PDA

View Full Version : hey everyone! im new to Ubuntu!

d3drocks
June 17th, 2008, 07:53 PM
hey all,
im new here.
got my start on linux with Redhat 9, (was on www.fileplanet.com for some odd reason). now, being only 17 years of age, i couldnt install it on the household pc, so i stuck it on my personal 400mhz p2 machine. it worked extremely well. i eventually got a faster personal machine, and had installed Debian onto it. the audio drivers on it didnt work with my card, so i switched to fedora (which is still installed on it). found out about Wubi, and instantly put it on the household machine.
Hardy boots up so fast that i almost never boot windows now.

so yeah, i write alot of music with FL-Studio 8, and other programs. working on a release with Random Access Recordings currently.
i was first attracted to linux by LMMS (which btw is out of date in the package manager. it installs 0.3.1, but 0.3.2 is out).

check out my music here:
http://www.soundclick.com/chrisbulman
www.myspace.com/bulmanchris
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Chris-Bulman/11988709369

cardinals_fan
June 17th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Hello :)

bufsabre666
June 17th, 2008, 08:03 PM
welcome to the community, please keep your arms and legs inside the ride at all times and enjoy your stay =P

d3drocks
June 17th, 2008, 08:09 PM
welcome to the community, please keep your arms and legs inside the ride at all times and enjoy your stay =P

Duely noted :lolflag:

if you guys want, go listen to my music, add me as a friend on myspace or as a fan on facebook!
also, if anyone needs music for a game, or a demosong for a synth or DAW, im your guy :guitar:

Exsecrabilus
June 17th, 2008, 08:12 PM
hey everyone! im new to Ubuntu!
gtfo no one cares

Just kidding. Welcome, if you need any help with anything, PM me and I'll try to help! :D

d3drocks
June 18th, 2008, 02:12 AM
gtfo no one cares

Just kidding. Welcome, if you need any help with anything, PM me and I'll try to help! :D

ty! i may take you up on that!

cheers

DeadSuperHero
June 18th, 2008, 03:48 AM
Oh God...not ANOTHER new user...

Oh, wait, these aren't the Debian boards!

Welcome!

You do music, huh? I'll have to take a look.

LaRoza
June 18th, 2008, 04:27 AM
I see you like Michael Angelo Batio. He is a great guitarist isn't he? I sometimes watch him on youtube when I want to be amazed.

Frak
June 18th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Oh God...not ANOTHER new user...

Oh, wait, these aren't the Debian boards!

Welcome!

You do music, huh? I'll have to take a look.
It's funny because its true :lolflag:

ad_267
June 18th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Welcome!

You'll probably want to check out Ubuntu Studio if you haven't already.

d3drocks
June 18th, 2008, 04:48 AM
I see you like Michael Angelo Batio. He is a great guitarist isn't he? I sometimes watch him on youtube when I want to be amazed.

i know what you mean. aside from all my electronic music, i do also play guitar.

Welcome!

You'll probably want to check out Ubuntu Studio if you haven't already.

i did, but i figured all Ubuntu already had all of the packages, all i have to do is install them.
i also downloaded the Ubuntu Studio skin for Gnome cause its awesome :)
i have ardour installed, but its a bit of a pain to use.
for a program like protools its a pain to get it to play back what i just recorded.
ah well, guess ill read the manual more closely :)

ad_267
June 18th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Ubuntu Studio actually contains a customized Linux kernel suitable for audio production. I'm not exactly sure of the details though, someone else can probably explain it better.

Edit, Wikipedia can: The kernel included with Ubuntu Studio is modified for intensive audio, video or graphics work. The scheduler allows applications to request immediate CPU time, which can drastically reduce audio latency. Ubuntu Studio also includes custom artwork, a blue-on-black theme as opposed to Ubuntu's default brown and orange.

Midwest-Linux
June 18th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Welcome aboard!

d3drocks
June 18th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Ubuntu Studio actually contains a customized Linux kernel suitable for audio production. I'm not exactly sure of the details though, someone else can probably explain it better.

Edit, Wikipedia can: The kernel included with Ubuntu Studio is modified for intensive audio, video or graphics work. The scheduler allows applications to request immediate CPU time, which can drastically reduce audio latency. Ubuntu Studio also includes custom artwork, a blue-on-black theme as opposed to Ubuntu's default brown and orange.

ok thats interesting.
is it compatible with WUBI?

ad_267
June 18th, 2008, 05:32 AM
ok thats interesting.

I'm not sure. I think it only comes with a text based installer so it's a bit more involved than a wubi install and you might want to make partitions first using the live CD if you do one day decide you want to try it out.

mini_g
June 18th, 2008, 07:05 AM
ok thats interesting.

Ubuntu Studio is in the repo's as ubuntustudio-desktop. (Not sure which one it is in though...)

It can be installed to your WUBI installation of Ubuntu.

:popcorn:

(BTW, welcome!) :mrgreen:

Nessa
June 18th, 2008, 07:09 AM
That would only install the desktop though and not the modified kernel.

Welcome to Ubuntu! :-D

KaliVoid
June 18th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Welcome (Home)

aside from all my electronic music, i do also play guitar.

Check the guitar thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=246089&) and a good tab edit: TuxGuitar (http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/)

d3drocks
June 18th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Welcome (Home)

Check the guitar thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=246089&) and a good tab edit: TuxGuitar (http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/)

ok, will do :guitar:

Linuxratty
June 18th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Your fortunate you were able to get Wubi to work..I was not and had to reinstall XP on the lappy after a failed install which made it impossible to download anything after the Wubi experience. (Which I never experienced.):(
Anyway, I'm using Klikit Linux right now,which is downstream from Kbuntu.

EnergySamus
June 18th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Hows it going!

Exsecrabilus
June 18th, 2008, 06:32 PM
After The Wubi Experience. (which I Never Experienced.):(
Lol.

d3drocks
June 18th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Your fortunate you were able to get Wubi to work..I was not and had to reinstall XP on the lappy after a failed install which made it impossible to download anything after the Wubi experience. (Which I never experienced.):(
Anyway, I'm using Klikit Linux right now,which is downstream from Kbuntu.

you were probably using an earlier version of it.
it works here, and ive gotten a few friends to use it without issues.

Frak
June 18th, 2008, 10:06 PM
you were probably using an earlier version of it.
it works here, and ive gotten a few friends to use it without issues.
+1, though I've been through every release of it.

mini_g
June 18th, 2008, 11:05 PM
That would only install the desktop though and not the modified kernel.

It installs the -rt kernel. If this not the correct one?

d3drocks
June 19th, 2008, 05:48 AM
It installs the -rt kernel. If this not the correct one?

ide like to know too.

ma_nkooo
June 19th, 2008, 05:52 AM
You're welcome.

d3drocks
June 22nd, 2008, 08:07 PM
just wondering if anyone found out if it installs that special kernal when you WUBI Ubuntustudio.