PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu messes up windows

jacobnorton
June 16th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Alright, I had Ubuntu and Windows XP, and for a while I never logged onto Windows XP. After a while of not using xp, I decided to log back on. Surprisingly, my windows was all messed up.

So i uninstalled ubuntu.

Now i'm ready to dual boot again. But this time I wanna try and figure out why it was all messed up. My desktop background changed, i couldnt connect to anything, nothing worked.

So any tips on what i did wrong and how to avoid it?

techstop
June 16th, 2008, 03:00 AM
What makes you say the ubuntu was responsible for "messing up" Windows? In my experience, Windows is more than capable of messing itself up. It is exceedingly unlikely that ubuntu had anything to do with it.

jacobnorton
June 16th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Well my Windows ran perfectly without any flaws until I installed Ubuntu, And now i'm really missing ubuntu. But it only happened after I installed Ubuntu.

Wandering
June 16th, 2008, 03:54 AM
I don't know that you did anything wrong, nor is it likely that the installation or removal of Ubuntu had any effect on Windows of any version. Ubuntu respects the existence of other operating systems, and will not touch their files.

Now, if you install Ubuntu and then XP, Windows will raise heck with Ubuntu.

So, Clean it all up. Create a partition for Windows and leave an empty space on the disk for Ubuntu. Do a clean install of XP and configure it to suit.Then install Ubuntu in the empty space. It won't touch XP.

It's been done thousands of times, so there is much confidence in the approach. Good luck.