PDA

View Full Version : songbird, is cool, but confusing

ELD
June 17th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Well i have started using SongBird for all my browsing and music playing needs and i must say it works really, really well i am dead impressed how easy it is.

Although the defualt homepage search engine confused me, i searched an artist, click a song, downloaded, all for free its even on my harddrive, how is that not illegal?

damphoud
June 17th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Just installed as well. Depends which country you are in. Seems like Songbird provides both a p2p connectivity and an easy way to buy music online as well. I don't think the p2p is too strong though. not many results come up, and downloads are fairly slow.

Edit: maybe not p2p, its source is from Skreemr?

ELD
June 17th, 2008, 01:26 AM
I searched via Skreemr, it came up with results, and i downloaded from its results, for example search "from first to last" and you get the bottom box show up for a list of music, i simply clicked download on a track called "emily" and i've now got it.

Surely that is illegal?

tdrusk
June 17th, 2008, 01:38 AM
They aren't breaking the law. Songbird just searches the internet. If that is illegal so is Google. Roughly, the only people breaking the law are the people hosting the file. Everyone else can say they didn't know. I say roughly, because it is illegal to download the music from some places that don't have a license for it.

ELD
June 17th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I didn't mean it by songbird breaking the law, i mean the people hosting it.

Ub1476
June 17th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Isn't songbird a bit recourse heavy?

ELD
June 17th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Well i've tested under windows and testing on ubuntu hardy at the moment, works great, in 0.6 they cut down the resource useage a lot :)

billgoldberg
June 17th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I don't need an Iturnes clone, I'm more than happy with Bmpx.

And if I want to download songs -> frostwire and nicotine +.