PDA

View Full Version : 360desktop - Because the Revolution is here - Desktop 2.0 *HAHAHAHAHA!!!*

NEUR0M4NCER
June 16th, 2008, 09:35 PM
360desktop (http://www.360desktop.com/) (that's how it's written!) - Absolutely laughable!!
(if nothing else, it needs to have a snappy acronym like 360d, 360D or Win360...)

Watch the video - the poor guy knows he's got a p.o.s. compared to Compiz, and seems to be trying to sell it on the strength of being able to integrate ADVERTS in to the desktop!!! I laughed and laughed and laughed. First, I saw the animated ads on the side of a van in the desktop background - that got me worried.

I was looking really hard to find other more insidious guff, but I needn't have done; the guy later explains:

"In terms of other unique ways to monetise, we're gonna get a little bit of help because, ah, we realise it's a pretty big job - if we click to activate, Superman is kind enough to come out and deliver a standard IAB ad..." - he continues, but I missed the rest while I was trying to stop Red Bull squirting outta my nose.

What on earth were they thinking?? I reckon it went down like this:

Exec 1: Hey - you know what my wife and daughter want on their PCs?

Exec 2: No dude - what?

Exec 1: Adverts man - ADVERTS!

Exec 2: Really? You sure man, 'cause I think they want Facebook, Twitter and YouTube...

Exec 1: Yep, i'm sure. They want to be able to click on Superman and have an unrelated advert right there for them to buy things off.

Exec 2: ...

Exec 1: Where do you wanna go with all the money we'll make? Ibiza? Goa?

Exec 2: ... dude. You've changed.

This is what happens when 'Start-ups' get a sniff of a new tech idea: SELL STUFF THROUGH IT!! If my blog wasn't such an empty mess, i'd be talking about this one for days... and I fully expect MS to welcome this 'Web 2.0 Innovation' with open arms (although with Mr Gates - for all intents and purposes - retiring this year, maybe things will change).

SomeGuyDude
June 16th, 2008, 09:38 PM
The ads are dumb, but it's definitely NOT a Compiz ripoff. Unless there's a plugin to do this that I'm unaware of.

NEUR0M4NCER
June 16th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Rant over - It seems like a poor reaction/implementation to/of Desktop Sphere plugin. I just had to get it all out of my system... :D

I don't hate Windows as much as some others here (and find that when people refer to it as 'WinBlows' or 'M$' I stop paying attention like I did at school when people called me 'Four-Eyes'...

But when it's deemed 'socially okay' (i.e. Imagine how long that site would stay up for if it was doing this for Linux Desktop) to make these kinds of modifications to the XP Desktop, things are bad for MS.

blazercist
June 16th, 2008, 09:47 PM
this has to be the stupidest thing I've ever seen in my life, and amount to integrating webpages/content in the desktop which btw is already possible under windows and linux. what a waste of cpu cycles and ram.

DeadSuperHero
June 16th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Wow, I get to put more advertising plugs on my desktop than a NASCAR racer!

Oh, darn. I run Ubuntu.

Looks like I'll just run it in Wine...

ivze
June 16th, 2008, 10:05 PM
...desktop as a user generated, photo-paranoic space and delivers...
I could not read this another way!

klange
June 16th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Guess I'll have to watch this when I get home... I'll edit this post with my reaction ;)

RiceMonster
June 16th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Why would I want to make it look like video playback is part of my wallpaper? That's so stupid. The whole idea of having a "360 desktop" is sort of neat, but it more or less feels like a poor implementation of work spaces.

intense.ego
June 16th, 2008, 10:24 PM
It seemed to me like it would be completely full of ads, like you guys said, but the FAQ seems to say otherwise (http://www.360desktop.com/360faq.php). Besideds the advertisements, it does not have nearly the same function and usefulness multiple desktops (like in Compiz) provide, nor does it have the looks. It would also probably extremely resource-intensive; imagine running Vista with one of these with an embedded video and widgets.

zmjjmz
June 16th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Compiz ripoff!?
It's more like a vtwm ripoff!
Anyways, dupe.

damis648
June 16th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I don't even see the 360 in it... just looks like a really long, and advertisment infested wallpaper. What will they rip off and ruin next ;-)??

NEUR0M4NCER
June 16th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Yup. Slow, no up/down axis and vague implementation (auto install on OEMs? Nah) kill this dirty product dead dead dead. it could've been a nice idea, if it was simply to expand the XP/Vista Desktop - hell, even charge for it (Windows users seem to love paying for stuff...) - but as an advertising medium it's simply stupid to assume that people want...

Well... People do want adverts. FACT. Problem is getting the ads to them that they WANT, and in a COMPLETELY UNOBTRUSIVE way - by this I mean that there should be no system overheads, no f*****g Superman delivering banners, none of that s**t.

I re-iterate: What were they thinking??

damis648
June 16th, 2008, 10:38 PM
I re-iterate: What were they thinking??

+1 to the point of this thread ;-)

Superkoop
June 16th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I don't think it looks that bad, sure there are ads on the background they show there, but on their faq it says that users can make backgrounds and can be sans-ads. The embedable thing looks intersting, but I can't really think of any good uses for it. But, the workspace switcher thing looks very slow, since he didn't mention anything about a hotkey to move the background. Having to click twice to move the background, would suck.
He said it takes minimal system resources, but I'm curious what that is. Since the video was on XP, it kind of makes me feel like it's not too lite on Vista, which is now what you have to really use as the latest test subject.

I guess for Windows users, it's not that bad. =)

cardinals_fan
June 16th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I really despise widgets. They're acceptable when used passively (like glossy conkys), but actually trying to input anything into a widget is a pain. Little Google widgets and Youtube widgets are among the more moronic things that one could use on one's computer.

SomeGuyDude
June 16th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Why would I want to make it look like video playback is part of my wallpaper? That's so stupid. The whole idea of having a "360 desktop" is sort of neat, but it more or less feels like a poor implementation of work spaces.

Except it's not segregated. You can just kinda "scroll" along and get to other stuff. Nothing's on its own space and you can, from what I gathered, adjust the size of it a lot better.

Honestly, aside from the stupid "integrated ads" part, it seems like a neat idea.

damis648
June 16th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I really despise widgets. They're acceptable when used passively (like glossy conkys), but actually trying to input anything into a widget is a pain. Little Google widgets and Youtube widgets are among the more moronic things that one could use on one's computer.

I agree on the input point. The only widgets I have are little circular system monitors (cpu usage, ram, etc) and one to tell what music is playing.

NEUR0M4NCER
June 16th, 2008, 11:13 PM
I agree that it looks interesting - my problem is with implementation.

As a technology, how cool would it be to have an XP/Vista equivalent of 'Inside Desktop Cube' (or as they say: a '360desktop')? Then adorn the Desktop with widgets grouped into areas - one desktop sized area with news/rss - another with system stats (CPU temp and the like), another with '2.0' apps like Facebook updates, ebay status, etc.

If they let you do all this for free, i'll be very surprised. Given the apparent ease with which they can insert ads (obviously designed as a major selling point for someone other than the end user), I imagine it will come in ad supported free and sans-ad for $$$. All we need to do is hunt down the forums where the merits of this are being discussed, and suggest they look at Compiz. Viola : More users.

damis648
June 16th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I just signed up for the beta... stay tuned i will write a quick review.

SomeGuyDude
June 16th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I agree that it looks interesting - my problem is with implementation.

As a technology, how cool would it be to have an XP/Vista equivalent of 'Inside Desktop Cube' (or as they say: a '360desktop')? Then adorn the Desktop with widgets grouped into areas - one desktop sized area with news/rss - another with system stats (CPU temp and the like), another with '2.0' apps like Facebook updates, ebay status, etc.

If they let you do all this for free, i'll be very surprised. Given the apparent ease with which they can insert ads (obviously designed as a major selling point for someone other than the end user), I imagine it will come in ad supported free and sans-ad for $$$. All we need to do is hunt down the forums where the merits of this are being discussed, and suggest they look at Compiz. Viola : More users.

THAT is the problem, yes.

Software devs for Windows seem to have this "if it was worth making, it's worth paying for" attitude. Any piece-a-crap software that's even mildly useful costs. It's like they think that if they don't charge for it somehow (via ads or, like iTunes, via merchandise), it means they're admitting it's not any good.

klange
June 16th, 2008, 11:48 PM
The reason we don't have a scrollable desktop like this in Compiz is that in order to properly implement it we would need input redirection (that or we move windows and !@#$ with fullscreen stuff - not things we should have to do). As soon as either our fake IR is ready or a real implementation is added to the X server, we'll have this (it's been requested many times).

Mr. Picklesworth
June 17th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Regarding "compiz ripoff" discussion: Besides which, Compiz is a window manager and nothing more. For example, "Brightside" is a package that implements smooth workspace switching on any nicely built window manager, including the ability to drag window between workspaces.

It's my opinion that a window manager, like a kernel, is out of scope as soon as people notice it.
(Thankfully, I don't believe Compiz really does much at its core; just lots of interesting plugins surround the project).

Back to the software. ...Wow, that's amazing. I thought Windows was slow normally; why would anyone want to slow it down more by having the typhoon of bloated advertising and useless software as soon as they log in by choice?! It runs like molasses even in their demo.

I love how the fancy picture at the top of their page also looks a hundred times sharper and more exciting than the real thing.

ice60
June 17th, 2008, 12:31 AM
they aren't planning to release it for linux, it says so here -
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/09/24/expand-your-desktop-space-with-360desktop-dls-interview/

DLS: Any plans for a Linux version?

EJ: At the moment we're focusing more on Windows and possibly Mac platforms. I think Linux is pretty well served with what Sun has done with desktop Java architecture. So we're probably going to hold off on a Linux version in the short term. It depends on demand.

steveneddy
June 17th, 2008, 01:07 AM
I've seen that before. It's old news now.