PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] 8.04 server will not install

Teronap
June 17th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Hello,
I was going to reinstall my xubuntu installation, but this time going for a basic install from the server CD and building it up.

I tried to boot the CD and it booted to the stage whare I could select install, memory test, etc, but when I tried to install, all that happened was that a blinking cursor came up. This happened with the other options as well.

I could boot fine from my xubuntu 7.10 live CD, so I am wondering what the problem is.

Thanks in advance

avtolle
June 17th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Two things to check: first, whether the iso you downloaded is corrupt, i.e., the md5sum of the file. Second, the integrity of the CD after it is burned (an option at the boot menu). Please check these.

Teronap
June 17th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I tried to check the integrity of the CD, but it does the same thing as when I try to install. I will check the md5sum.

[Edit] MD5sums are the same

avtolle
June 17th, 2008, 04:48 PM
With the md5sum checking OK, then I'll suggest reburning the iso to CD. Use a low speed for the process (4x works for me on older H/W) and use a CD-R (again, for me this "always works"; I've had problems with CD-RW medium).

Teronap
June 17th, 2008, 05:03 PM
The first thing that I did was reburning the cd, and at 8x, the slowest the software I was using would go. Im going to check the md5sum of the actual CD to make sure it burned correctly.

Teronap
June 17th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I have checked the md5sum of the burnt CD, and it is fine. I will try reburning it to see if that helps.