PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Google Earth

Lorna
June 16th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Hi all you amazing programmers!

I love google earth to spy on my husband, see where his car is...lol anyway I downloaded the new GoogleEarthLinux.bin file from Google but can't for the life of me work out how to install it? Any brainy boy able to assist me with my little problem?

Lorna

iaculallad
June 16th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Say GoogleEarthLinux.bin is downloaded on your Desktop:

Change directory to your desktop:

cd ~/Desktop

Change the file permission so you could execute it:

sudo chmod +x GoogleEarthLinux.bin

Run the executable:

sudo ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin

*sudo - just in case

ChameleonDave
June 16th, 2008, 03:37 AM
I imagine that you just have to put the file on your desktop, open a command-line terminal, and type this:

sudo ~/Desktop/GoogleEarthLinux.bin

Google Earth is also simply available in the Ubuntu repositories. Providing that you have the correct repositories enabled, the following command will download and install Google Earth automatically:

sudo apt-get install google-earth

I'm actually on Windows today, so I can't check.

sbungay
June 16th, 2008, 04:10 AM
While on the topic of Google Earth...
Latest update of xorg 3:1.2.0-3 seems to break Google earth :(. Each time the Google earth app loads the X server restarts, rather nasty this. Downloaded the latest version of the Google app to see if there was a fix on their end and so far there is no joy.
Is there a way to back out an "upgrade"?

Sabata
June 16th, 2008, 04:29 AM
While on the topic of Google Earth...
Latest update of xorg 3:1.2.0-3 seems to break Google earth :(. Each time the Google earth app loads the X server restarts, rather nasty this. Downloaded the latest version of the Google app to see if there was a fix on their end and so far there is no joy.
Is there a way to back out an "upgrade"?
So it's not only me... ](*,)

I just ran into this problem as well and even downloaded the beta version a minute ago to try, but figured it best to stop in here first. Looks like there's no use installing it until someone smarter than me comes up with a solution. :(

vishzilla
June 16th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Google Earth is available in the Medibuntu repos.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

after enabling the repos,
sudo apt-get install googleearth

sbungay
June 16th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Google Earth is available in the Medibuntu repos.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

after enabling the repos,
sudo apt-get install googleearth

I'm not sure who that post was targeted at, but the mediubuntu version of Google Earth also does not work with the "upgrade" to xorg that came down last week.
Solution so far.. run Google Earth in XP in VirtualBox using OpenGL Emulation... this is just SO wrong.

Lorna
June 18th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Thank you to everyone for your help....You Rock!

Patch87
June 19th, 2008, 08:12 PM
What Lorna said!!! you guys:guitar::guitar: double Rock!!!