PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Starting ubuntu - drivers available?

Nightglade
June 17th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Hi there.(Sorry if this is in the wrong forum) I want to change from Windows to Ubuntu to escape the barrage of M$ BS which I'm fed up of. But what's holding me back is driver and software compatibility.

I used Ubuntu previously for a short while with my old Realtek AC'97 sound card and it worked fine - but my new [older] soundcard (new pc, onboard coard) is a CMI9739a. I was just wandering if there is a driver available for this?

My PC stats are:

GFX: Nvidia GeForce 7300GT
Audio: C-media CMI 9739a
Intel p4 2.8GHz

Software I'm hoping to use is: Photoshop CS3, PDF Creator, OpenOffice, and Limewire + BitComet.

In you're experienced opinions, will I be able to move over to Ubuntu and find the appropriate drivers, and use the afforementioned software? Thankyou

ilrudie
June 17th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Photoshop may run in wine. The GIMP is a very good alternative and its free and in the repositories. I don't know what PDF Creator is but its probably the same answer as photoshop (maybe in wine, probably a good replacement. OpenOffice.org is the default office suite in Ubuntu. Not sure about Limewire either but if BitComet is a bit torrent program there are plenty of good torrent programs to choose from. Transmission is the default under Hardy. Not sure about your audio card but a good way to find out would be to search the forums. If no one is complaining about it not working its either really obscure or should work fine. P4 is of course no problem and nvidia cards generally have decent support under Linux. To enable support use the restricted drivers manager.

Hope that helps.

Nightglade
June 17th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Thanks, I did a search of the forum for my card and found an individual who got it working, so I assume it does work... the very worst is I go back to windows for a couple of days until I can get new soundcard or something.

Dale61
June 17th, 2008, 05:35 PM
OpenOffice has a pdf creator included as part of the program.

Once you have finished your document, just click on the 'Export Directly as PDF' button, and you're done.

meindian523
June 17th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Frostwire works well and it connects to the same n/w as Limewire.I couldn't get Limewire working in Feisty and haven't tried in Hardy.