PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to Dapper!

XDevHald
October 28th, 2005, 05:09 AM
Right now I am upgrading and setting up the packages and etc, so, wish me luck on this and hope it runs well...who else has done this?

wellery
October 28th, 2005, 05:15 AM
-

Sirin
October 28th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Right now I am upgrading and setting up the packages and etc, so, wish me luck on this and hope it runs well...who else has done this? No one. That's impossible. Breezy Badger was released about two weeks ago. How could you attempt to upgrade to Dapper Drake when it's months from even it's first beta release? It's just like getting Mac OS 10.5 Leopard at this very second (Due to be released from late 2006 to early 2007, around Vista's final Release Date). :confused:

23meg
October 28th, 2005, 07:03 AM
It's quite possible, and Steve is having a good time, probably. Since not much is uploaded to Dapper at the moment, it means the difference from Breezy will be minimal. The real unstability would start be observed a few weeks ahead from now, when goals will have been set and big changes will start to occur.

And the analogy to Leopard just doesn't work; proprietary operating systems are developed in a closed manner and in release time they're quite complete, whereas when an open source OS development branch is opened, new work just starts pouring in from everyone and it's far from being complete, but since it's based on the stable foundation of the former version, it's more or less stable.

In other words, the real chaos probably hasn't yet begun.

benplaut
October 28th, 2005, 07:40 AM
-

err...

anyway, i think i'll upgrade at colony 3, like i did with breezy... by that time, most of the chaos was over, and bugfixing was well under way :)

Ampersand
October 28th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Nothings broken on Dapper for me yet (although there seem to be a few uninstallable packages).

DoeRayMe
October 28th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Im on Dapper now aswell, Seems fine for me aswell

Hopefully Dapper fixes the cdrom problem Breezy gave me

23meg
October 28th, 2005, 02:40 PM
I'll follow as soon as I can spare some disk space.

Question: would it be a good idea to test Dapper on a virtual machine? I have little experience with VMware/QEMU and I'm worried that there might be some VM-specific issues; I wouldn't like to mistakenly report those as bugs since it would be misleading and slow down the development progress.

Ride Jib
October 28th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Right now I am upgrading and setting up the packages and etc, so, wish me luck on this and hope it runs well...who else has done this?

Sorry to go off-topic, but I must say... looking at the picture in your signature, your tower is very resemblant of a PS2. Are you runing one of those micro-atx boards or something?

</joke>

XDevHald
October 29th, 2005, 02:16 AM
Would be pretty cool to have it as a tower, but my tower is in the door on the bottom left :)

EDIT: Upgrade to Dapper from Breezy was perfect with no errors, applications run 10x faster/smoother and I have to say, I am very impressed for a test release :D