PDA

View Full Version : I need help with my website.

Masterj15
June 16th, 2008, 02:48 AM
I'm opening my own business. Its building and repairing computers. I made a website and I wanted to know.......

How to get a background picture to come up and how to make it look more professional. I used to be good at HTML and XML but I've practiced in a long time and I would like some help.

Other thoughts for the business or the website would be appreciated.

http://jsrepairplace.googlepages.com/home

Thanks in advance.

ad_267
June 16th, 2008, 02:56 AM
For a background image you use this in your CSS in whatever element you want, eg in between body {}:

background-image:url(path/to/your/image.png);

I find this is a good reference site: http://www.w3schools.com/

Have a look here for design and coding inspiration: http://www.opendesigns.org/

Based on your design so far I would recommend having a bit more padding around the links on the left so they are easier to read and a some colour and photos would be good. See http://www.sxc.hu/ for good free stock photos.

It also might be confusing for some people having the location of the navigation menu change when they go to a page off the home page.

Le-Froid
June 16th, 2008, 02:57 AM
I would use CSS code like:

body{
background-image: url("url/to/image");
}

for a background image.
Users just like simplicity to the websites, btw ;)

cardinals_fan
June 16th, 2008, 03:13 AM
I can change the windows operating system to Linux, Mac, solars and much more
"solars" should probably be changed to Solaris ;)

And why do you list Mac? You're in the US, so installing OS X on a non-Mac violates the EULA and therefore the law.

zmjjmz
June 16th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Not all people like Windows xp, or vista. Some people like the mac operating system. This is where I come into the picture because I can change your operating system in a short period of time. I can change your OS to windows, mac, Linux and more. I can also upgrade your Operating system if you so disire.
Let me grammar/spelling nazi

This is how it should be:

Not all people like Windows XP or Windows Vista. Some people like the Mac operating system. <--(Kinda bad sentence) This is where I come into the picture. I can change your operating system in a short period of time. I can change your OS to Windows, Mac, Linux and more. I can also upgrade your Operating System if you so desire.
"Some people like the Mac operating system" doesn't sound right...
Also, just gonna say, installing MacOS is illegal, so I wouldn't offer it.

zmjjmz
June 16th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Might as well make this post useful...

The website for all compture repair.
I believe you meant "computer"

zmjjmz
June 16th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Ok, being the impatient Mr. Pedantic that I am, I'm going to use this post as like a master of all your grammar/spelling mistakes (except the ones above)
(the parts in bold are the additions)

Changing the operating system is one of my favorite things to do for computers
(I just changed the entire sentence)

It is my job to eradicate these things from your computer

(when it comes to things like viruses)
I think you should remove that.

Trojan horses, spam, pop-ups

and who you
who should be how

* Add move protection
Did you mean "* Add virus protection"?

* Help others to become more aware of viruses
remove the "to"

Page on computer virus removal
Should be "Computer virus removal"

Well now you can! Putting your computer back to the original state has never been simpler.

* Keep programs that you want, still intact.

* Put computer back to any date you desire (windows only)
I believe this functionality is in Linux too...

Page on restoring your computer
Should be "Restoring your computer"
Ok, on Operating system change, all "Os" should be "OS", and change "Page on Operating system change" to "Change your Operating System"

Have you ever wanted to see what your computer can really do? Then come on by and I'll make your system run like never before. If there are any programs you want then I can get and install them for you.
Also, use bold (<b> </b>) instead of caps.

* Add cool games, emulators, and ROMs
I'd question the legality of the ROMs part.

* Make your Operating system look sleek, new, and make it fit your personality best
fix'd
Change "page on computer modifications" to "Modify your computer"

* Replace old parts with new ones
Fix'd

* Add new parts
Fix'd
Change "page about replacing parts" to "Replace and upgrade your parts"

Computers slow down due to lack of hard drive space, too much RAM being used, and other issues. I'm here to make your computer run as quick as possible without deleting any of your programs that you have installed on your computer. I can also install parts to make your computer run faster than when you first bought your computer. Things such as adding RAM, hard drive space, and a graphics accelerator can make your computer run at top speed.
fix'd
And change "Page on optimum computer perfeforemance" to "Make your computer faster"

Because of the busy schedule that some have, it is hard to go out and try to fix your computer. It can also be a lot of money to try and get techincal support to come to your house and work on your computer. So, if you so desire, I can work on your computer at your own house! You can see what I'm doing and therefore point out things that are of importance to you. I can also show you the problem with your computer first hand! Having your computer fixed at your own home means that your computer can be fixed without even leaving your house! You don't even have to disconnect anything!
Fix'd

* Any important details can be told to me while I'm working on your computer.
Change "Page on how I work" to "I can do home visits too!"
On the "Information" page, change "A page on information" to "About me"

I think that's it.
No offense, but do you actually speak english?

jbaerbock
June 16th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Like the look but there are quite a few spelling and grammar errors. The most noticeable of them being the title line on the front page you have Compture instead of Computer :P.

I tried doing this same thing once and it was a huge flop because most people just go to BestBuy and overpay.

zmjjmz
June 16th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Like the look but there are quite a few spelling and grammar errors. The most noticeable of them being the title line on the front page you have Compture instead of Computer :P.

See the post above yours? :-P

id1337x
June 16th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Wow you should pick up a book on design and read it. You seriously need to use contrast much better as of now your text is hard to read. The best thing and the most professional look in feel is a light background with dark text. Just remember that beginners like to start with a dark background and light text but it isn't as professional.

Besides you also should fix your buttons:

.button{
padding: 10px;
font-weight: bold;
}

.button:hover{
background-color: #0000ff;
}

Add padding increase the boldness and add some better hover effects with CSS code. Also you should learn PHP and create a .inc file that has your menu so that your layout works better.

Yuki_Nagato
June 16th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Are you a local business? You might want to specify where you are located on your homepage.

cardinals_fan
June 16th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Are you a local business? You might want to specify where you are located on your homepage.
The area code is enough to locate SE Pennsylvania. That should do it.

Masterj15
June 16th, 2008, 06:39 AM
OMG!!! Thanks so much guys for checking out my site :)

1. Thanks for the grammar fixes. I type to fast and I don't notice some of the mistakes I leave. (this is why I love Firefox's grammar correction)

2. Thanks for the help with the background. I'm going to try it out now (I'm not sure if Google pages uses css or php but this worth a shot)

3. Thanks for the advance on how to make the website look more professional.I'm new in the business field so these ideas, I am certainly taking heed of.

4. Thanks for telling me about the legalities regarding the mac osx. I never knew that. I wonder where I can find laws on computers.......... If someone caN SHOW ME A SITE THEN THAT WOULD BE COOL. :)

5. If i'm forgetting anything then please say so.

I'll be updating my site right now. :)

zmjjmz
June 16th, 2008, 02:37 PM
You may want to put your site in your sig, for starters.

Masterj15
June 16th, 2008, 04:59 PM
ok now I have serious problem! google wont allow me to put a background image that easily. This is all the info I could find.

http://groups.google.com/group/GPC-How-to/browse_thread/thread/aae89428a3a7d534/104631eff0680f90

I have NO CLUE WHAT THEIR SAYING!

billgoldberg
June 16th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Why don't you just use a html/css template?

Something like this might be good (together with some gimp'd pictures).

http://www.freecsstemplates.org/preview/essence

That being said, you'll need to be in the yellow pages, and in local papers/magazines, ...

You'll need to pass out "flyers", and glue them to boards, ...

You'll also need a top level domain (xxx.com) and own host.

And you'll have to make sure there aren't any spelling errors.

Masterj15
June 16th, 2008, 06:48 PM
This doesn't make sense at all. How do you use css? Do you upload it and if so where do you type it in the html editor? Nothing has come close to working what so ever. I just keep getting words. I NEED this to work and people keep telling me to do something that I have no clue what their talking about............

its like you guys are speaking another language.

BackwardsDown
June 16th, 2008, 07:34 PM
You can't use CSS with the googlepages-wizard. With CSS in combination with HTML and maybe PHP you can create website's yourself. Also you need to have to buy online storage to host your website.

Masterj15
June 17th, 2008, 12:34 AM
I saw background images on googlepages before!!!!!

here: http://philippe.chappuis.googlepages.com/full-background

zmjjmz
June 17th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Erm.
Please don't use an actual picture for a background.
You can't tell who has what resolution, and thus for some people it repeats.
If you can use a repeatable (like a plain color or vertical gradient) for a background, that'd be better.

Things such as Trojan horses, viruses, and e-mail can be a thing of the past.
What here is wrong with this sentence?
(hint: it has to do with e-mail)

Masterj15
June 17th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Erm.
If you can use a repeatable (like a plain color or vertical gradient) for a background, that'd be better.

Thanks man! You really good at grammar correction. :) I love the ubuntu forums. :)

ice60
June 17th, 2008, 12:51 AM
this is wrong -
(information is at the below), it should read something like -(information below)

this is wrong -
I'm sure that you will satisfied with my what I can do for your computer.

it should read something like -
I'm sure you will be satisfied with what I can do for your computer.

this might be wrong, i'm not sure??

Especially when you don't know what the problem can be.

i'm not sure, but i think it should read '...could be.'

this is wrong too lol
I can replace part that might have stopped working.

css lets you style the whole site with one page, you do all the styleing (css) on one page and the content (x/html) on the other pages.

i'm absolutely useless at web dev otherwise i'd just do it for you lol

Masterj15
June 17th, 2008, 05:32 AM
I've been updating and I'm almost done! Thanks alot people!

ad_267
June 17th, 2008, 05:43 AM
I've been updating and I'm almost done! Thanks alot people!

Wow that looks a lot better. It's a lot easier to read.

I think you need to read everything through carefully to sort out the grammar. There's still quite a few things that aren't correct. A few examples:

Kepp programs that you want, still in tack.
Should be: Keep programs that you want intact.

And "Computer restore" should probably be "Computer Restoration"

Masterj15
June 17th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Wow that looks a lot better. It's a lot easier to read.

I think you need to read everything through carefully to sort out the grammar. There's still quite a few things that aren't correct. A few examples:

Kepp programs that you want, still in tack.
Should be: Keep programs that you want intact.

And "Computer restore" should probably be "Computer Restoration"

Cool I put that in now, after that I'm heading to bed. (it 12:58 where I live. lol)

WorldTripping
June 17th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Erm.

Actually, it's pretty simple to determine who has what screen resolution.

Use something like this in your <head>:

<head>

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="resources/stylesheets/cssMain.css">

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
<!--

HorizRes()

function HorizRes()
{
var HorizRes = "";
HorizRes=window.screen.availWidth
if ((HorizRes == 640) || (HorizRes == 800) || (HorizRes == 1024) || (HorizRes==1280))
{
document.write("<link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' href='resources/stylesheets/cssBgd" + HorizRes +".css'>");
}
else
document.write("<link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' href='resources/stylesheets/cssBgdDefault.css'>");
}

//-->
</script>

</head>

HorizRes will return an integer, so you will get a string like 'cssBgd800.css' if it was an 800x??? resolution.

Your cssMain.css contains all of the site wide css settings, and cssBgd800.css contains something like:

.bgdMainLogo
{
background-color: #87CEEB;
background-image: url(../backgrounds/bgdMainLogo800.jpg);
background-repeat: no-repeat;
background-position: left top;
}

And make different css files (and obviously different background images) for the different resolutions.

Anything can be done, you are only limited by your imagination.

SupaSonic
June 17th, 2008, 12:48 PM
But that's bad design. You can't possibly have separate css files for _every_ resolution. It's more of a hack really.

For some useful advice, I'd use less italic if i were you, especially for links, they are hard to read. Leave the underline be and maybe make them a different color? Also, I'd use the hover css to make some kind of an effect when the user puts his mouse over a link, for example, removing the underline.

Masterj15
June 17th, 2008, 03:02 PM
whoa, That sounds hard but, hey! I have time learn. I never knew how css could play any important role in html. I always knew html but not php or css.

rickyjones
June 17th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I highly recommend your own domain name and web host. Much more professional than being attached to a Google Pages account.

Just my experience - I usually stay away from technical businesses that do not invest in a quality domain name and hosting.

Thanks,
Richard

zmjjmz
June 17th, 2008, 05:30 PM
That site looks much better now!

timcredible
June 17th, 2008, 05:33 PM
if you want your site to look professional, i would recommend looking at joomla (http://joomla.org).

Masterj15
June 17th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I highly recommend your own domain name and web host. Much more professional than being attached to a Google Pages account.

Just my experience - I usually stay away from technical businesses that do not invest in a quality domain name and hosting.

Thanks,
Richard

their are two things that are stopping me from getting my own domain name:

1. Jujimufu, (www.trickstutorials.com) has to pay monthly, to keep his site up. Will I have to pay monthly as well? (based on the bandwidth) Because I don't have that type of money, to be paying an extra bill when my business didn't even start yet.

2. Will I have to create the website over? If so, then that is fine but I really like the progression that this one is has.

rickyjones
June 17th, 2008, 06:50 PM
their are two things that are stopping me from getting my own domain name:

1. Jujimufu, (www.trickstutorials.com) has to pay monthly, to keep his site up. Will I have to pay monthly as well? (based on the bandwidth) Because I don't have that type of money, to be paying an extra bill when my business didn't even start yet.

2. Will I have to create the website over? If so, then that is fine but I really like the progression that this one is has.

1. I host with Godaddy.com. I purchased a domain name and the economy linux hosting package at the same time. This was a two year commitment. Total cost? $80USD. One up-front cost. No monthly fees. You may be charged a fee if you go over your bandwidth but I use this hosting package for my own consulting site (http://www.rrcomputerconsulting.com) along with smaller projects for clients and I've never even come close to the bandwidth restriction.

2. You'll need to upload your current HTML/PHP/CSS files, but you should not have to recreate everything unless you are using specific google tools to do everything. I hand code my websites so I always have the raw .html files.

Sincerely,
Richard

Masterj15
June 17th, 2008, 06:54 PM
1. I host with Godaddy.com. I purchased a domain name and the economy linux hosting package at the same time. This was a two year commitment. Total cost? $80USD. One up-front cost. No monthly fees. You may be charged a fee if you go over your bandwidth but I use this hosting package for my own consulting site (http://www.rrcomputerconsulting.com) along with smaller projects for clients and I've never even come close to the bandwidth restriction.

2. You'll need to upload your current HTML/PHP/CSS files, but you should not have to recreate everything unless you are using specific google tools to do everything. I hand code my websites so I always have the raw .html files.

Sincerely,
Richard

cool! I check out hosting soon! I did have hosting with x11 but the site didn't have its domain. I post when I get my final site up!