PDA

View Full Version : What if Canonical decides to go home ???

wpshooter
June 17th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I know that any answers to this question might be purely speculitive, but what in your opinion, would happen if say tomorrow, Canonical (their financial investment in this project) got tired on playing and decided to take their basketball home ?

Would the Ubuntu project be able to find an alternate source of financial support for this project or would this project be unable to be sustained at the CURRENT LEVEL without financial support similar to that being given by Canonical ?

And finally, has Canonical made any binding long-term commitment to the Ubuntu open source Linux projects funding ?

Thanks for your opinions.

jespdj
June 17th, 2008, 02:03 PM
It's not going to happen. Do you know what kind of company Canonical (http://www.canonical.com/aboutus) is? Canonical was started to support Ubuntu. Ubuntu is the core thing that the whole company is about. The idea is as strange as that your local supermarket would suddenly decide to stop selling food. So it's a meaningless discussion.

And if someday Ubuntu would cease to exist for whatever reason, then we'll just start using another Linux distribution, on which all the software that you can run on Ubuntu will run just as well.

kpkeerthi
June 17th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Oh.. you mean when ubuntu cease to exist?
I would not worry/care. There are many distros out there.

ladr0n
June 17th, 2008, 02:13 PM
...what in your opinion, would happen if say tomorrow, Canonical (their financial investment in this project) got tired on playing and decided to take their basketball home ?

In my opinion, I would use the other half of my dual boot (Arch, currently).

Kernel Sanders
June 17th, 2008, 02:19 PM
If Canonical goes so does Ubuntu. Doesn't matter though. The latest code will still be there, so anyone can build on it and release it under another name. That's the beauty of open source!

wpshooter
June 17th, 2008, 02:21 PM
It's not going to happen. Do you know what kind of company Canonical (http://www.canonical.com/aboutus) is? Canonical was started to support Ubuntu. Ubuntu is the core thing that the whole company is about. The idea is as strange as that your local supermarket would suddenly decide to stop selling food. So it's a meaningless discussion.

And if someday Ubuntu would cease to exist for whatever reason, then we'll just start using another Linux distribution, on which all the software that you can run on Ubuntu will run just as well.

It may have been started to support Ubuntu but if you think that they are in this for JUST the pride of developing an O/S then you do not know very much about the BUSINESS (read that as MONEY/profit) world !!!

I have my serious doubts that the prime contributors/owners of Canonical consider this strictly like a chartiable foundation but a way to ultimately make a profit from the business side technical support revenue of the Ubuntu O/S.

Businesses that have been established for decades upon decades change their dedication to profit centers constantly (mightless one that was only established 4 years ago) to maximize their return on their investments.

Thanks.

samjh
June 17th, 2008, 02:24 PM
If Canonical folds, Ubuntu will probably end up: Merged with Debian; or Become a smaller-scale derivative of Debian Unstable; or Disappear

wpshooter
June 17th, 2008, 02:25 PM
If Canonical goes so does Ubuntu. Doesn't matter though. The latest code will still be there, so anyone can build on it and release it under another name. That's the beauty of open source!

That's great. But do you think this can be done on the level that it is now, without a great deal of financial support similar to being provided by Canonical ?

frup
June 17th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Does it matter? It would take some serious changes for this to happen.

Is there not an Ubuntu Foundation with $10 million in reserves just in case something did happen to canonical?

samjh
June 17th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Is there not an Ubuntu Foundation with $10 million in reserves just in case something did happen to canonical?

Yup. Sure is. :)

wpshooter
June 17th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Does it matter? It would take some serious changes for this to happen.

Did you mean 10 billion ? I don't think 10 million would carry this project or any other very long !!!

argail1980
June 17th, 2008, 03:14 PM
on the other hand, they do make money from selling the merchandise and from professional support for business clients? And I bet they write black numbers.

frup
June 17th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Did you mean 10 billion ? I don't think 10 million would carry this project or any other very long !!!

Sure things would need to be scaled back, such as the free CD's and number of servers provided directly etc. but it wouldn't stop the availability.

Think:

Cheap developers from Latin America or Asia, possibly a full time wage of $10,000 US pa (I don't actually know). You could fund 100 of them for 10 years. That's more employees than canonical has now I think.

As for the other services. Well lets half that 10 years, I'm sure something else could be arranged in 5 years!

Another company based around support could be started, users could donate, smart investments made by a holdings company etc... It's not that dire. Basically Ubuntu could potentially run without Canonical's support longer than it has already been around IMO.

Think about Debian (Which I'm sure you know Ubuntu is based on), how has that survived all this time? If Debian is around, Ubuntu can be around.

Terrycymru
June 17th, 2008, 03:29 PM
So, to broaden the hypothetical discussion, if you have tried various alternatives what Linux distribution would you use if Uubuntu was no longer available?

Mr. Picklesworth
June 17th, 2008, 03:29 PM
I think Launchpad would be a big loss, but other than that I would probably transition to Debian or Fedora rather happily. Then again, I am sure if Canonical decided to disappear they would hand over Launchpad; the folks working there are hired straight from the open source world, so understand the ideals.

frup
June 17th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I'd switch to Debian probably. I suppose an option such as Mint would not exist any more.

If I had to go RPM based I think I would choose Mandriva, all though mandrake 10 was my last experience with that line.

I haven't actually tried OpenSuse yet, MS patents being a good reason, but I might consider it.

Fedora is ok, I'd have to give up on wireless on at least one computer though, I tried ndis-wrapper but couldn't install it. I felt so useless.

I would definitely stick with Linux.

I could stick with 8.04 potentially for 1.5 years I suppose. Although it depends on the changes I get to observe, I'd probably get jealous of other distros... but I'd be happy using 7.04 still IF I HAD TO, I'd probably be fine on 6.10 too. I know friends and family that use Ubuntu who wouldn't be so happy though eg, new ipods, new hardware, dependence on new features.

MaximB
June 17th, 2008, 03:44 PM
If some miracle or god's power will crash all ubuntu devs around the globe (and remember it's not just canonical dev's , there are MANY contributors of Ubuntu specific code (I have a friend who customizes the kernel for Ubuntu)), anyways if ALL those people die in single second... well I think I'll turn to Ubuntu's father then - I'll use Debian ;) or some other distro .... there are MANY distros out there.

Don't make Windows from Ubuntu.
It's not the only option out there.
It is a very good option for most desktop users but there are many other good options as well.
I use Ubuntu at my home and like it, at work I use Redhat.
Redhat isn't a very good distro for DESKTOPS but as I've said - there are many ditros to choose from in cease you want to try something new or your favorite distro discontinues somehow.

quinnten83
June 17th, 2008, 04:29 PM
on the other hand, they do make money from selling the merchandise and from professional support for business clients? And I bet they write black numbers.

I hear they don't actually. hence the drive to improve the product.
All in all, though Mark Shuttleworth is also a geek at heart, and contrary to other millionaire businessmen tends to think about other things surrounding the business other than profit.

bonzodog
June 17th, 2008, 04:50 PM
For a Start, the initial funding for the Ubuntu Foundation (a charity), from Canonical (a for-profit company) is 10 million Sterling. This should actually run it for close to 10 years, by which point, fingers crossed, the Ubuntu Foundation should be self-financing.

Add to which, both companies do not pay any taxes, as they are technically based on the Isle of Man, which is a well known "Tax Haven".

Also, Mark is a Debian Developer, so he would always ensure that Ubuntu would not sink -- its his pet project, and something which fulfills a personal ambition. With Open Source, you have to stop thinking about it from a financial point of view, as its not about the money, its about the ideals and morals.

Any money made is simply a bonus.

Vadi
June 17th, 2008, 05:55 PM
If Canonical folds, Ubuntu will probably end up: Merged with Debian; or Become a smaller-scale derivative of Debian Unstable; or Disappear

qft

Canonical puts enourmous resources into ubuntu and ubuntu-related stuff. if they go away, no community effort will keep ubuntu on the same momentum

wpshooter
June 17th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Also, Mark is a Debian Developer, so he would always ensure that Ubuntu would not sink -- its his pet project, and something which fulfills a personal ambition. With Open Source, you have to stop thinking about it from a financial point of view, as its not about the money, its about the ideals and morals.

Any money made is simply a bonus.

I hope you are correct. But let me say that MOST people like Mark did not get to the billionare status that they are at by not being very MONEY oriented and though most of them are charitable, there is usually a PROFIT incentive in being so. If you do not believe this, then go to some of the colleges and universities in the world and hear for yourself some of the profit motivating philosophies and schemes that they pound into these people.