PDA

View Full Version : Any groups in the Bartlesville Area?

SyntheticShield
June 17th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Hello all. I was sitting here today wondering if there were any local Linux/Ubuntu user groups or clubs and I start searching the forums and what do I find, LOL.

Anyway, a short intro of myself. My name is Scott and obviously I reside in Bartlesville, OK. I have been using Ubuntu for a few weeks now, but have sort of dabbled in Linux for about a year now off and on. I am fed up with Windows, but alas I am sorta tied to it for now so Im dual booting. I do a lot of automotive service work and some of the software I use there is just no open source version nor Linux based commercial version for.

I am a pretty big performance enthusist and go to the local tracks on occasion to race and I heavily involved with a few Super Gas and street ET class drag bikes. I can find a great deal of relaxation in turning wrenches and modifying cars. However, my professional job is in telecommunications and I am a network repair technician for a local phone company.

I am also and amateur photographer and an advid storm chaser. I had a website with all my photograpy but late last year it got kinda hacked so I tore it down while I re-evaluated the best way to get it back on line and continue to display the photography. I dont chase after the tornadoes, well they arent my prime target or focus, rather I chase to capture the lightning and cloud structures and Ive done some digital recordings of the storms here and there.

At any rate, before I get super long winded I thought I would see if there are any other Ubuntu users in the area and see about getting plugged in and try and learn more and take myself beyond the casual Linux user and perhaps have the skills to promote the system more and help others convert.

jamesstansell
June 18th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Hi Scott,

Always great to hear from another Ubuntu user, especially one with such a great introduction! Right now our forums and IRC aren't seeing much action. I _think_ that a post to the mailing list will be seen by more people, but there don't tend to be many answers there either.

As always, it would be great to hear of practical ideas to stimulate participation. It seems a certain momemtum may be needed, that we haven't reached yet.

Regards,

-james.

SyntheticShield
June 18th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Hmmm. Thanks for the reply. Thats sort of disaapointing that there is not more activity. The problem with Oklahoma, indeed many midwest/south central areas is that everything is so far flung. Unless you are in one of the metropolitan areas such as Oklahoma City or Tulsa people are probably going to be driving far to get to any event no matter where you hold it.

Any chance we could do an on-line gathering of sorts? Maybe get everyone together in a private chat room or something like that? Get the conversations going and develop the intrest and enthusiasm for a gathering of some kind.

I dont want to reinvent the wheel and start another group or anything like that but I sure would like to see some kind of gathering and such as I am very much determined to be more than just a typical Linux user or casual PC user. Windows never ever inspired me to learn such things indepth, but I would very much love to do so with Ubuntu.

If we have a forum or mailing list, can you please point me to them? Ive never used IRC in my life so Im not sure where to start with that. But I can certainly get on the mailing list and participate in the forum (if this is not it here).

jamesstansell
June 18th, 2008, 09:41 PM
The wiki page (first link in my signature) has a lot of the information. The very easiest way to get started with IRC is with a web proxy - I like Mibbit: http://embed.mibbit.com/?server=irc.freenode.net&channel=%23ubuntu-us-ok

We've tried (weekly?) chats before but I guess they haven't happened for a while. But if you want to pick a time and publish it, then go for it! If nothing else we might be able to attract some of the more active people from other states to show up.

Regards,

-james.

SyntheticShield
June 19th, 2008, 05:23 AM
James, sorry its taken so long to get back here and to reply. Ive been setting up my step-sons PC with Kubuntu and Ive been trying to figure out permissions, users, and groups and such so he doesnt have access to things that could mess up the install, but that is another thread elsewhere.

I have bookmarked the wiki page and as soon as I can I'll sign up on Launchpad and sign the CoC and we can go from there. Im very much on the newb end of this, but I gotta start learning somewhere.

palintheus
June 20th, 2008, 01:36 AM
feel free to hop on IRC I'm usually lurking and chatting around in other channels. I can help with the CoC signing and we can maybe brainstorm :)

SyntheticShield
June 20th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Im on there now, but I am a COMPLETE newb with IRC. Im using Konversation which installs with Kubuntu.