PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Everything works...

Rinnan
October 28th, 2005, 01:40 AM
I'm writing this out of desperation.

After several months of tweaking every little thing (first on Hoary, then on Breezy), I've run into a real brick wall. Everything works.

First, the easy stuff. I got the DVD to work, then all the other codecs, and other common tweaks and so on as covered in the Breezy help.

The install didn't go right on my G3 iBook. I had to fix the screen resolution, and then the sound volume (some obscure setting only reachable by alsamixer needed to be unmuted).

Then, the harder problem, G3 sleep and wake. My G3 would find it easy to sleep but very difficult or impossible to wake up, much like a man who lives in an apartment with a major gas leak.

Browsing on bugzilla, applying the patch, and building my own kernel and installing it fixed that. That was much harder.

Meanwhile, I took to installing Ubuntu on friends' machines. With one friend in particular, it has been a relief. After fixing her Windows virus problems EVERY WEEK for a month, I finally convinced her to try Ubuntu. There was a lot of twiddling involved, it took some time to get everything to work, this was on Hoary. Then I made the biggest mistake, I upgraded her to Breezy. Everything broke much worse and we had to reinstall Hoary. When I re-twiddled and now everything works. It works every day now, no more virii or other desperate phone calls. Silence.

Finally I attacked the biggest problem, 3D hardware accelleration on my Unichrome CLE266 chipset. That works now, had to build my own kernel and then the drivers, using a Gentoo script with some modification.

The G3 and Unchrome threads are out there, if you run into either of these same problems, just search for any threads by me.

Finally, I downloaded the newest amaroK, and my iPod can be updated easily from the same program I listen to music with.

Now, everything works. I use the computer for University, running OpenOffice and a couple of wine apps. One of my psychology classes require we use this proprietary "virtual rat" simluator.

I'm in real danger of getting school work done now. I find myself playing a lot of Oolite (in fully accellerated 3D) and listening to Creative Commons music.

What now???

:p

qalimas
October 28th, 2005, 01:44 AM
I have the same problem, I just can't find anymore excuses to not do homework since I found Ubuntu <<

Damn the developers, they need to understand we WANT to have hell, so we don't have to deal with real-life torubles! :P

Fourtunately, Wesnoth has saved me, and a few other addicting and time consuming games can do the same :D

Emerzen
October 28th, 2005, 01:48 AM
LOL, I've run into the same problem. I solved it successfully by deciding to try a BSD based distribution... If you really need to find a way out of doing work, go to www.distrowatch.com and try it (or any other distro) out on an empty partition. BSD is challenging though...

Kapre
October 28th, 2005, 01:56 AM
Doesn't it feel really awful? Getting all those things done with so little amount of time. I bet you'll have a great time (and enjoy every bit of it) if you'll gonna install WMe+Anti-Virus+Anti-Spyware+this+you've need to download this+you need to add this+......

Congratulations!!
K

dbott67
October 28th, 2005, 01:56 AM
You could always try installing the new "Millenium (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsme/default.asp)" package... that tends to cause a lot of issues. :)

-Dave

Kvark
October 28th, 2005, 02:04 AM
"What now?" Now you can acutally sit back and just use the computer. Thats the way it's meant to be. The purpose of a computer is to use it, not to fix it.

But if you really have to play with it even when you don't have to. Then you could search for ways to make yourself faster, for example bind common tasks to keyboard shortcuts, rearrange the panels and menues so you can reach your programs as fast as possible, make devilspie automatically arrange the windows for each program the way you want them so you never have to do that yourself, write bash scripts that automates other things or cuts a common 5 step task down to one step.

For example after changing all of ratpoison's keyboard shortcuts and writing some bash scripts that use ratmenu I can start any of my frequently used programs with 3 keystrokes, reach any open window or frameset (kinda the same as workspace) with 2 keystrokes (as long as there are less then 40 windows and 12 framesets open, otherwise it'll take me 4 keystrokes) and browse my filesystem with only the arrow keys.

tseliot
October 28th, 2005, 09:05 AM
LOL, I've run into the same problem. I solved it successfully by deciding to try a BSD based distribution... If you really need to find a way out of doing work, go to www.distrowatch.com and try it (or any other distro) out on an empty partition. BSD is challenging though...
Oh, well there's no need to try BSD if you want a challenge: try Gentoo. I did it yesterday and I had (and I have yet) to fix several things. Be ready to compile EVERYTHING.

jeremy
October 28th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Mine works too, I'm getting bored, hell, windows was so much more fun!

Rinnan
October 28th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Oh, well there's no need to try BSD if you want a challenge: try Gentoo. I did it yesterday and I had (and I have yet) to fix several things. Be ready to compile EVERYTHING.

Haha. Gentoo -- I did my Gentoo stint. Look, I'm running on an EPIA board. They are designed to be low-power -- as in electricity use, but, as it happens, they also have the other meaning of "low-power" too, if you catch my drift. These are the kinds of boards that are often used in home entertainment centers. You know, glorified DVD players. Have you ever tried to compile a complete OS with all apps on a DVD player? I didn't think so...

:)

23meg
October 28th, 2005, 03:03 PM
I'm feeling I'm about to run into this problem as well and am preparing myself.

Reb
October 28th, 2005, 05:22 PM
I really wish the Ubuntu developers would do something about this problem... it's going to damage Linux's image worldwide.

canadianwriterman
October 28th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Same prob. I tried installing Firefox 1.5 Beta the other night and screwed things up so bad that I had to reinstall Breezy from CD. Unfortunately, it took me only 15 minutes to customize my GRUB and fstab, get rid of ipv6, install the patch for mounting floppies, change the icons for Firefox and Thunderbird, set up e-mail and download the six extra programs that I like.

So, now what? Mmmm... surely installing Dapper will screw things up sweetly!

mstlyevil
October 28th, 2005, 05:34 PM
I'm getting bored with breezy. Everything works like it is supposed to. I guess I will install debian to correct that problem.:-k

william_nbg
October 28th, 2005, 05:37 PM
I ran across this thread by accident - because I was simply browsing around.

Yes, I have the same problem. I changed to Linux just 6 months ago, wiped the XP partition 3 months ago. But the first 6 months was spent learning the basics of Linux and getting everything to work/tweaked.

But I made an even bigger mistake, before Breezy final was released I went on Ebay and bought a sound card with the emk101 chip and a wlan card with a prism chip. Installed Breezy, nvidia drivers and a few personal tweaks and everything worked with absolute perfection in less than a day of putzing around - Now what the hell am I going to do. I'll have to work on my customers web pages (I'm a web designer) Aghhh!

Ride Jib
October 28th, 2005, 05:57 PM
I'm writing this out of desperation.

After several months of tweaking every little thing (first on Hoary, then on Breezy), I've run into a real brick wall. Everything works.

First, the easy stuff. I got the DVD to work, then all the other codecs, and other common tweaks and so on as covered in the Breezy help.

The install didn't go right on my G3 iBook. I had to fix the screen resolution, and then the sound volume (some obscure setting only reachable by alsamixer needed to be unmuted).

Then, the harder problem, G3 sleep and wake. My G3 would find it easy to sleep but very difficult or impossible to wake up, much like a man who lives in an apartment with a major gas leak.

Browsing on bugzilla, applying the patch, and building my own kernel and installing it fixed that. That was much harder.

Meanwhile, I took to installing Ubuntu on friends' machines. With one friend in particular, it has been a relief. After fixing her Windows virus problems EVERY WEEK for a month, I finally convinced her to try Ubuntu. There was a lot of twiddling involved, it took some time to get everything to work, this was on Hoary. Then I made the biggest mistake, I upgraded her to Breezy. Everything broke much worse and we had to reinstall Hoary. When I re-twiddled and now everything works. It works every day now, no more virii or other desperate phone calls. Silence.

Finally I attacked the biggest problem, 3D hardware accelleration on my Unichrome CLE266 chipset. That works now, had to build my own kernel and then the drivers, using a Gentoo script with some modification.

The G3 and Unchrome threads are out there, if you run into either of these same problems, just search for any threads by me.

Finally, I downloaded the newest amaroK, and my iPod can be updated easily from the same program I listen to music with.

Now, everything works. I use the computer for University, running OpenOffice and a couple of wine apps. One of my psychology classes require we use this proprietary "virtual rat" simluator.

I'm in real danger of getting school work done now. I find myself playing a lot of Oolite (in fully accellerated 3D) and listening to Creative Commons music.

What now???

:p

try upgrading to Breezy. I'm sure that will break everything again.

Suzan
October 28th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Same here. Everything works. Printer, Scanner, Cardreader, Midi, Skype, WLAN, 3-D... everything!

But there's still, one bug: Bug #1 (https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bug/1)

Let's do something against this critical bug! It's time!