PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu newspaper article

superbenny
June 16th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Hey everyone. I asked for quotes a while ago, and even though I didn't use any, simply because of a policy with the newspaper about "no anonymous contributers" (usernames count as anonymity), I have decided to publish my article on here, before it hits the presses:

Public Library Upgrades to Free, Open-Source

(this is a pull-quote...the big quote thing in big font that gets put somewhere in the article, like a picture, only text)
Ubuntu is a free, powerful alternative to Windows XP, Vista or Mac OSX.

About one year ago, the Public Library acquired a new and different kind of computer. It uses the same hardware as and even looks similar to a regular Windows PC, but runs and looks different. That's because it uses a different Operating System (OS).
Just like some computers run Windows XP or Vista, and some run Mac OSX, this computer runs an OS called Linux. More specifically, Ubuntu Linux.
Ubuntu is just one of the many Distributions, or “Distros” of Linux, and it is one of the most popular. It is used by thousands of people all over the world.
One of the major pluses of a Linux system is that it is free. In the Linux community, they take this term to mean two different things:
Free as in Speech: People are allowed to edit and change everything about the way it runs. No need for technicians or any special help – everything you could ever dream of doing with a computer is possible. Because the code is out there, anyone can write programs for it, so theres an application to do anything. Only approved fixes or modifications actually get added to the public version that gets distributed, but anyone is free to edit their own installation.
Free as in Beer: It doesn't cost a penny!
Ubuntu website, ubuntu.com has this to say on it's own product:
“Ubuntu is a community developed operating system that is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers...Ubuntu contains all the applications you'll ever need, from word processing [to] email applications...”
Any applications that aren't included by default can be easily added through an “Add/Remove” program.
The learning curve for Linux systems is pretty gentle, and the fact that there is one at all is only because we, as a generation, grew up on systems other than Linux.
Another advantage to Linux is that because of the low number of people who use it, and the security of the system, there are literally no viruses “out in the wild” that pose a threat to users, and therefore requires very little maintenance.
The downsides of the new OS on the library computer is that, because it is a different system, a knowledgeable person is required to maintain the computer, when maintenance is required.
The Linux/Ubuntu community is second to none. They are always there to help you in the Forums or online in chat rooms. They usually provide better help than customer support would, and will work with you to help you get used to Ubuntu.
For more information on Linux or Ubuntu or to try it out for yourself, check out http://www.ubuntu.com

(this is in italics at the very end)
Ubuntu is an African word meaning 'Humanity to others', or 'I am what I am because of who we all are'. The Ubuntu distribution brings the spirit of Ubuntu to the software world.

Lemme know what you think...and if theres anything that can be improved...I took out some things that might have to do with the school or town, so some of it may read weird...mostly the bits where it says public library.

Thanks!
-superbenny

wolfen69
June 16th, 2008, 10:12 PM
It is used by thousands of people all over the world. it should say millions. :)

superbenny
June 16th, 2008, 10:13 PM
it should say millions. :)
gochya thanks for that

Fedz
June 16th, 2008, 10:27 PM
You put the url ubuntu.com when you write Ubuntu, maybe put the url of ubuntuforums.org when you mention the forums ;-)

Is the above release paragraphed?

superbenny
June 16th, 2008, 10:39 PM
You put the url ubuntu.com when you write Ubuntu, maybe put the url of ubuntuforums.org when you mention the forums ;-)

Is the above release paragraphed?
yes it is paragraphed in the final version.
I'll put the link in for the forums...good thinking.

NEUR0M4NCER
June 16th, 2008, 10:53 PM
The downsides of the new OS on the library computer is that, because it is a different system, a knowledgeable person is required to maintain the computer, when maintenance is required.

I think perhaps it might be fair to point out that pretty much every 'system' requires a knowledgeable person to maintain it; I used to consider myself a fairly advanced XP user, before I displaced all of that with Linux CLI commands, but even at the height of my 'XP-ness', I would never have been able to administer a MS network - it takes learning, teaching and experience to do that - none of which a regular user has (for any OS, let-alone Windows/MS).