PDA

View Full Version : Opera users, are you disappointed?

kaldor
June 17th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I love Opera web browser. I've been using it for about a year back when I used Windows XP. After I got Ubuntu installed, I downloaded Opera's Linux version. I'm disappointed in the quality of Linux's Opera. Opera is the only browser I use in Windows because it's fast, stable, and looks great. But Linux's Opera doesn't have anything. The buttons are tiny, things overlap on web pages if you make the font bigger, it crashes a LOT, it's slow, and "wand" doesn't remember all of your options.

Anyone else find this?

cardinals_fan
June 17th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Nope. I run it straight from the tarball and it works GREAT!

LaRoza
June 17th, 2008, 08:26 PM
The only thing that lacks is "Voice" in Linux, and I don't use that.

Wand remembers all the options and is very good for me.

kaldor
June 17th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Wierd.. I normally get pissed off and switch back to Firefox =p

What linux distro do you have? What DE?

Maybe it's just Ubuntu with Gnome?

LaRoza
June 17th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Wierd.. I normally get pissed off and switch back to Firefox =p

Could it be the site changed that isn't being done right?

Ubuntu 8.04 and I don't use a desktop environment (I use wmii)

cardinals_fan
June 17th, 2008, 08:31 PM

I use Slackware. I actually use Xmonad, but I have KDE fully installed. Opera will always look better with KDE because it's a Qt app.

BTW, it runs BAD on NetBSD. Ah well.

kaldor
June 17th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I'll be getting a new laptop soon, and I plan on getting a KDE distro. I'll see how it works on that, maybe it is just Gnome.

Sunflower1970
June 17th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I use Opera on both a laptop & desktop with 8.04 Gnome. I also use 9.5 at work on Windows (along with FF) and don't have any issues with it on either platform

Bungo Pony
June 17th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I have a few issues with Opera which usually seems to be webpage compatibility (it's usually worse in Linux than Windows) but I still use it as my main browser. I'd rather have a fast, light browser with a couple of hangups than a slow, fat browser.

When I encounter those few hangups, I use Firefox.

June 17th, 2008, 09:18 PM
You can change the skin and change the size of the icons.

Overall, I prefer Opera over Firefox because of the speed of this browser. I find it to be the fastest browser for the computer I'm using. I'm pretty happy with it.

mr.propre
June 17th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Nope. I run it straight from the tarball and it works GREAT!

amen to that.

elgalloloco
June 17th, 2008, 09:30 PM
I use it over FF3....

No problems @ all!

Barrucadu
June 17th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I used it when I was on Windows, and now use it now that I am on Linux - I have used it on Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Zenwalk, Debian, FreeBSD, Fedora, OpenSUSE, and Arch, and I haven't noticed a difference in performance.

regomodo
June 18th, 2008, 12:02 AM
`

LaRoza
June 18th, 2008, 12:05 AM
i like the new ui design. I don't like the constant lockups. Even on non-flash sites.

That is odd, it has been flawless for me, even on Flash sites.

Try clearing the cache and restarting the browser, maybe something was left over from when you installed (if you had an earlier version)

coolbrook
June 18th, 2008, 02:27 AM
I didn't know until now that the final 9.5 was released. It's worth a look.

Nessa
June 18th, 2008, 02:33 AM
I am. I really like the speed dial feature though.

LaRoza
June 18th, 2008, 02:41 AM
We have a social group now. Join in and bask in our superiour choice of software (Opera)

hanzomon4
June 18th, 2008, 03:13 AM
FF3 has taken the tops in my opinion. It's just awesome on OS X and I only really have problems with facebook in the linux version(Slow scrolling, could it be ubuntu's cairo?). The speed dial feature is great but the little star thing in the awesome bar with tags instead of folders for bookmarks works better for me. The only thing I want now is tab previews a la opera or explorer.

HoldSteady
June 19th, 2008, 02:46 AM
I love Opera web browser. I've been using it for about a year back when I used Windows XP. After I got Ubuntu installed, I downloaded Opera's Linux version. I'm disappointed in the quality of Linux's Opera. Opera is the only browser I use in Windows because it's fast, stable, and looks great. But Linux's Opera doesn't have anything. The buttons are tiny, things overlap on web pages if you make the font bigger, it crashes a LOT, it's slow, and "wand" doesn't remember all of your options.

Anyone else find this?

I was running 9.27 under Feisty and was lately seeing more freezes and crashes (though not many at all compared to FF 2). I upgraded to Opera 9.50 and it is running very well, but they took away a feature I really had relied on: they removed Z as a page back command! They replaced it with Alt + Left (to which I say: Alt + WTF?), which sucks because I run with a mouse using my left hand so Z was right there. So what was once one key press, is now two key presses - including right-click + back. So much for progress. I know I can still use the backspace key (thankfully), but that's the wrong side of the keyboard for my setups.

Still wouldn't go back to FF2 and I'll wait until (if?) FF3 shows up in the stock Feisty repos to try the memory sink again.

cardinals_fan
June 19th, 2008, 03:16 AM
I was running 9.27 under Feisty and was lately seeing more freezes and crashes (though not many at all compared to FF 2). I upgraded to Opera 9.50 and it is running very well, but they took away a feature I really had relied on: they removed Z as a page back command! They replaced it with Alt + Left (to which I say: Alt + WTF?), which sucks because I run with a mouse using my left hand so Z was right there. So what was once one key press, is now two key presses - including right-click + back. So much for progress. I know I can still use the backspace key (thankfully), but that's the wrong side of the keyboard for my setups.

Still wouldn't go back to FF2 and I'll wait until (if?) FF3 shows up in the stock Feisty repos to try the memory sink again.
You do know that you can change the keyboard shortcuts, right?

Metallion
June 19th, 2008, 03:33 AM
I've been an Opera user for a bit over a year now and worked at the company as an intern in the past. Used it first on Win XP, then on feisty with gnome, then feisty KDE followed by gutsy and now hardy with KDE. All work like a charm for me.

Just learned from this thread that 9.5 is finally out. I'm quite happy with the Opera link feature. I use a couple of computers and do like to keep my browser on it more or less the same. The standard skin is hideous though. For anybody who shared my opinion, go here to find the old skin. http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/

I also like how they places the zoom tool conveniently at the bottom right.

fusionlord
June 19th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Well, I am kinda disappointed at this release because the new skin, but I can always download another one. Even though Firefox is now slightly faster than Opera and integrates better with Xubuntu, I still prefer Opera over Firefox simply because of Speed Dial and the Trash Can thing and that it is more accessibly customizable.

ice60
June 19th, 2008, 04:22 AM
i'm not dissapointed with opera, it's the best browser in the world! and that's a fact lol

you can make lots of changes to the default install, almost as much as firefox extensions. you have to use bookmarklets, userjs and manually edit the config files.

here's one, alot of people said their favourite firefox extension was that menu button thing so they could get rid of the menu toolbar, i've got that! :D it has a button to toggle the menu toolbar, plus the whole menu as a button. i found something similar here (where it says menu down the page lol) drag it straight up to a toolbar.
http://www.aimwell.org/Help/Buttons/buttons.html

LaRoza
June 19th, 2008, 04:31 AM
i'm not dissapointed with opera, it's the best browser in the world! and that's a fact lol

That is true. There is really nothing more to say.

ice60
June 19th, 2008, 04:40 AM
opera has got this in it to make browsing safer -
http://hautesecure.com/solutions.aspx

you can test it by clicking here, it's the hautesecure test page. -
http://www.verybadsite.com/

ice60
June 19th, 2008, 04:44 AM
That is true. There is really nothing more to say.
absolutely, i wouldn't use it if it wasn't the best lol.

i wrote this a while ago. it shows some things you can do with opera. you can see that menu button i was talking about in the first screenshot.
http://forums.opensuse.org/archives/sf-archives/tips-tricks-tweaks/344214-some-opera-tips.html

jbtamug99
June 19th, 2008, 05:26 AM
nope... using it right now in fact... on 7.10 gutsy with Gnome and love it more than firefox2 for sure. Wand works so much better than FF's password manager

bufsabre666
June 19th, 2008, 05:32 AM
im surprised with how nice it is now, i remember a very old version of opera on windows that was crap

still not impressed enough to get rid of swiftweasel

Christmas
June 19th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Opera 9.50 is really worth a try, it features great improvements over the last 9.27 version. Opera is such a nice browser, but too bad it's closed-source, it stops me from using it over Firefox or Konqueror.

LaRoza
June 19th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Opera 9.50 is really worth a try, it features great improvements over the last 9.27 version. Opera is such a nice browser, but too bad it's closed-source, it stops me from using it over Firefox or Konqueror.

Perhaps its closed source model has prevented the bloat that plagues firefox? Opera has much more features, but without the weight.

mini_g
June 19th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Nope! :mrgreen:

The release of 9.5 has made me actually want to "purchase" a web browser.:lolflag:

(Does anyone know how to donate to Opera? I have no need for any of their mobile products, and don't need Premium support)

kagashe
June 19th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I prefer opera over Firefox but I am disappointed because even the new version 9.5 does not render Indian Languages Fonts properly.

kagashe

Metallion
June 19th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I prefer opera over Firefox but I am disappointed because even the new version 9.5 does not render Indian Languages Fonts properly.

kagashe

Have you tried filing a bug for it? I never worked together with the Desktop team but when I was at the company, they did talk about supporting as many languages as possible as one of the main aims.

D-EJ915
June 20th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Opera has never disappointed me, first they let you use it with ads for free then they just got rid of them completely! How could I not love them, haha. I used to use Firefox, but I can make Opera work better for me. Plus the side bar is greater than everything.

SomeGuyDude
June 20th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Opera annihilates my memory, looks ugly as sin, doesn't use my system fonts and has no extensions.

On Windows, Opera > all. I was an Opera fanatic before switching, but now it's Swiftfox all the way.

kagashe
June 20th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Have you tried filing a bug for it? I never worked together with the Desktop team but when I was at the company, they did talk about supporting as many languages as possible as one of the main aims.As per this thread (http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=220425) on Opera community it works in Windows XP but not on Linux.

I have filed a bug report just now.

kagashe

LookTJ
June 20th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Wow! I'm impressed! I've installed it a few minutes ago under Arch(GNOME/OpenBox). :) So far, it's great. fast, and no little lag when moving within the UI. :)

Thanks guys for suggestion.:)

cdiem
June 20th, 2008, 08:32 AM
I really like Opera, and now with 9.50 I like it even more.

jrusso2
June 20th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Been using 9.50 seems very stable and fast. Has not crashed yet. Also using Firefox 3. Opera is faster, more stable and uses less resources.

Yesterday I was just reading a page with Firefox 3 on slashdot and poof it just crashed itself and I was not even doing anything but reading.

drhiii
June 23rd, 2008, 05:47 AM
Have been using Opera for quite awhile. Only gripe is it is slow. Pages take quite a bit longer to come together as compared to other browsers on the same systems. I have three Ubuntu clients and Opera is the same on all three... slower than Moses ost of the time. I use it because of the email integration. When I need to move out, I either use Firefox or one of the lighter browsers...

jrusso2
June 23rd, 2008, 05:49 AM
Your kidding right? Opera is blazing fast, this has been backed up by benchmarks in major computer magazines. The only thing close to it was Safari.

brett123
June 23rd, 2008, 06:44 AM
I too used Opera for years and years with Windows, but since my 8-odd weeks now with Ubuntu, it does in fact seem that Opera "is just not right" somehow. Not sure. Can't put my finger on it. But it definitely is different to their Windows' version.

Sticking with it though. It'd take a lot to get me to give up Opera. :D