PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install error!

ansabhailte
June 17th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I have had 6.06 feisty fawn and windows xp professional dual-partitioned on my computer, but xp got viruses, so I used a reload cd and wiped it clean. However, it also deleted ubuntu (but left the partition?!) so I tried reinstalling ubuntu with the same cd that I originally used. It gave me the "Device error I/O error on device hdc" message, so I used the xp cd to delete all partitions but xp. I still got the same message afterwards, so I deleted all partitions and tried to install just ubuntu on my raw drive. Same freakin message. HELP!

wpshooter
June 17th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Is Feisty still supported ? Is it possible that this is related to Feisty not being supported ? I would consider going to Gutsy or perhaps even Hardy. But personally, I would stay with Gutsy, at this time.

Assuming that nothing has gone wrong with your install CD (have you checked the CD's integrity by running the verification function that is found on the initial Ubuntu boot screen menu), I would get www.killdisk.com and WIPE the drive completely clean, then reinstall XP and then reinstall Gutsy.

Good luck.