PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] LiveCD not working properly

emu42
June 17th, 2008, 01:28 AM
I burned the ISO image of the Ubuntu LiveCD onto both a DVD and 80-minute CD, and none of them seem to work on my computer. I used the software recommended by the website to burn onto them. It just loads Windows XP as usual when inserted into the computer. I can see that it burned correctly on both, it just doesn't work for some reason. Am I doing anything wrong?

iaculallad
June 17th, 2008, 01:35 AM
I burned the ISO image of the Ubuntu LiveCD onto both a DVD and 80-minute CD, and none of them seem to work on my computer. I used the software recommended by the website to burn onto them. It just loads Windows XP as usual when inserted into the computer. I can see that it burned correctly on both, it just doesn't work for some reason. Am I doing anything wrong?

Had you check the ISO's MD5 hash prior to burning? Compare the result with the hash that comes on the website where you downloaded your ISO and try to burn it using lower speed (4x).

damis648
June 17th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Are you very sure your BIOS are set to boot from the CD drive first? Enter your BIOS settings and make sure it is.

avtolle
June 17th, 2008, 01:55 AM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM to check the md5sum.

emu42
June 17th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Thanks for the link. The MD5 hashes are different. Should I keep downloading the image until the MD5 hashes are the same?

damis648
June 17th, 2008, 03:19 AM
Yes. Re-download the image and see if it has the same hash now.

emu42
June 17th, 2008, 04:05 AM
It's downloading now, but could I burn it to a DVD, instead of a CD? I would have to go out and buy more blank CDs, but I have plenty of blank DVDs. Should that still work?

damis648
June 17th, 2008, 06:48 PM
It's downloading now, but could I burn it to a DVD, instead of a CD? I would have to go out and buy more blank CDs, but I have plenty of blank DVDs. Should that still work?

Sure. That would be perfectly fine.

avtolle
June 17th, 2008, 06:53 PM
If you end up with different hashes again, try to d/l from a different mirror or try a torrent download. Again, check the hashes against each other.