PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Stuck at 15%

Kevin Lazaroff
June 17th, 2008, 08:52 PM
My laptop hard drive broke today and I started to install Ubuntu on my external, USB, Seagate FreeAgent Pro 500GB, monster of a hard-drive.

I'm using a Live CD that I ordered that didn't show any errors before I started install.

I've gotten to the point where there's just a small window that says "Detecting File Systems...", but it's stuck at 15%.

I want to know if this is just taking so long because of the size of the drive, or if it actually is a problem.

P.S.: I'm using a Gutsy Gibbon Live Disk

avtolle
June 17th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I know that this can take a while, and it seems nothing is happening. I've a feeling that the size of the drive is a factor, as is the speed of the processor. I don't know how long you've been looking at it at 15%, but if less than 30 minutes (yes, it took that long once on a much smaller HDD with a slow processor), give it a bit of time.

shareme
June 17th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Its the size of your hd and rpm speed.. it will take awhile..

Sorry about you losing your internal hd, its not fun..

Kevin Lazaroff
June 17th, 2008, 09:14 PM
thanks guys, I'm glad I got a response. I'll leave it overnight and see what's up in the morning.

I don't mind my drive breaking, I back it up, and the actuator arms from laptop drives are really cool when you put them on key rings.

Kevin Lazaroff
June 18th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Its been 5 hours, how long is this supposed to take?

How do I know that it's working?

:confused:

tarvtarv
November 14th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Same here i just tried the install of gutsy from the dvd i got with the linux format magazine,

Left it overnight and same issue stuck at 15%

Did you have any luck with that mate/?:popcorn: