PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Firefox 3

dinostabOMG
June 17th, 2008, 09:18 PM
So I hear Firefox 3 is released today! What is the best way for Ubuntu users to install it (keep in mind we're in ABT here)? Hopefully there is a good way today so our downloads can count toward the world record!

markekeller
June 17th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Well, if you're using Ubuntu Hardy, I hear Firefox 3 is shipped with it. But if you've got Gutsy (like me), you're best off getting it from the Mozilla site:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

ConMan318
June 17th, 2008, 09:28 PM
It ships with the beta of it, not the official release, as it just came out today and Hardy came out a while ago :p

I thought Hardy would tell me there was an update available, but it hasn't yet. It also isn't in synaptic, only the beta is. I guess we'll all have to get it from the firefox site unless it turns up in an update.

kamitsukai
June 17th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Well, if you're using Ubuntu Hardy, I hear Firefox 3 is shipped with it. But if you've got Gutsy (like me), you're best off getting it from the Mozilla site:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

I think you misinterpreted the question:) what dinostabOMG wants to know is how could ubuntu users install the final release of Mozilla Firefox which is out today (hardy comes with a beta release)

ScottLij
June 17th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Appears that I just updated it using the standard automatic updates in Hardy.

kamitsukai
June 17th, 2008, 09:31 PM
It ships with the beta of it, not the official release, as it just came out today and Hardy came out a while ago :p

I thought Hardy would tell me there was an update available, but it hasn't yet. It also isn't in synaptic, only the beta is. I guess we'll all have to get it from the firefox site unless it turns up in an update.

Looks like ConMan318 got there first:lolflag: but on a sidenote i dont think ubuntu will prompt for an update for a while as i believe it has to go through testing before it is put into the updates

***EDIT***
Looks like it's already in the update!

gameryoshi600
June 17th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I used this tutorial (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-firefox-3-rc1-in-ubuntu-hardy.html) to install it when RC1 came out.

mivo
June 17th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Not been offered to me yet, but I'd definitely wait for it to show up in the updates. At most we're talking about a few days.

kamitsukai
June 17th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Not been offered to me yet, but I'd definitely wait for it to show up in the updates. At most we're talking about a few days.

As your in Germany why not try the UK server? its already on there :) also if you want your download to count just download the Linux version form the site after you have updated ubuntu:KS

markekeller
June 17th, 2008, 09:37 PM
So installing from the Firefox website is what you have to do until Ubuntu packages it, I guess (and that way you help their Guiness World Record goal, too). You can run Firefox right out of the folder the download extracts to, too; so you can run it from there until it gets into the repositories and is installed properly.

cariboo
June 17th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I was going to update on my three windows partitions, but the servers where so slow, that i finally just gave up. I think I'll just wait a few more hours and then give it a try.

ScottLij
June 17th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I was going to update on my three windows partitions, but the servers where so slow, that i finally just gave up. I think I'll just wait a few more hours and then give it a try.

Did you try using one of the mirrors? Just go to Google and type in "Firefox mirror".

sydbat
June 17th, 2008, 09:52 PM
It seems to be part of the updates today...along with the new kernel.

rogerp1
June 17th, 2008, 09:57 PM
just came through on updates about 5 mins ago

freddybob
June 17th, 2008, 10:01 PM
congratulations and thanks to whoever got Firefox 3 final into the Ubuntu repos so quickly!

markbuntu
June 18th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Some repos are updated later than others...

dinostabOMG
June 20th, 2008, 03:59 AM
A few more questions:

So in Synaptic I am seeing firefox3, latest version 3.0~alpha8+nobinonly-0ubuntu1

Is that the final release of Firefox 3? Why does it say alpha? Is that what I should install?

Furthermore, should I uninstall Firefox 2? Will I lose my bookmarks and such? If I have them both checked, will I have them both installed? Will I get Firefox 2 or 3 if I click on the Firefox icon on the default panel on top?

Thanks

mivo
June 20th, 2008, 04:17 AM
The Firefox 3.0 package for Hardy is called firefox-3.0 (version 3.0+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.8.04.1. If you have something else installed, I'd uninstall it and install this package. Actually, there is also a meta package called firefox, which refers to the firefox-3.0 package.

dinostabOMG
June 20th, 2008, 04:29 AM
The Firefox 3.0 package for Hardy is called firefox-3.0 (version 3.0+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.8.04.1. If you have something else installed, I'd uninstall it and install this package. Actually, there is also a meta package called firefox, which refers to the firefox-3.0 package.

That's weird - here's what my Synaptic looks like (just reloaded)

http://josephjacir.com/stuff/ff_synaptic.png

I am using Gutsy, does that mean I can't use Synaptic to install Firefox 3?

mivo
June 20th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Oh, Gutsy. It seems that the 3.0 final hasn't made it yet to the Gutsy repository. I'd just wait a few days. Hardy got it a couple of days ago, but I'm pretty sure they'll add it for Gutsy as well.

Is the maintainer's email address included? (right click on the entry in Synaptic and check Properties) Perhaps you could drop them a note and inquire about it if it's still not there by Sunday?

dinostabOMG
June 20th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Oh, Gutsy. It seems that the 3.0 final hasn't made it yet to the Gutsy repository. I'd just wait a few days. Hardy got it a couple of days ago, but I'm pretty sure they'll add it for Gutsy as well.

Is the maintainer's email address included? (right click on the entry in Synaptic and check Properties) Perhaps you could drop them a note and inquire about it if it's still not there by Sunday?

Ah, okay. Thank you!

rungss
June 21st, 2008, 05:31 AM
Is it available in hardy for a particular server???

I checked it in main Server its not there.