PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Automatic login with SLIM?

IamAcoconut
June 17th, 2008, 12:47 PM
How to make Slim (Simple Login Manager) automatically log a specified user at startup? To show nothing on boot, just log in, like GDM can do.
I spent some time searching this forum for answer, to no avail.
I usually run Openbox-Gnome, or simply Openbox, but it doesn't make a difference to Slim, it shouldn't, I figure.

LeSid
June 17th, 2008, 11:41 PM
After installing slim with apt-get, just run

sudo dpkg-reconfigure slim

Slim kicks off flixbox on my system without the need of reconfiguring slim.conf :-)

IamAcoconut
June 19th, 2008, 10:54 AM
What I want to accomplish is to see no login screen at boot, no sign of any login/display manager, just have my user logged in automatically without being asked for a password. That's what I had with GDM, but it was such a freaking waste of time anyway just waiting for GDM to finish it's job (Gutsy's issue), that I couldn't stand [the beige screen!] and got rid of it.

After installing slim with apt-get, just run

sudo dpkg-reconfigure slim
And what does that change? I already have Slim as a default DM. I changed Slim.conf, so that my username gets loaded automatically, I don't have to type it, but that's all.

Is what I try to accomplish impossible with Slim? What lightweight DM could serve that purpose than?

eriqjaffe
June 19th, 2008, 03:53 PM
If you want to auto-login with no trace of a login manager, why have a login manager at all?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=727947

Take a look at the third post in that thread, it may give you some ideas.