PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Must boot to CD first before getting to grub on the HDD

mk4umha
June 17th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Hi,

i have a weird problem. If I want to boot, i must use the Ubuntu install cd then select boot to HDD. Once that happens I can select the OS's to boot from from the grub menu on the HDD

If I try to boot directly to the HDD, I get a grub 22 error. Have you guys seen this problem before? How do i fix this?

Partyboi2
June 17th, 2008, 05:26 AM
maybe this (http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm#22) might help

powerpleb
June 17th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Sounds to me like you need to set Ubuntu's drive to have a boot flag. Do this in Gparted (partition editor in the Administration menu)
Right click on root (/) partition, select Manage Flags and check the boot option.

mk4umha
June 18th, 2008, 04:24 AM
I have an AMD board with the Nforce5 chipset. I have 2 drives that I setup as raid in the BIOS. On cold starts, I must boot to the CD to get to Grub. Once I get into Ubuntu and reboot, the raid flashs red telling me it cant see the drives. Once that happens, it will boot to the haarddrive without needing the CD.

What do you think would cause it to boot into grub without a CD when the raid doesnt recognize the drives?