PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Clicking URLs launches Thurnderbird instead of Firefox

potatan
June 16th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Hi,

Problem with a friend's laptop - whenever she clicks a URL on the desktop, Thunderbird loads up instead of Firefox 2. This has only started happening recently.

The system is Hardy Heron with Firefox 3 uninstalled and replaced with version 2 (she didn't like the beta).

I have checked System/Prefs/Preferred Applications, and URLs are set to "Custom" with "firefox-2 %s" as the launch command.

I have also checked Firefox preferences and it is set as the default browser.

I have tried marking Firefox 2 for reinstallation.

But it still loads Thunderbird when I click a desktop link.

Any ideas?

I'm sure I've had this problem myself a long time ago, but can't remember what I did to fix it - and google searches seem to just bring back problems launching links from within Thunderbird emails, which is not the same problem at all.

Many thanks in advance.

p.s. I don't have access to the laptop here, but they only live round the corner from me.

Zorael
June 16th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Not ever having had this problem you're describing, the only thing I can think of is to make sure the xdg alternative is set to Firefox.

$ sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
Failing that, I'd try uninstalling Thunderbird. Perhaps removing it fixes whatever is pointing to it to point to Firefox instead. Then reinstall and hope the setting sticks.

potatan
June 17th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Thanks, I'll give your suggestions a try later.

If there first one doesn't work, is there a way of uninstalling/reinstalling Thunderbird without losing all the profile information, contacts, settings etc.?

Thanks