PDA

View Full Version : Blurring your username in screenshots ?

oedipuss
June 17th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Why do people do this? Is is a security risk of some sort? If so, what could someone use it for ?

I do it myself, on the occasion I need to post a screenshot, but only because I've seen it done.
Just wondering, really..

LaRoza
June 17th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Why do people do this? Is is a security risk of some sort? If so, what could someone use it for ?

I do it myself, on the occasion I need to post a screenshot, but only because I've seen it done.
Just wondering, really..

Personal preference. I do it because my computer user name is different from my forum name and I only use "LaRoza" or "LaRoza77" as an internet identifier.

Exsecrabilus
June 17th, 2008, 08:56 PM
How do you blur your name? GIMP? If so, how?

FuturePilot
June 17th, 2008, 09:00 PM
You can use the Smudge tool.

oedipuss
June 17th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Gimp, a small rectangle selection, filters/blur/gaussian blur set to something high enough.

I understand it if it contains your real name, but if it's just another user id, then why ?

LaRoza
How do you blur your name? GIMP? If so, how?

I just overwrite it with some sort of brush. I have used Krita and the GIMP for this.

bufsabre666
gimp with the smudge tool, or photobuckets or anyother web services editor, picasas is pretty nice.

i only really blur my work email and my private email, other than that i dont care,i dont even blur my real name

ex:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/bufsabre666/Screenshot-9.png

gameryoshi600
June 17th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I don't. I like being called Chris. But I do blur my email or my friends names if I am on aim or something.

FyreBrand
June 17th, 2008, 09:57 PM

Just wondering, really..It can be a security risk. If someone knows your login name then they have half the equation to gain access to your system. If you login with an account that has SUDO privileges now they have one more piece for an administrative authority. A best security practice is obscurity. Part of the security idea behind sudo is that the root user isn't enabled. With an enabled root account the malicious person only has to try and gain password access to that account. If you account name is obscured they don't know where to start to gain access.

Exsecrabilus
June 17th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I don't. I like being called Chris.
I'm sorry, what were you saying--Chris?

JP, JP. LOL.

LaRoza
June 17th, 2008, 11:27 PM
It can be a security risk. If someone knows your login name then they have half the equation to gain access to your system. If you login with an account that has SUDO privileges now they have one more piece for an administrative authority. A best security practice is obscurity. Part of the security idea behind sudo is that the root user isn't enabled. With an enabled root account the malicious person only has to try and gain password access to that account. If you account name is obscured they don't know where to start to gain access.

Security by obscurity is a very bad security practice. It provides false security.

Polygon
June 17th, 2008, 11:48 PM
It can be a security risk. If someone knows your login name then they have half the equation to gain access to your system. If you login with an account that has SUDO privileges now they have one more piece for an administrative authority. A best security practice is obscurity. Part of the security idea behind sudo is that the root user isn't enabled. With an enabled root account the malicious person only has to try and gain password access to that account. If you account name is obscured they don't know where to start to gain access.

not really

unless a person you know in real life sees the screenshot, then they have to figure out your IP, find a security hole in some software you use, then guess your username and password.

kool_kat_os
June 17th, 2008, 11:59 PM
I dont use my name becuase most people cant even say it...Aakash

ad_267
June 18th, 2008, 12:05 AM
My screenshots usually only show my first name. I'd rather be called that than my user name so I don't mind myself and don't bother to hide it.

Joeb454
June 18th, 2008, 12:44 AM
I don't see the point in hiding my username...I'll let you guys figure out why :p

ad_267
June 18th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I don't see the point in hiding my username...I'll let you guys figure out why :p

Let me guess. It's Joe? Or Joeb?

LaRoza
June 18th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Let me guess. It's Joe? Or Joeb?

Winston, it is.

oarion7
June 18th, 2008, 02:03 AM
I've never thought to blur my own user name before... Only names i've ever blurred in screenshots are AIM/ICQ/WLM names on my buddy lists for my friends' own privacy.:popcorn:

p_quarles
June 18th, 2008, 03:42 AM
If someone knows your login name then they have half the equation to gain access to your system. If you login with an account that has SUDO privileges now they have one more piece for an administrative authority. A best security practice is obscurity. Part of the security idea behind sudo is that the root user isn't enabled. With an enabled root account the malicious person only has to try and gain password access to that account. If you account name is obscured they don't know where to start to gain access.
I don't know your username, but if you're using Ubuntu, it's a good bet that your administrator's UID is 1000. And you can use "sudo" to login to a UID rather than a username. In other words, it is only the strength of your password which would prevent any attacker from gaining root access.

^ One of many examples wherein security-by-obscurity leads quite directly to a false sense of safety.