PDA

View Full Version : appreciating my setup

AnLGP
June 16th, 2008, 04:19 AM
I was dog sitting over the weekend and I have to say I was highly tempted to mess with a relatives computer. They were running windows (not that its a problem for me in and of itself) but I just can't stand it being so bloated. I'm used to turning all the eye candy off now on whatever system I'm running and it drove me nuts for it to be so slow. I didn't want to mess with it because it wasn't mine.

I just wanted to say that I'm glad I do most of my computing on this setup (debian minimal w/a WM not a DE). :popcorn: And that I didn't fully appreciate exactly how quick this is until I was on that. :)

init1
June 16th, 2008, 04:37 AM
I was dog sitting over the weekend and I have to say I was highly tempted to mess with a relatives computer. They were running windows (not that its a problem for me in and of itself) but I just can't stand it being so bloated. I'm used to turning all the eye candy off now on whatever system I'm running and it drove me nuts for it to be so slow. I didn't want to mess with it because it wasn't mine.

I just wanted to say that I'm glad I do most of my computing on this setup (debian minimal w/a WM not a DE). :popcorn: And that I didn't fully appreciate exactly how quick this is until I was on that. :)
Yeah, I know what that's like. Every thing seems slow compared to Debian Etch with Fluxbox :D

bufsabre666
June 16th, 2008, 04:43 AM
i like my gnome over windows everyday, im not much for wm's when on my set up i dont notice any speed boost over DE's

jbaerbock
June 16th, 2008, 04:54 AM
I'm using KDE which seems snapier than most setups, would love fluxbox, xfce, iceWM etc... but they just complicate life because of how simplified they are. Speed is awesome but I ain't sacrificing usability for it :D

cardinals_fan
June 16th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Everything seems slow compared to Slackware with Xmonad.

jbaerbock
June 16th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Wish I could stand Slack's lack of sophistication :D. Though Sidux and others were rather nice :P

RiceMonster
June 16th, 2008, 06:14 AM
I know what you mean. Once I made the switch to a WM (Openbox) I can't go back to a full DE. When I log into GNOME, I immediatly think ("this is kind of annoying...").

jbaerbock
June 16th, 2008, 06:15 AM
So I'm rather baffled. What exactly classifies a DE vs a WM? And how does one switch to a WM vs a DE?

RiceMonster
June 16th, 2008, 06:19 AM
So I'm rather baffled. What exactly classifies a DE vs a WM? And how does one switch to a WM vs a DE?

GNOME, KDE, and Xfce are all DEs (Desktop Environment). To switch to a WM, you have to install one and log into it. Fluxbox and IceWM are WMs.

A WM is just a window manager. All it does is control your windows and doesn't come with a whole bunch of other utilities like a control center, the ability to use desktop icons, etc. Some of them don't come with a panel or something to change the background with by default. They're a lot more simplistic, and you usually configure them by editing text files. If you like minimalism, speed, simplicity and customization, a WM is the way to go.

akiratheoni
June 16th, 2008, 06:38 AM
I know what you mean. Once I made the switch to a WM (Openbox) I can't go back to a full DE. When I log into GNOME, I immediatly think ("this is kind of annoying...").

When I log onto gnome, i think "this is taking WAY too long..."

bufsabre666
June 16th, 2008, 06:43 AM
When I log onto gnome, i think "this is taking WAY too long..."

when i log onto gnome i think "time to check my email"

FuturePilot
June 16th, 2008, 06:47 AM

lol, hey me too :lolflag:

barbedsaber
June 16th, 2008, 08:44 AM

we should start a group

kevin11951
June 16th, 2008, 08:47 AM
we should start a group

a mailing list?

bufsabre666
June 16th, 2008, 08:55 AM
we should start a group

im down, whats the name? 'people who like gnome and email'?

kevin11951
June 16th, 2008, 09:34 AM
im down, whats the name? 'people who like gnome and email'?

actually, a non-super-technical gnome fan group would be cool

bufsabre666
June 16th, 2008, 09:43 AM
actually, a non-super-technical gnome fan group would be cool

done
http://ubuntuforums.org/group.php?groupid=171

kevin11951
June 16th, 2008, 10:12 AM
done
http://ubuntuforums.org/group.php?groupid=171

EDIT: added 2 pics of gnome and email for no reason

renzokuken
June 16th, 2008, 01:06 PM
sign me up, seems to be all i use my desktop at home for these days....that and a bit of anime/tvshow watching.

all i really need is Gnome + Firefox + mplayer + Thunderbird ........

barbedsaber
June 16th, 2008, 01:18 PM
roflmao :)