIcarus
June 19th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Play your card right and you won't have to marry her. Just string her along until she's too old to leave you for someone better.

rudihawk
June 19th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Avatars are just cooler than looking in the mirror!

Onyros
June 19th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I had my pic some time before, but I really like my cool mini-ninja avatar. So much that it was supposed to be there for a brief stint (the Ninja avatar week or something) and now I've grown fond of it and won't let go.

Also, my wife wouldn't appreciate my having a true pic around. She's against internet shock.

y6FgBn)~v
June 19th, 2008, 05:54 PM
The piercing stare of your mini ninja is most effective Onyros :shock:

wolfen69
June 19th, 2008, 05:57 PM

and we thank you for that. :)

Lostincyberspace
June 19th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I don't want any pictures of my ugly but running around on the internet. It would scare everyone away from linux!

BLTicklemonster
June 19th, 2008, 06:06 PM
<------ Dat's me.

altariel
June 19th, 2008, 08:42 PM
well, I -have- an older picture of myself as avatar :)

hellmet
June 19th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I've a quite recent picture of mine as my avatar !:)

Koori23
June 19th, 2008, 10:35 PM
I did.. As an afterthought though, I began to think.. "Is this good for the Internet, I mean, if I post my ugly mug, I could bring down the whole system".

The CNN story would read as follows..

Indiana Man Posts Picture of Self Online.

Servers around the World crashed today. An Indiana man posted a picture of himself on a well known Linux forum as a gesture of good faith and.. he was bored. However, once this photo was cached on machines worldwide, it triggered a domino effect of DNS and HTTP 404 errors on user's machines worldwide. Apparently, computers CAN determine attractive from unattractive and the Internet shows it's true colors by booting off any user who has this photo cached on his or her machines. The person photographed could not be reached for comment. However, LaRoza of UbuntuForums.org issued a statement claiming that "Well, we now have our answer, computers do know cute from ugly, we have officially been Ericrolled. This is a sad day for all of us".

roaldz
June 19th, 2008, 10:37 PM
<------ Dat's me.

You look upset.. What´s bothering you?:)

BLTicklemonster
June 19th, 2008, 11:20 PM
You look upset.. What´s bothering you?:)

lol I knew my picture wasn't going to be pretty?

Nah, I was at my desk. Need I say more?

Xanatos Craven
June 19th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Because I have a huge scar hanging off my face that's dripping pus. And no bottom jaw. Also, one of my eyes is bulging out too far and lazy.

BLTicklemonster
June 19th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Because I have a huge scar hanging off my face that's dripping pus. And no bottom jaw. Also, one of my eyes is bulging out too far and lazy.

Dang, who let my ex wife in here???

Scotty Bones
June 20th, 2008, 02:57 AM
I'm surrounded by illiterate windows users who ask dumb questions all day long. :)

loell
June 20th, 2008, 03:04 AM
this thread reminds of a nice thread in the past :)

heheh, just attempting to resurrect it,

Am I the only one not afraid to show my face? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=61825)

etnlIcarus
June 20th, 2008, 04:46 AM
I was at my desk. Need I say more?You could tell us whether you had just been tricked into watching 2girls1cup. Would certainly explain the facial expression.

But seriously, looking at your av, I couldn't help but think, "This summer, Bruce Willis is... an air traffic controller".

Technoviking
June 20th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Heard a famous security consultant at a conference once.

"Never post your picture on the internet unless you don't if someone blows it up life size and posts it on their wall."

BLTicklemonster
June 20th, 2008, 04:59 AM
You could tell us whether you had just been tricked into watching 2girls1cup. Would certainly explain the facial expression.

But seriously, looking at your av, I couldn't help but think, "This summer, Bruce Willis is... an air traffic controller".

lmao!!!

geo909
June 20th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Hmm..
What about a beauty contest thread for all those who have
their pic uploaded? That will be a tough one! :lolflag:

LaRoza
June 20th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Heard a famous security consultant at a conference once.

"Never post your picture on the internet unless you don't if someone blows it up life size and posts it on their wall."

Be my guest, I can't help it if I am beautiful.

Hmm..
What about a beauty contest thread for all those who have
their pic uploaded? That will be a tough one!
I'd win.

damis648
June 20th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I did put up my own picture!

Scotty Bones
June 20th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Be my guest, I can't help it if I am beautiful.

I'd win.

We have our winner
The Collective has spoken :)

Sarasvati
June 20th, 2008, 05:44 PM
What about a wet t-shirt avater contest;)

etnlIcarus
June 20th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I'd win.If you really do look like Alice Krige then yes, the MILF wins the thread.

geo909
June 20th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I'd win.
Resistance is futile.

What about a wet t-shirt avater contest;)

I think my t-shirt was wet when I took that picture, I was at the beach.
Blame the size if I don't look sexy.

ShodanjoDM
June 20th, 2008, 09:23 PM
The dragon looks cuter than my own pic.

Xzallion
June 20th, 2008, 09:36 PM
My avatar is me striking a stupid pose. Enjoy.

starcannon
June 20th, 2008, 09:57 PM
This is an actual picture of me, okay, I did gimp the Ubuntu Logo in place of my throwing star. But other than that, thats what I really look like.

etnlIcarus
June 21st, 2008, 03:30 AM
My avatar is me striking a stupid pose. Enjoy.

Werd, homie.

sanderella
June 21st, 2008, 11:57 AM
Because I'm ugly #-o

barbedsaber
June 21st, 2008, 12:10 PM
you will now more about me if you understand that I am obbsesed with death note, than you will from any portrait of me.

geo909
June 21st, 2008, 01:56 PM
you will now more about me if you understand that I am obbsesed with death note

Hope you never find one

(&*4h*)#$
June 21st, 2008, 02:31 PM
And whether or not they did that, discussions would suddenly become less objective as people would just side with people that they fancied.

Good point. I used to have my pic as my avatar in another forum and some girls began being nice to me. I put back my big square avatar with just my nickname on it because I just don't like that kind of reaction. It just seems so fake. (Sorry if the first part sounded like bragging, but this was the first thing which hit me when I read your post.)

rudihawk
June 21st, 2008, 04:32 PM
I think people would be more prejudiced if we all had our actual pics up...

Fingel
June 21st, 2008, 04:35 PM
Lets just say children cry when they see me on the street.

etnlIcarus
June 21st, 2008, 04:45 PM
Good point. I used to have my pic as my avatar in another forum and some girls began being nice to me. I put back my big square avatar with just my nickname on it because I just don't like that kind of reaction. It just seems so fake. (Sorry if the first part sounded like bragging, but this was the first thing which hit me when I read your post.)

Similar thing happens when someone finds out a girl uses the Internet, OMG. Even if nothing strictly inappropriate is posted, users of the female persuasion tend to be treated especially graciously through virtue of simply being a girl. It's horribly 2-dimensional.

FuturePilot
June 21st, 2008, 04:50 PM
<------ Me :lolflag:

exactopposite
June 21st, 2008, 05:12 PM
i had been opposed to having any pics of myself online for a long time. at one point i thought i'd lossen up about it. i tried putting my pick in my avatar before on another forum. somebody photoshopped my pic and used it in their avy. i have never had any pictures of myself online since then.

never again will i put any image of myself online. as far as i know there is only 1 picture of me online right now and there is no way to conenct that to my screen name.

etnlIcarus
June 21st, 2008, 05:29 PM
somebody photoshopped my pic and used it in their avy. i have never had any pictures of myself online since thenWhen I posted my pic, someone added a soft-glow to the background; groomed my hair a little and gave me a beard, turning me into a Jesus look-a-like. Personally, I thought it was awesome. I even contemplated growing a beard.

Dr Small
June 21st, 2008, 05:30 PM
nathangrubb and others have told me that my mustache makes me look like Hitler :O

etnlIcarus
June 21st, 2008, 05:40 PM
nathangrubb and others have told me that my mustache makes me look like Hitler :O
Hitler? No.

http://content6.flixster.com/question/44/79/23/4479236_std.jpg
http://www.grudge-match.com/Images/clouseau.gif
http://thedreamersblog.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/300px-jacques_clouseau.PNG

Jacques Clouseau, however...

hariprs
June 21st, 2008, 05:48 PM
I have no problem in exposing my face on internet

atomkarinca
June 21st, 2008, 06:49 PM
I don't because I haven't had my photograph taken since '68. You can see that here (http://asset1.sosyomat.com/uyelik/sosyo_avatar_image/6/3/54236/avatar_xl.jpg).

geo909
June 21st, 2008, 07:58 PM
Hitler? No.
Jacques Clouseau, however...

HAHAHA, yes that's true!

loell
June 22nd, 2008, 12:14 AM
I don't because I haven't had my photograph taken since '68. You can see that here (http://asset1.sosyomat.com/uyelik/sosyo_avatar_image/6/3/54236/avatar_xl.jpg).

nice classic pic, you were badass back then :)

atomkarinca
June 22nd, 2008, 12:29 AM
nice classic pic, you were badass back then :)

Yeah, good and simpler times :)

Joeb454
June 22nd, 2008, 12:32 AM
I do have my pic...

Presto123
June 22nd, 2008, 02:29 AM
Because anything Monty Python owns my picture. ;)

Maybe I'll put mine up sometime.

neoAnderson
June 22nd, 2008, 02:36 AM
When it comes to anonymity and personal info there are things more important than uploading your pic in a forum . Like google and facebook (I'm not a conspiracy freak btw); what is worst, If you have your pic by your 'Joe576' nickname or have some company keep tracking your internet activities?

I mean, isn't it a bit awkward, trying to keep our anonymity this way?

Good point... I guess people think that while only your friends will see you on Facebook (if you have proper privacy settings), anybody can see you on these forums.

I'm too cute for y'all to see. :lolflag:

That too :guitar:

nick09
June 22nd, 2008, 02:44 AM
Because I would rather not have people photoshopping my face.

LaRoza
June 22nd, 2008, 02:55 AM
Because I would rather not have people photoshopping my face.

You mean "GIMP'd", Photoshop is an expensive piece of proprietary software, not a standard.

damphoud
June 22nd, 2008, 04:15 AM
I do understand why somebody would want to be anonymous. I have to wonder, why happens when you step outside and walk around on the streets? Somebody can easily snap a picture, and never mind a picture, but follow me home! Most people don't hide their face if they are walking in a busy city... Also, if I'm afraid of somebody taking advantage of me over the web, how could I ever deal with it in person? I don't know... fill me in if I'm missing something... :confused:

BWF89
June 22nd, 2008, 04:24 AM
This thread and the OP influenced me to put my photo as my avatar.

xebian
June 22nd, 2008, 04:27 AM
Because then it will no longer be an avatar.

LaRoza
June 22nd, 2008, 04:31 AM
I do understand why somebody would want to be anonymous. I have to wonder, why happens when you step outside and walk around on the streets? Somebody can easily snap a picture, and never mind a picture, but follow me home! Most people don't hide their face if they are walking in a busy city... Also, if I'm afraid of somebody taking advantage of me over the web, how could I ever deal with it in person? I don't know... fill me in if I'm missing something... :confused:

Yes, but that isn't the same as my online identity. I keep my "real" life separate from my "online" life.

For example, if I were in the news (I could easily be a celebrity, you'd never know), there would be no way to connect me to "LaRoza".

hanzomon4
June 22nd, 2008, 04:51 AM
You mean "GIMP'd", Photoshop is an expensive piece of proprietary software, not a standard.

A friend of mine at art school who actually uses linux(opensuse)agrees with the populace... GIMP sucks for professional application, maybe the next big version will be better(Gimp3?)

(&*4h*)#$
June 22nd, 2008, 12:03 PM
Similar thing happens when someone finds out a girl uses the Internet, OMG. Even if nothing strictly inappropriate is posted, users of the female persuasion tend to be treated especially graciously through virtue of simply being a girl. It's horribly 2-dimensional.

Yes, that, too. I would even say that it happens often. :lolflag:

geo909
June 22nd, 2008, 02:29 PM
Speaking of avatars, where do you people find all those different tux pics?!

syczu
June 22nd, 2008, 02:32 PM
<---- It's me, now you know that I'm tux, your master, the legend:KS

geo909, for example there http://biodegradablegeek.com/2008/06/over-900-awesome-tux-avatars-free-download/

Tux Aubrey
June 22nd, 2008, 02:48 PM
I am actually quite famous in real life and wouldn't want geeks stalking me or treating me differently just because they recognized who I really was.;)

geo909
June 22nd, 2008, 02:57 PM
I am actually quite famous in real life
Let me guess.. Napoleon?

Tux Aubrey
June 22nd, 2008, 03:01 PM
Nelson, actually. And I'd be back at sea if these bastards didn't lock me in at night!

arbulus
June 23rd, 2008, 06:27 PM
Because then it will no longer be an avatar.

Well, having an Ibex as your avatar is completely appropriate to the Ubuntu Forums, so you're excused.

AlexBellisBrown
June 23rd, 2008, 07:59 PM
Always be careful...

http://3113.com/iphoto/internetPhoto.html

swoll1980
June 23rd, 2008, 08:05 PM
If you notice most of the "my Picture" avitars look more like mug shots than anything else. I would rather not see a bunch of people mean mugging me.

Bungo Pony
June 23rd, 2008, 08:31 PM
I'm probably one of the few people here who have had the unfortunate experience of having their pic stolen and having it used for abusive purposes on other websites.

THAT is why I no longer use my pic, nor do I post pics of me nor my family publicly on the internet.

But if they want to abuse a pic of BonziBuddy, they're quite free to. BonziBuddy sucked. :)

geo909
June 23rd, 2008, 08:37 PM
I'm probably one of the few people here who have had the unfortunate experience of having their pic stolen and having it used for abusive purposes on other websites.

Wow.. Wouldn't expect that!

J.T.
June 23rd, 2008, 08:38 PM
My face is already out there. I was on Anderson Cooper 360 on CNN for the Universist Movement a couple of years back. Most of us also used our pictures on that forum as well. It made it more of a personal community. I do not fear people seeing who I am, because I accept who I am. I've been through a lot of hell in my life, and I have become a better person because of it. Some people hide their identity on the web so they can be someone their not. That's fine for them. I choose to be me.