PDA

View Full Version : Why don't people care?

Mazza558
June 17th, 2008, 08:24 PM
This is really starting to get annoying. I've tried to get a few of my less technologically inclined friends to download Firefox 3, and, for absolutely no reason, people are refusing to. Conversations seem to go something like:
(This person knew about firefox already)

Me: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
Someone: Yeah, heard about that on the news
Me: Go get it!
Someone: No
Me: Why not? set a world record!
Me: All you need to do is press one button on one website...
Someone: Fine thanks.
Me: ...

another one was (to someone who isn't that good with computers, and who I doubt had heard of Firefox):

Me: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
Me: These guys are trying to set a world record for the most software downloaded in an hour.
Me: About 1,400,000 people have already pledged to download it.
Someone: No.
Me: Why not?
Someone: Just no.
Someone: I don't know what it is. Probably has viruses.
Me: It doesn't. It's just a free web browser, better than Internet Explorer - you don't even need to install it, just download it.
Someone: No thanks.
Me: ...

This also happens with Ubuntu in general. If I told people I paid for it, it'd get a lot more interest. If people were impressed and then I suddenly say a few days later that they made it free, people would rush to get it. It's a sad state of affairs.

castrojo
June 17th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Get better friends. :D

Mazza558
June 17th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Get better friends. :D

Heh - I assure you, I still have some friends who understand where I'm coming from. Heck, they've probably been refreshing the download page every 30 minutes until it worked for them. I do get irritated by people who just don't "get" open source in general. :)

cardinals_fan
Another question would be "Why do people care?"

Exsecrabilus
When my sister first told me about Firefox, I didn't want to leave Internet Explorer.

Why? Because I didn't see the difference. "A web broswer is a web browser, not one is better than another." that's what I thought.

But when she convinced me, I became knowledgeable and started hating Microsoft.....partly because my Windows XP got screwed.....which then led me to Ubuntu.....which finally led me to here. XD

Mateo
June 17th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I'm one of those people who does't care. I don't use Firefox, so why would I download it? Why do I care if someone else gets a world record?

LaRoza
This also happens with Ubuntu in general. If I told people I paid for it, it'd get a lot more interest. If people were impressed and then I suddenly say a few days later that they made it free, people would rush to get it. It's a sad state of affairs.

I don't get that. "Free" gets people's attention.

As for Firefox, I haven't downloaded it or even considered it. Trying to get people to download stuff they don't want is righly rejected ;)

Opera ftw.

melrom
Fear of the unknown.

Don't worry, they'll eventually come over to the firefox side.

My friend was a diehard Internet Explorer fan, until his other friend went to some weird website that caused a virus on his computer. While I was fixing his computer, he came across web information that said the virus wouldn't have affected his system had the page been opened in firefox. He's been quite foxy ever since. :lolflag:

Seriously though.

sudo apt-get betterfriends

Mazza558
June 17th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Another question would be "Why do people care?"

True.

Then again, this isn't just yet another software release, but an attempt at a world record. That is something I'd always be a part of, and combined with what I think is one of the pinnacles of worldwide teamwork, I just can't help getting people interested in it.

By downloading it, or even just clicking the download button, people are saying "I support open source and teamwork". It's just one button on one page.

bufsabre666
June 17th, 2008, 08:30 PM
...:sigh:... i feel your pain Mazza

RiceMonster
June 17th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Stop trying to push things on people; it's not worth your time. A better thing to do would be to let them try it on your computer. If you push it on them they won't be interested.

Oh, and really, I don't see why people do care about this either.

melrom
June 17th, 2008, 08:32 PM
As for Firefox, I haven't downloaded it or even considered it. Trying to get people to download stuff they don't want is righly rejected ;)

Opera ftw.

Opera is nice, but it's not o-source.

But I think perhaps the OP's approach to the situation is wrong. I am assuming the people he is referring to are IE people. On that note, explaining the difference between the web browsers out there today, and then explaining that there's a brand new release of one called Firefox would be a better approach than just saying: "HEY! SET A WORLD RECORD!" Because it's not really about setting a world record. And hey, if they decide to go with something else that isn't IE and have a good experience, mission accomplished, in my opinion.

LaRoza
June 17th, 2008, 08:33 PM
True.

Then again, this isn't just yet another software release, but an attempt at a world record. That is something I'd always be a part of, and combined with what I think is one of the pinnacles of worldwide teamwork, I just can't help getting people interested in it.

By downloading it, or even just clicking the download button, people are saying "I support open source and teamwork". It's just one button on one page.

Chasing records for the sake of records is a little juvenile I think. In fact, there is a distinct population of people who don't use things if they are too popular.

Mazza558
June 17th, 2008, 08:33 PM

But I think perhaps the OP's approach to the situation is wrong. I am assuming the people he is referring to are IE people. On that note, explaining the difference between the web browsers out there today, and they explaining that there's a brand new release of one called Firefox would be a better approach than just saying: "HEY! SET A WORLD RECORD!" Because it's not really about setting a world record. And hey, if they decide to go with something else that isn't IE and have a good experience, mission accomplished, in my opinion.

Fair enough.

Am I slowly turning into a zealot? Into the very thing I despise in FOSS? Into the reason I don't go into Ubuntu Testimonials anymore? :(

LaRoza
June 17th, 2008, 08:34 PM

Firefox is bad, but it is open source.

I use what is good, which is 90 percent open source.

cdated257
June 17th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Why worry? Records are meant to be broken. Even if they do get it, they may not hold it for long.

melrom
Fair enough.

Am I slowly turning into a zealot? :(

Haha. Nahhh. I think it's reasonable to be excited if you're a supporter of firefox.

Firefox is bad, but it is open source.

I use what is good, which is 90 percent open source.

I was simply saying. I use both Opera and firefox on my different machines. It's a matter of preference after awhile. I know people that have come back to firefox for the add-ons and extensions. I know people that have gone to Opera for the faster browsing. I think both are great, really, but I am partial to firefox, simply because it was my first switch off of IE. Haha.

gameryoshi600
They don't need to do it. But once they get viruses with IE then they are going to be running over to you asking where they can get firefox.

Exsecrabilus
June 17th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Firefox is bad.
Really? Can you explain? I'd like to learn why it is "bad."

What happened a few minutes ago:

Me: The Firefox site's back up, help them set a world record!
My Sister: **** you, I'm watching something.
Me: But--
My Sister: I'll do it in a few hours, I'm watching something!
Me: OK.

freebeer
June 17th, 2008, 08:37 PM

People are funny that way. There's an old business/marketing adage that comes to play here... "free samples", etc. have very little (if any) value attached to them. So I use their own foibles against them. If I think someone can really benefit by switching to an Open Source product (a program or even an operating system), I tell them that it cost me a lot, but it was worth it. (Not a lie... I had to learn to use it and I highly value my time ;)) But I know where I can get you a free legal copy... it's amazing how well that works. :D

LaRoza
June 17th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Really? Can you explain? I'd like to learn why it is "bad."

It isn't as good as Opera. It has less features, but uses more resources. Its extensions are the only good things about it, and the extensions' functions that I used in it are built into Opera and are always compatible with the version of Opera I am using. Opera is better looking (I really like my theme, and I found no similar theme for Firefox).

rune0077
June 17th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Why should people care about some stupid world record? Firefox will be the same, regardless of any entries in that there what's-it's-name book of records. The whole idea of setting a record is ridiculous, and enough to make me postpone downloading Firefox 3 to a few days after the whole buzz is over. I hope they don't get it (can anyone tell I'm in a grumpy mood today :))

Other than that, you can't force people to care about something if they don't actually care about it. Imagine if somebody insisted on making you see how wonderful some sport that you find absolutely boring (figure-skating, anyone?) actually was, and then wouldn't stop nagging you about it? You'd get pretty annoyed eventually, I'll imagine.

If people don't care, stop trying to make them!

madjr
June 17th, 2008, 08:41 PM
i don't care if they care or not i just go to their houses and download it for them.

I'll be doing much visiting today. :guitar:

rune0077
June 17th, 2008, 08:43 PM
It isn't as good as Opera. It has less features, but uses more resources. Its extensions are the only good things about it, and the extensions' functions that I used in it are built into Opera and are always compatible with the version of Opera I am using. Opera is better looking (I really like my theme, and I found no similar theme for Firefox).

Firefox uses your GTK-theme. I stopped using Opera because it looked so out of place next to all my other programs. Firefox looks much better. Opera is much faster, though. Oh, and Opera does not have anything to replace most of the extensions I use. Oh, and maybe this thread is turning into an Opera vs. Firefox debate, and if so, I greatly apologize.

cardinals_fan
June 17th, 2008, 08:43 PM
i don't care if they care or not i just go to their houses and download it for them.

Let me get this straight. You're going to people's houses and downloading software regardless of whether they want it or not?!

melrom
June 17th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Firefox uses your GTK-theme. I stopped using Opera because it looked so out of place next to all my other programs. Firefox looks much better. Opera is much faster, though. Oh, and Opera does not have anything to replace most of the extensions I use. Oh, and maybe this thread is turning into an Opera vs. Firefox debate, and if so, I greatly apologize.

Not quite an O vs. F debate...yet... :)

But @LaRoza, I still don't understand how thinking Opera is better makes firefox "bad." I still think it all comes down to preference and what best suits your needs.

Exsecrabilus
June 17th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Let me get this straight. You're going to people's houses and downloading software regardless of whether they want it or not?!
LOLZ that guy is full of epic hormones.

gameryoshi600
June 17th, 2008, 08:45 PM

:lolflag:

cookieofdoom
June 17th, 2008, 08:46 PM

That sounds like Microsoft.:lolflag:

Mazza558
June 17th, 2008, 08:46 PM
At the moment, the thread is two things:

- An "I care" vs "Don't care" debate
- An Opera vs Firefox debate.

Exsecrabilus
June 17th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Link to theme? I have Opera installed but don't use it. If I get a good theme, maybe I'll open it up.....?

Delever
June 17th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Simply inform them, and some percent of informed people will download it.

feisty john
June 17th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I haven't downloaded it for my non-Ubuntu computers (Mac OS at home and work) because I don't like the "awesome bar." I just want URLs in the location bar, not the title of the page and a description. Maybe there is/will be a way to revert to the old-style location bar, but it doesn't matter that much to me. Maybe that's a lame reason to avoid it for now. But, I'll keep using Firefox 3 in Ubuntu Hardy, which comes with Firefox 3 by default, and keep using 2 on my computers that already have 2. It works fine.

LaRoza
June 17th, 2008, 08:48 PM
But @LaRoza, I still don't understand how thinking Opera is better makes firefox "bad." I still think it all comes down to preference and what best suits your needs.

I don't see how Opera being closed source makes Firefox better.

cardinals_fan
June 17th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Link to theme? I have Opera installed but don't use it. If I get a good theme, maybe I'll open it up.....?
I really like Oxid 2.2 (http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/info/?id=373)

LaRoza
June 17th, 2008, 08:50 PM

http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/info/?id=644

It is perfect. I was looking for something exactly like that for a long time.

I don't use GNOME (so no GTK theme).

melrom
June 17th, 2008, 08:50 PM

I wasn't trying to make the point that Opera being closed source makes Firefox better. I was just saying that it is closed source.

I use both Opera and Firefox about the same amount. I'm a fan of both of them. :)

Mazza558
June 17th, 2008, 08:52 PM

Firefox has the potential to be better than Opera. When Opera dies as a company, for whatever reason, Firefox will still exist in some shape or form due to its massive user-base and number of contributors.

Companies fail and stagnate. Teams of thousands working with a passion for what they do will never fail.

Exsecrabilus
June 17th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Firefox has the potential to be better than Opera. When Opera dies as a company, for whatever reason, Firefox will still exist in some shape or form due to its massive user-base and number of contributors.

Companies fail and stagnate. Teams of thousands working with a passion for what they do will never fail.
Spoken like a true open-source-believer.

LaRoza
June 17th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Spoken like a true open-source-believer.

But until then...I will use Opera.

madjr
June 17th, 2008, 09:07 PM

absolutely i do it all the time :guitar:

they do as i say when am there.

presence is important

mrgnash
June 17th, 2008, 09:07 PM
'Probably has viruses.'

I think I just lost the will to live.

LaRoza
June 17th, 2008, 09:09 PM
'Probably has viruses.'

That is actually a good attitude I think.

Someone telling you to download something you don't want, most likely does have something malicious in it.

Mazza558
June 17th, 2008, 09:10 PM
'Probably has viruses.'

Hah.

On one level, you get pretty interested in FOSS, but if you step back a bit, you realise that there's no real reason to care about the structures of 1s and 0s on metal disks inside a piece of hollow plastic and metal. It's entirely about your perspective. It's quite surreal if you're climbing a mountain when you were discussing said structure of 1s and 0s on a metal disk the day before.

PurposeOfReason
June 17th, 2008, 09:10 PM
'Probably has viruses.'

It could if you don't download it from the site. I realize the link was the offocial site, but it's always possible. "If it can go wrong [. . .]"

That being said, I won't be downloading it because I love my epiphany+webkit far too much to use gecko.

cespinal
June 17th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Why do YOU care about people?

Stefanie
June 17th, 2008, 09:15 PM
i have to admit... a few years ago i preferred IE over firefox, too, and i didn't want firefox :oops:
but, as a defence, i had a dial-up connection back then, and for some reason FF was LOADS slower then IE. I still don't understand why. It changed when i switched to broadband, and that's when i started using FF.

about the open source concept, to be honest, i was already using FF for a few years when I found out that it was 100% open source, and what open source actually means... to me it was just an alternative browser, period, and i don't think it's easy to explain to new users why open source is better for software development.

Phenax
June 17th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Chasing records for the sake of records is a little juvenile I think. In fact, there is a distinct population of people who don't use things if they are too popular.

This is actually more likely an ingenious and well executed scheme to attract quite a few more Firefox users.

Kronie
June 17th, 2008, 09:27 PM
This is really starting to get annoying. I've tried to get a few of my less technologically inclined friends to download Firefox 3, and, for absolutely no reason, people are refusing to. Conversations seem to go something like:
tell me about it -_-
you know what pisses me off about the computer newbs(not linux, but computer overall).. that they have that paranoia for frikin viruses >_<
i have a sister who had some problems with her browsing experience(she was on IE 6), so i told her to get the firefox and she was refusing to cuz she thot i was tricking her to get a frikin virus >_<

cardinals_fan
June 17th, 2008, 09:35 PM
absolutely i do it all the time :guitar:

they do as i say when am there.

presence is important
If you tried to install something that I didn't want on MY computer, I would remove you from the house with Thumper, my trusty aluminum baseball bat.

Saya
June 17th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Download Day is a perfect example of how narrow-minded Linux people can be. It's a friggin marketing idea. There is no record to beat. It won't matter whether you or any of your friends download it. In the end it'll be "We set a new world record!" and the only variable will be the number of downloads. The next person to IM me about it will get smacked.

Dzenhax
June 17th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Amico mio you are talking about a failing of most of human kind. People are creatures of habbit. They don't like to try anything new.

It's like Melrom said. You have to give them a reason to want to change.

Exsecrabilus
June 17th, 2008, 09:41 PM
The next person to IM me about it will get smacked.
*gets smacked*

madjr
June 17th, 2008, 09:57 PM
If you tried to install something that I didn't want on MY computer, I would remove you from the house with Thumper, my trusty aluminum baseball bat.

well that's because you are a jealous geek, no one can touch your "precious"

you'd smacked your kids if they get too close :o

Saya
June 17th, 2008, 09:59 PM
well that's because you are a jealous geek, no one can touch your "precious"
No, because it's his friggin right to decide what to use. If you'd install Ubuntu on my laptop against my will I'd kick your ***.

madjr
June 17th, 2008, 10:01 PM

i thought opera was open source (or was going to)

*removes opera from system*

nah i give merit to opera for being cross-platform (at least)

madjr
June 17th, 2008, 10:02 PM
No, because it's his friggin right to decide what to use. If you'd install Ubuntu on my laptop against my will I'd kick your ***.

lulz we got another 1 :o

Delever
Download Day is a perfect example of how narrow-minded Linux people can be. It's a friggin marketing idea. There is no record to beat. It won't matter whether you or any of your friends download it. In the end it'll be "We set a new world record!" and the only variable will be the number of downloads. The next person to IM me about it will get smacked.

What if I am downloading just to support Mozilla Corporation? I know my reasons, I know that will cause some publicity, therefore I support it.

Saya
lulz we got another 1 :o
Get the 4chan lingo off my Ubuntu forums.

Saya
June 17th, 2008, 10:05 PM
What if I am downloading just to support Mozilla Corporation? I know my reasons, I know that will cause some publicity, therefore I support it.
The number of downloads won't matter. There will be a press release about how Mozilla has set a new record no matter what. It probably has been written already. There's only a $downloads that has yet to be replaced.

Delever
June 17th, 2008, 10:06 PM
The number of downloads won't matter. There will be a press release about how Mozilla has set a new record no matter what. It probably has been written already. There's only a $downloads that has yet to be replaced.

You forget that people have opinions. They will matter for "someone" anyway.

karellen
June 17th, 2008, 10:13 PM
people don't like to be told what to do. nor to feel "compelled" to act in a certain way. why should they care if Firefox beats the world downloads record?

chudder
June 18th, 2008, 02:53 AM
I think both fear of the unknown and not seeing a need. I saw a need, I got tons of spyware from IE, to the point where I got popups when I wasn't even browsing at all! Then my friends showed me firefox. I have met people who really for some odd reason "think" like microsoft, they can't imagine how browsing/computing could be better, some of them even tried open source and still felt that way. I had one friend who used openoffice and eventually accused of being made in someone's garage, that made me mad...

Quillz
June 18th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Stop trying to push things on people; it's not worth your time. A better thing to do would be to let them try it on your computer. If you push it on them they won't be interested.

Oh, and really, I don't see why people do care about this either.
Exactly. It's their computer, they decide what they will and will not use. You have no business changing their computer habits, and if some moronic Firefox zealot tried to force me to download the browser, I'd refuse, as well. If I want to use Firefox, I will. I'm not going to be annoyed by some idiot who cares too much about some dumb world record.

ChameleonDave
June 18th, 2008, 03:29 AM
The whole world-record thing is a silly waste of bandwidth. Your friends rightly refuse to take part.

Sticking with IE is just stupid though. They should obviously change to Firefox or Opera (or K-Meleon on Windows, Safari on OS X, Konqueror on KDE).

Mr. Scott
June 18th, 2008, 03:55 AM
I find that trying to make people care rarely works. Most people will stick with what they know until it really lets them down personally. I did recently get someone to switch to Firefox, and then to Ubuntu.

I did this by first getting her to try Firefox,Open Office, and other FOSS software that also comes with Ubuntu while running Windows. She fell in love with all of it.

When her Windows XP took a bad turn and refused to be repaired easily, she told me how much she wanted to get away from Windows. I said "Let me show you this LiveCD of Ubuntu." The next day I was installing Hardy on her computer.

She's been happy ever since, because she was ready for an alternative.
Not everyone is.

DeadSuperHero
June 18th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Just had to.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/perspective.png

karellen
June 18th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Just had to.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/perspective.png

I love that site

CostaRica
June 18th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Definitely people won't change what they use until they feel the need. That is why M$ got IE by default in Windows. They are certainly not stupid (business intelligence I mean).

madjr
June 18th, 2008, 09:14 AM
The whole world-record thing is a silly waste of bandwidth. Your friends rightly refuse to take part.

That's why people like FOSS, because it's a community and they have "silly events" like this.

that's how a community unites, by doing "events" (silly or not)

That's how humans function, most need to be part of something.

Even the forums are full with silly and stupid threads. People just want some fun doing "silly" things and not work all day.

rune0077
June 18th, 2008, 11:30 AM
That's why people like FOSS, because it's a community and they have "silly events" like this.

that's how a community unites, by doing "events" (silly or not)

Nah, they had this event for much the same reason coca-cola has advertisement when you go to the movies: it's about branding, a marketing scheme.

Tomatz
June 18th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Free often gets tarred with the same brush as worthless.

Do people want to walk around in the latest shoes because they are free or because they are expensive?

This is FOSS'es greatest challenge of all.

We know its far from worthless but how do we convince others?

Dzenhax
June 22nd, 2008, 12:22 AM
Free often gets tarred with the same brush as worthless.

Do people want to walk around in the latest shoes because they are free or because they are expensive?

This is FOSS'es greatest challenge of all.

We know its far from worthless but how do we convince others?

We wait for them to grow up and think for themselves. Sure, we can offer advice But in a world where opinion and trend is shaped by the young an impressionable, and TV is the main input for feeding that crowd, where does real thinking for yourself come in?

Cute baby by the way. Yours?

jdunn
June 22nd, 2008, 12:53 AM
My migration through primary web browsers...
Archie and lynx (shows how dated I am)
Mosaic
Netscape
Mozilla
Firefox

I have used most versions of IE from time to time, usually out of necessity...I hate it.
I've never tried Opera. I would try it, except for compatability issues I've heard about.
I will never ever ever ever ever try Safari.

chucky chuckaluck
June 22nd, 2008, 01:00 AM

if you said that to me, i'd probably go out of my way to use anything but firefox. if you normally talk to your friends in such a manner, they're probably deaf to you, by now.

this contrived record setting thing is nonsense, as well.

mj-barton
June 22nd, 2008, 01:04 AM
I agree with this frustration. I've given up on pressing the issue and just let it happen. I used Firefox and if they ask why the browser looks different and then explain that it is not IE and its advantages.

frup
June 22nd, 2008, 01:09 AM
Back to the Op,

What I noticed from the way you were "telling" them to get firefox 3 was the imperative nature of your language. You weren't simply making them aware of ff3 or even asking them to help but actually trying to make them do it. If others are anything like me they would automatically say no, especially if they know little about ff.

On the other hand someone who has ff2 I would think would automatically want to upgrade (unless ff2 works fine and they resist change)

From my perspective, when advocating anything do not be a "jehova's witness" and try force evangelical doctrine down their throats, instead plant a seed which will grow. If you really wanted people to participate in the world record you should have started at least a week earlier. That way their minds and subconscious would have had time to mull over the idea, research and make an informed, personal decision on what they wanted to do, not what you wanted them to do.

The right approach would be more like "Hey I'm using firefox 3 it's so cool, much better than x and it has x cool feature. I'm so impressed, have you heard about firefox 3?"

Asking them if they have heard about ff3 brings them in to the conversation, taking a slice of humble pie or even engaging in socratic irony allows you to engage with them, make them think they have the authority and most often almost control them and the direction of the conversation :D.

If you practice that watch how you can advocate various software, political ideologies etc. You have to be subtle and gentle and most importantly understand both sides.

jeremy1138
June 22nd, 2008, 01:15 AM
I can't imagine why people wouldn't use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer... It has so many great features and it's so customizable. I've used Firefox exclusively for a while now, ever since a friend of mine told me about it. It's a great program. I have never tried any other browsers aside from Firefox and Internet Explorer so I can't say that Firefox is better than these other browsers but I know for sure it's better than IE.

Exsecrabilus
June 22nd, 2008, 01:51 AM
I can't imagine why people wouldn't use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer... It has so many great features and it's so customizable. I've used Firefox exclusively for a while now, ever since a friend of mine told me about it. It's a great program. I have never tried any other browsers aside from Firefox and Internet Explorer so I can't say that Firefox is better than these other browsers but I know for sure it's better than IE.
Because some people just want to go straight to browsing the web, and what better than to use the pre-installed browser to browse the browse-able web?

mrgnash
June 22nd, 2008, 01:57 AM
Firefox is one of our main vanguards when it comes to spreading FOSS, open-standards, and the open web. That is the main reason to support marketing efforts like this -- even acknowledging that that is precisely what they are.

If you really believe that (insert obscure browser name here) is going to have the same efficacy in reaching out to a great many people, then I think you're sorely mistaken.