PDA

View Full Version : Does MS Office crash on MS Employees?

Tundro Walker
June 17th, 2008, 01:58 AM
I get done working on a large Excel file at work, and the thing locks up while saving. The error message was very helpful too ... "we're sorry, but the program has died. would you like to submit an error report?"

No. I'd like you to reimburse me for the time & money my company just wasted on this program eating a 4 hour project.

We're not talking MS Office 97 ... we're talking MS Office 2003 / XP, installed on Win XP. Post 21st century software, and it locks up.

So, it got me wondering. Do you think folks who work at Microsoft, who you know HAVE to use MS Office to do their work ... do you think they have these problems? Does Microsoft eat it's own proverbial dog food? And, do they choke on it sometimes like the rest of us?

Just curious.

Aearenda
June 17th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Yes.

Depressed Man
June 17th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Yup. (one of my friends is interning at Microsoft this summer, she's working on the Excel team. Though I forget what she's doing again [I think it was bug fixing?]).

barbedsaber
June 17th, 2008, 02:30 AM
I bet they use abiword:)

tuebinger
June 17th, 2008, 02:34 AM
CTRL+S, CTRL+S, CTRL+S, CTRL+S... That is my mantra when working on ANYTHING in Office, or any other program for that matter...

init1
June 17th, 2008, 04:14 AM
I know what you mean. I had two incidents where MS Office would crash whenever a file was opened. The system had to be reimaged both times.

Presto123
June 17th, 2008, 04:44 AM
I'm sure they have. I wonder how many angry employees took a Linux disk to the systems and changed IE to Firefox.

Icehuck
June 17th, 2008, 04:59 AM
I get done working on a large Excel file at work, and the thing locks up while saving. The error message was very helpful too ... "we're sorry, but the program has died. would you like to submit an error report?"

No. I'd like you to reimburse me for the time & money my company just wasted on this program eating a 4 hour project.

We're not talking MS Office 97 ... we're talking MS Office 2003 / XP, installed on Win XP. Post 21st century software, and it locks up.

So, it got me wondering. Do you think folks who work at Microsoft, who you know HAVE to use MS Office to do their work ... do you think they have these problems? Does Microsoft eat it's own proverbial dog food? And, do they choke on it sometimes like the rest of us?

Just curious.

Yeah, it does get unstable with big excel sheets. Why did you turn off auto-recovery? You could have at least gotten 90% of your work back.

rockstarrem
June 17th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Just remember to save next time obviously, I save pretty much every minute. I feel really bad though, that sucks.

Spike-X
June 17th, 2008, 11:42 AM
So you worked on a project for four hours, and didn't hit Save until you'd finished?

No sympathy, sorry.

billgoldberg
June 17th, 2008, 01:41 PM
So you worked on a project for four hours, and didn't hit Save until you'd finished?

No sympathy, sorry.

That was what I was thinking.

Computer class 101:

If you are working on a big project, save your work every 15/30 min.

I followed this rule since I first started using computer, and it has saved me numerous times (even in Ubuntu).

fatality_uk
June 17th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Or at least enable the AutoSave function. It's there for a reason ;)

Kernel Sanders
June 17th, 2008, 02:21 PM
What everyone said. It's almost negligent to work on a piece of work without saving every 15 mins or so, WHATEVER system that you're using.

rudihawk
June 17th, 2008, 02:30 PM

No sympathy, sorry.

+1

Its common sense to save every 10-15minutes, - maybe even more regularly if you feel inclined to do so...