PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] alternative install - media change (?)

Onesimus
June 17th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I am installing Hardy Heron on a desktop computer. After the partitioning section the installer requests that I change the media. I get something like:

Media change: please insert the disc labeled
'Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386'
in the drive '/cdrom/' and press enter

I am assuming that the CD it is requesting is already in the drive because that's the installation CD. Similar threads have requested that the /etc/sources file may be the cause - but this is the first time I am doing an Ubuntu installation on this machine.

Any ideas ?

avtolle
June 17th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I presume you are using a CD burned from the final iso which you downloaded, rather than a beta or a daily build? If so, then (out of my desperation) what happens if you open the drive, remove the CD, then put it back in and close the drive?

wpshooter
June 17th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Have you checked the integrity of your Ubuntu CD by running the verification function that is found on the initial Ubuntu boot screen menu ?

Also, does your CD drive possibly need cleaning and does the CD drive have the latest and greatest firmware installed on it ?

Onesimus
June 17th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I checked the md5sum on the .iso file that I downloaded today (so it was the final) - that matched with that given on the website.

I have yet to check the CD integrity, but will do so tonight.

Onesimus
June 17th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I have now checked the integrity of the installation CD - that is fine. The system requires the media change when it is installing the kernel.

The suggestion of removing the CD and reinserting does not work as the CD is locked into the drive.

How would I go about checking whether the PC has the latest firmware on it. Is this information stored in the BIOS ?

Onesimus
June 19th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Anyone ???