PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] changing the interface language in KDE4

chikko
June 17th, 2008, 12:46 PM
hey,

i'm using kubuntu hardy with KDE4 and i recently downloaded a translation package from the official repository. after the installation, firefox 3.0, openoffice and some other applications switched their language from english to the language package i installed - but the KDE4 interface was not modified (e.g the "kicker" menu, sub menus, popups, etc).
i tried adding a new language over the systemsettings but the buttons there seem to be useless (there are no languages in the ragional-settings list at all). i also tried launching the systemsettings when root - still no other languages..

has anyone succeeded changing the default KDE4 language?
thanks! :)

justineamelie
July 28th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Hi! This is my first post on this forum, and I'm having essentially the same problem as you... so I guess this is a bump.

The button to add a language (french in my case) in the KDE4 regional/language settings tab is useless, even as root. For example, if I open the settings by doing "sudo /usr/lib/kde4/bin/systemsettings", and then try adding a language, still nothing.

KDE3.5 is absolutely fine and that's still what I'm using until I get KDE4 working right.

Any ideas? Is KDE4 just not completely "there" yet? This isn't the only problem I've had with it...

~Justine

Arathorn
July 29th, 2008, 10:00 AM
What version of KDE 4 are you using? I'm having no trouble with this on KDE 4,1

Jacek.Mendinka
August 5th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Hello there,

it seems that i have a similar problem with Kubuntu 8.04 and KDE4.1.
In my KDE4.1, in the systemsettings, personal, regional & language. When I open Country/Regional & Language, click Add Language, there is only US English.

Actually, I've just installed KDE4.1 and it may be that I still need to install some additional package. Any ideas on which additional package should I install?

Thank you for your attention!

Greetings!

anirudh.iitm
August 25th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Hi,

You need to install the kde-l10n-fr package to change language to french in systemsettings.

Hope this helps!